AFVolt

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Country flag
I’ve never owned a Ford so I don’t know how their AC system is.

I currently have a Chevy Volt and it is prone to causing a musty smell due to the condensation left in the AC system. I’ve read that it’s a common problem with Chevy vehicles.

In trying to eliminate that smell, about 5 minutes before I arrive at my destination I turn of the AC and just use the fan to try and “dry” out the condensation.

It works for the most part, but since it’s on Fan only when I turn my Volt off, preconditioning the cabin for the next trip doesn’t work well.

Generally, how are Ford vehicles with this? I would expect the Mache to be similar as other Ford vehicles.
Sponsored

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag

I currently have a Chevy Volt and it is prone to causing a musty smell due to the condensation left in the AC system. I’ve read that it’s a common problem with Chevy vehicles.

In trying to eliminate that smell, about 5 minutes before I arrive at my destination I turn of the AC and just use the fan to try and “dry” out the condensation.

It works for the most part, but since it’s on Fan only when I turn my Volt off, preconditioning the cabin for the next trip doesn’t work well.

Generally, how are Ford vehicles with this? I would expect the Mache to be similar as other Ford vehicles.
I haven't experienced that in any of the Ford's (about a dozen vehicles over the years, including the Focus Electric and the C-Max Energi) we've owned.

In addition: I haven't experienced that in our Bolt either.

More frequently our vehicles end up smelling like take out food...you know pandemic and all.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag

It's a difficult question for us to give you an accurate, "general" answer. Unless we've owned and used the AC in hundreds of recent Fords or something?

My Fusion was fine, never an odor issue other than if I foolishly left old gym clothes in the cabin.

My Fiesta gets the old gym socks smell for the first few minutes when I run the AC on VERY HOT DRY days only. The car has to be out in direct sun for quite a while, and it has to be above 105 or so outside, for me to notice it. I've tried replacing the cabin filter, and yes, I've stopped keeping old gym clothes in the car.

So really, it maybe just depends on your environmental conditions and YOUR specific car.

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag

The HVAC design is shared with the 2019+ Focus, 2020+ Escape, Explorer, Lincoln Aviator, Lincoln Corsair, and now the 2021 Mach-E and 2021 Bronco Sport. I would think we would have heard some issues by now if there were odor issues. I think we should be fine. :)

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
The HVAC design is shared with the 2019+ Focus, 2020+ Escape, Explorer, Lincoln Aviator, Lincoln Corsair, and now the 2021 Mach-E and 2021 Bronco Sport. I would think we would have heard some issues by now if there were odor issues. I think we should be fine. :)
Are you basing this on the choice of cabin air filter, or something more substantial than that?

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
All three Focus Electric vehicles in our family had a sweaty sock smell from time to time after using the A/C and parking it for a short time. The smell was noticed during the first few minutes of the next drive cycle. That smell vanished after the first summer and did not return for the following summer seasons.

Only thing I can think of is the PTC heater baked or cured something in the HVAC system that might have been causing the smell?

None of our ICE powered Ford vehicles have ever had a musty smell that we have noticed but it is very dry where I live so maybe it is climate related?

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
No, not a real problem I've noticed with my last 4 Fords. I do however seem to have an issue if I leave the front defroster on. Depending on humidity and temperature, I will often then see condensation on the inside of the windshield the next day. Even if it doesn't have condensation when I first get in, after I start it on a humid/rainy day it fogs up immediately.

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Are you basing this on the choice of cabin air filter, or something more substantial than that?
The actual HVAC design is the same with only minor modifications (Explorer/Aviator are "mostly" the same, the "orange" part in the pic is stretched out on Explorer/Aviator as the vehicle is wider). Nothing that would impact water management to OP's question.

Ford Mustang Mach-E General Ford AC question 1610942352640

In fact, the little green bit is only needed because the Mach-E's floor is flat, and the actual HVAC was carried over from ICE vehicles and designed to mate to a transmission tunnel, so we need this little adapter to bridge the gap between the carryover HVAC and the Mach-E's all-new flat floor.

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
All three Focus Electric vehicles in our family had a sweaty sock smell from time to time after using the A/C and parking it for a short time. The smell was noticed during the first few minutes of the next drive cycle. That smell vanished after the first summer and did not return for the following summer seasons.

Only thing I can think of is the PTC heater baked or cured something in the HVAC system that might have been causing the smell?

None of our ICE powered Ford vehicles have ever had a musty smell that we have noticed but it is very dry where I live so maybe it is climate related?
The Focus Electric didn't have a PTC inside the cabin, it was a liquid PTC just like the Mach-E has. Focus Electric had the same HVAC as the normal Focus.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
The Focus Electric didn't have a PTC inside the cabin, it was a liquid PTC just like the Mach-E has. Focus Electric had the same HVAC as the normal Focus.
Correct. But the warm fluid runs through a heater core that warms air in the cabin. That warm air may have affected something in the ductwork blend door area. Maybe weather stripping or sealant?

All we know is the smell didnt return after our first winter. For any of the three cars. All three cars originated from a certain dealership in SD where they hardly were ever used. By the time they arrived in AZ a year later they had only accumulated a few hundred miles on the odometer. I wonder if sitting down in San Diego had anything to do with the smell.

Any ideas?

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Correct. But the warm fluid runs through a heater core that warms air in the cabin. That warm air may have affected something in the ductwork blend door area. Maybe weather stripping or sealant?

All we know is the smell didnt return after our first winter. For any of the three cars. All three cars originated from a certain dealership in SD where they hardly were ever used. By the time they arrived in AZ a year later they had only accumulated a few hundred miles on the odometer. I wonder if sitting down in San Diego had anything to do with the smell.

Any ideas?
It's the exact same heater core as the gas Focus, and normal coolant. There's nothing "EV" about the Focus Electric's HVAC whatsoever.

If the Focus Electric had a musty evaporator smell, a Focus ST or a 2.0L Focus SE could have the same issue.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
It's the exact same heater core as the gas Focus, and normal coolant. There's nothing "EV" about the Focus Electric's HVAC whatsoever.

If the Focus Electric had a musty evaporator smell, a Focus ST or a 2.0L Focus SE could have the same issue.
It smelled of sweaty feet.
In fact, my niece picked up her girls from school one day and scolded them for taking off their shoes in the car. They both replied from the rear seat. "Mommy, we are still wearing our shoes.....it must your feet that are making that smell!"

In my case.....I had no one else to blame as I ride alone most days.
:)

Similar stories posted on the Focus Electric forums back when they were new. Might also have been on the Focus Forum as well.....not sure.

Crilly

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Livewire prius prime Mach e. In 3 weeks if it was built yesterday
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Generally, that smell comes when the coil freezes over.

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
It smelled of sweaty feet.
In fact, my niece picked up her girls from school one day and scolded them for taking off their shoes in the car. They both replied from the rear seat. "Mommy, we are still wearing our shoes.....it must your feet that are making that smell!"

In my case.....I had no one else to blame as I ride alone most days.
:)

Similar stories posted on the Focus Electric forums back when they were new. Might also have been on the Focus Forum as well.....not sure.
It was an issue on the gas Focus too is what I'm saying.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Focus Electric HVAC:
Ford Mustang Mach-E General Ford AC question 1610979143935

Ford Mustang Mach-E General Ford AC question 1610979290535

The core and dash component for Focus Electric HVAC is the same part # as the ICE version. The incoming coolant is heated by PTC units.