Getting a new windshield next week, any advice?

Thunderanger

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select, 2019 Ram 1500
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Dealer is doing the install with an OEM windshield. They are going to recalibrate everything too.

While they have it, which is gonna be about 2 days to let the epoxy dry and program everything, they are going to check for recalls, software updates, etc and take care of those for us. Am I forgetting anything? Any advice?
Sponsored

ADDZ71

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 MME Premium ER AWD (sold) 22 MME GT (Del 5/22)
Occupation
Lithium expert
Country flag
Safelite replaced my windshield in about two hours. Not sure why a dealer would need two days other than them wanting flexibility on scheduling.

OP
OP
Thunderanger

Thunderanger

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Country flag
They told me they wanted the epoxy to really set before they started the calibrating, so they were going to remove and replace in the AM, then let it sit overnight before calibrating and doing other software updates, etc.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
They told me they wanted the epoxy to really set before they started the calibrating, so they were going to remove and replace in the AM, then let it sit overnight before calibrating and doing other software updates, etc.
I'm guessing they're farming this out to a glass shop and are padding the time by 1.5 days in case the glass guy doesn't show up at their lot when expected, or the run into issues while updating your modules (unrelated to the glass repair).

Recalibration on the Mach-E is to drive it on a normal, striped roadway for about half a mile.

OP
OP
Thunderanger

Thunderanger

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Doing it in house.

bbhaag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maverick XLT, Mustang Mach-E GT Performance
Country flag
Seems about right to me especially for a dealership that is doing this in house. Half a day for the glass and another day or so for doing the updates that you requested. That's the big one IMO. If you have a lot of updates that could take hours and hours for all of them to install.

OP
OP
Thunderanger

Thunderanger

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Seems about right to me especially for a dealership that is doing this in house. Half a day for the glass and another day or so for doing the updates that you requested. That's the big one IMO. If you have a lot of updates that could take hours and hours for all of them to install.
They aren't charging me for all the updates since they are charging me for the recalibration and will have the car so long. So with luck, I'll have all that is available after this. We think our windshield may have come from the factory cracked. The cracks are in a barely perceptible spot in the corner on the upper driver's side.

IMG_1855 Large.jpeg

IMG_1854 Large.jpeg

IMG_1853 Large.jpeg

OP
OP
Thunderanger

Thunderanger

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Country flag
All went well. On top of fixing the cracked windshield and doing the HVAC update, the car seems to have less wind noise.
Sponsored