Gray Bar Opinions, Please

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Perhaps that's true. Where do they show up? I presume in the panel behind the steering wheel, but where?

Again, mildly cool weather and I was able to accelerate quickly from 70MPH to 100MPH to pass a semi and never experienced a power lag. To be honest, I didn't need to get going that fast, I just didn't pay attention and was going 100MPH before I realized it.
They appear in the microscopic power meter at the bottom left, you will have dashed grey bars showing you where your power cap is along with a solid grey bar that slowly clears when you lift off when you get really hobbled by system which is actually rather easy to get happen.

Most EVs with a power meter have it instead of a rev counter with a nice large circular display or bar showing, power usage / regen along with any power limitations which is inevitable as charge lowers. The best ones also have the point the friction brakes are used in the regen portion.

Your GTPE is not magic it will have grey bars the fact you don't notice them probably explains why Ford made the meter microscopic in the first place as if they used a proper sized one more people would actually see how nobbled the vehicle is.

Plenty of people won't feel any limitations or have problems in there normal day to day driving which is fine, but lets not sugar coat what is a serious limitation for what is sold and marketed as the performance trim.
Sponsored

The Black Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Select Mach E+Comfort and Tech, 2015 Mini Cooper
Country flag
It seems like you are more performance-oriented than tech. For that reason, I think you will like the GTPE. You are the first person I would recommend this car to.

I have owned the car for two years now, and at this point, I firmly do not recommend it to most. It's just not worth the hassle of a 60-80k car.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
That is very unusual. For me the first gray bar appears at around 77% SoCD. To get maximum power you need a full charge, according to Ford and my car's display.
The other morning I had a single grey bar at 82% SoCD. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ© That was a little surprising. Heading back from work in the afternoon I noticed 3 bars at about 79%. I wasnā€™t hammering the car, just driving like it has a bad HVBJB. šŸ¤ŖšŸ©

Darauk

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MME GT PE, 2020 F-150, 2019 Altima
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Here is where you will see the gray bars:

20230325_205748.jpg

This is my car sitting in my garage tonight and at very warm temperatures. And I have one bar.

I have measured the WOT current draw at 1 bar and it is still over 1,000 Amps, so one bar isn't significant. But it means the car isn't at full power.
Iā€™ll keep an eye out for it. Iā€™m sure thereā€™s been a gray bar now and again, but Iā€™ve never noticed, possibly because that meter is so small, like @buzznwood mentioned.

I have to assume I would have noticed if there were more than a couple bars and I would have surely noticed 12-15, so itā€™s still not been a problem for me. And by problem, I mean any noticeable power lag or delay.

The car pretty much does everything I ask it to. (Except PaaK or scheduling charging/departure times from FordPass. Those almost never work.)

And, in case it matters, I am a fairly conservative type of driver. I donā€™t get all that sporty with my GTPE, outside the occasional quick acceleration from a stop. I usually use Engage or sometimes Whisper if itā€™s raining heavy or thereā€™s snow.

Last edited:

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
Iā€™ll keep an eye out for it. Iā€™m sure thereā€™s been a gray bar now and again, but Iā€™ve never noticed, possibly because that meter is so small, like @buzznwood mentioned.

I have to assume I would have noticed if there were more than a couple bars and I would have surely noticed 12-15, so itā€™s still not been a problem for me. And by problem, I mean any noticeable power lag or delay.

The car pretty much does everything I ask it to. (Except PaaK or scheduling charging/departure times from FordPass. Those almost never work.)

And, in case it matters, I am a fairly conservative type of driver. I donā€™t get all that sporty with my GTPE, outside the occasional quick acceleration from a stop. I usually use Engage or sometimes Whisper if itā€™s raining heavy or thereā€™s snow.
Even when my car has over 50% gray bars, from a stoplight it is quicker than my wife's XT5. So if you drive conservatively, it is easy to see why you would not have noticed the power limitation. Smash the pedal to the floor and you will instantly know.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag

Which explains why you wonā€™t really notice nor care about the loss of power.

If all you need is a short burst of acceleration, this car should meet and exceed your expectations.

Itā€™s when you push it a little beyond that or even worse, try to push it hard that you come up wanting.

Itā€™s possible (multiple videos showing it) to make this car slower than pretty much ANY normal new car on the road. (Yes, it would get dusted by a minivan) when you push it hard.

And thatā€™s just sad for a performance car that starts out so ridiculously fast.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I can personally confirm that the MME GTPE is ā€œMustang GT quickā€ā€¦smoked an ICE GT from 0-70 at 42% SOC (which I consider low).
Now try a roll race with a Honda Accord at that state of charge.

Your comment just proves more how much this car is a ā€œtale of two beasts.ā€

Insanely fast from a stop (hangs with or beats about anything youā€™d find at a stoplight). But from a roll or with gray bars? Oof. Grocery getter sedan or worse.
Sponsored