Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 GTPE
Occupation
Electrical engineer
Country flag
Hello,
I am circling and circling....before buying; I like this vehicle...the MME GTPE. Or maybe I really want to like it. Yes, I really want to like this vehicle. I am anti Tesla. And I am old enough to not consider Kia and Hyundai to be 'real' auto companies. Anyway I have read about about the top end limit and the 5 second governor. Although a performance enthusiast, I could probably be fine with these things. As I unwrap this onion, I am reading about gray bars....gray bars in cool weather....gray bars at 70% and less....gray bars here...gray bars there....all prohibiting full performance. Seems troubling.

Opinions; Are the gray bars a problem for you?
Sponsored

AKgrampy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Ford F-150, Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
No - fine in the summer and who needs full power when the roads are icy as they are her in Fairbanks all winter. I keep my car in a garage so I start the day with no bars but eventually get to about 50% during the day. No impacts on my driving. Mostly in-town but also always includes some 50 to 55 mph sections.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
The gray bars have essentially never been an issue for me. I say "essentially" because I have experienced marginally noticeable power reductions once or twice, but nothing in a way that was of any real concern to me. However I don't track the car, nor do I constantly push the car to its limits. But simply put, the car does what I need it to, when I need it to. I've never had an experience otherwise (not counting a couple service issues).

HondaRacer

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 MME GT
Country flag
Not an issue at all, unless you intend to be competing on the track. The GT has more than enough power to be a lot of fun and you’re probably going to love the car enough to take care of it rather than trying to shave 0.1 seconds off your 0-60 times.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
I never notice them in driving. I definitely see them when I glance at them every once in a while, but only ever "hit them" when showing off the acceleration. I drive very spirited and floor it on the freeway and am fine. Even when cruising at 78mph, still plenty of speed to pass and floor it up to 100, if needed.

OP
OP
smoke20

smoke20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 GTPE
Occupation
Electrical engineer
Country flag
No - fine in the summer and who needs full power when the roads are icy as they are her in Fairbanks all winter. I keep my car in a garage so I start the day with no bars but eventually get to about 50% during the day. No impacts on my driving. Mostly in-town but also always includes some 50 to 55 mph sections.

It doesn't get much more challenging than a Fairbanks winter. Good stuff! Thanks. We love AK. Flew into Fairbanks, train down to Denali, and then Anchorage, and finally Seward....cruised down to Vancouver and flew home.

Chainspell

First Name
Erich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium 4X, '23 GTPE
Country flag
I was really worried about this issue too when I was considering upgrading to the GTPE. I ended up going for it, and in real-world driving I almost never notice the 5 sec limiter or the gray bars. I've had the GTPE for a little over a month now and came from a Premium 4X.

I have only hit the 5 sec limit once, and I drive pretty spirited most of the time. Where I live there is always traffic so the only time I even have that much room is with a long freeway onramp in the middle of the night (i.e. no other cars around.) I usually only see 1-2 gray bars. I will get a couple more once I get past 70-80 MPH, but they disappear quickly once you drop back down. This isn't a bad thing imo - it's logical there would be less power available if you are already at 80 MPH. The bars just show that visually. The only time I've seen more than a few bars is when my charge was around 20% and it was cold outside.

No regrets.

DarrenT

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E GT Performance
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
3700 miles I was happy driver and thought the gray bars not a big deal. But today I received service soon notification and Im really upset. This issue happened not at right time.
You know what to do to have it fixed though, right? Just want to make sure

OP
OP
smoke20

smoke20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 GTPE
Occupation
Electrical engineer
Country flag
What is service soon? Pretty ambiguous....bad?
Sponsored