GT / GT PE Dyno?

tesla2mme

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT in the best color ever made (cyber orange!)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Thanks for the detailed report. Crazy how much power it loses at 50% state of charge. 1/4 run at 94mph. Yikes.
yeah for sure. Now, to be FAIR, it had also done multiple 70-100 runs, one of which I continued until I hit the limiter.

I was definitely misled when I bought the car especially coming from a Tesla MyP where there is no shut down of power.
But it’s ok. The MachE is a wonderful car otherwise. Probably my favorite car ever.
But once they sort out the 5 second issue it’ll be even better
Sponsored

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 4X, ‘14 SS Sedan tuned, ‘17 WRX tuned
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
**EDIT** decided just to keep continuity in this thread for better or worse... Anyway. WHY am I doing this in this thread. Apparently there is no 70-100 pulls available for GT MME's, at least not here, so I bought a Dragy and set out to find a place to do such pulls in a completely legal way, except for "driving to an undisclosed road in Mexico" or whatever the YouTubers say when they break speed laws on roads. This can be consumed guilt-free! No need for public road speeding.

I am also SUPER tired, it has been a long (but fun!!!) day and I remember how much I liked autocross and drag racing. Super awesome time. Watching the tuner cars skirt around the cones, and watching the RC jet guys fly around, was such a rewarding time.

Back to the topic. So what I did was went with my buddy out to a decommissioned NASA test facility, in Patterson, CA where there are autoX events every weekend, with plenty of hoonigans all the time, along with RC planes and fighter jets and all sorts of cool stuff! It is a MASSIVE set of air strips, complete with the 7000+ foot primary runway, that is straight and pretty level (you'll see more later w/ the DRAGY results) and then taxiways and another runway that has been set up with cones, tires etc, as an autoX course. VERY cool, there is video from these events on YT and Reddit, if you wanna see it, worth checking out (not mine).

I imagined awesome space shuttles and stuff landing there in eras past and it felt amazing to be there!

We did a bunch of GoPro 360 stuff, I don't have a channel to upload larger videos to, so I didn't post any of those really awesome exterior videos. I ALSO have GoPro video of one of the pulls from 70-100 showing the instrument cluster in the event that someone wanted to see the numbers click up and the jailbars grow over time.

Methodology for the 70-100 run: I started at the end of the runway, and accelerated slowly and steadily to 70, then jammed it from 70-100 then let the car regenerate as it slowed down. It was cool to see the SoC going up as it slowed down and regenerated.

With that said, one unfortunate component of this test is that we could not hit the EA station on the way as it was *FULL* (shocker) so we had to do the run with a suboptimal 56% starting SoC. Temperature was great, not too hot, not too cold. Surface was very nice, as people routinely use it, and there are car clubs that appear to take active roles in maintaining it as much as people can.

I noticed on the first run that there was a very slight slope of -0.5% so made sure I ran it back as well and then back the other way one more time.

Dragy is such a cool module. Unbelievable it is such an inexpensive tool for what it is capable of doing.

Run 1 - 6.52 seconds with a downward slope
Run 2 - 6.84 seconds with an upward slope
Run 3 - 6.54 seconds with a downward slope

I saw a European YT content creator show the OBD2 + CarScanner data on the screen and I feel like people like seeing it on the comments and such. Therefore, I decided to screen cap the CarScanner data as I did the very last run.

I had to be careful with the SoC, because I had a decent drive back home, and indeed, ended back at the barn with a REALLY low SoC, moreso than I was prepared to see! (13%, yikes!)

I ran one 1/4 mile test with my buddy in the vehicle, also on the "upslope" direction (0.40%) just to stack the deck against the car. The run occurred at the end before we thanked the Road Gods for the opportunity to drive there, and headed back out. At 51% SoC, it was a 4.27 seconds 0-60, 1/8 mile was 8.18 seconds @ 82.50, and 1/4 mile was 13.19 seconds at 94.83 miles per hour. The 5-second power down was palpable on wide open throttle which is, admittedly, difficult to experience on roads controlled by speed limits and traffic laws that aren't closed road courses.

All testing done in "unbridled mode" not that it makes a difference at all for the "standard" GT.

I hope that this is useful to someone. In the very least, it was a lot of fun, a good road trip with a friend I haven't seen in a long time, and being out there with a whole bunch of auto enthusiasts was incredible. I would like to do this again, in the same conditions, but 80%+ SoC like I had planned it to be.

Run 1.JPG

Run 2.JPG

Run 3.JPG

IMG-1281.jpg

IMG-5556.jpg
Great job gathering data. I’ll finally go out and get some Dragy vids running my wife’s 4X but in the meantime, here are 3 4X 70-100mph runs here:
Ford Mustang Mach-E GT / GT PE Dyno? 6BCAD686-2019-4198-9926-F5C71A700A78

Ford Mustang Mach-E GT / GT PE Dyno? B85EDDCD-C4DA-45B3-87B0-70B2F8CF65EF

Ford Mustang Mach-E GT / GT PE Dyno? 807799A1-F47C-4E2E-8480-2A86BC51DB22

Just as a point of reference my SS sedan does 70-100mph in 3.9-4.2 depending on DA.

harrysiii

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME GTPE DMG; '18 Pacifica Limited
Country flag
Great job gathering data. I’ll finally go out and get some Dragy vids running my wife’s 4X but in the meantime, here are 3 4X 70-100mph runs here:

Just as a point of reference my SS sedan does 70-100mph in 3.9-4.2 depending on DA.
Those are all at a greater downward slope. When you get a chance maybe you can try again and compare to a closer to flat road and see how different it might be.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Those are all at a greater downward slope. When you get a chance maybe you can try again and compare to a closer to flat road and see how different it might be.
Yes, I take it where I can get it, but, that extra 2 degrees of downward slope ain’t changing the result in the GTs favor.

OP
OP
Mach1E

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I appreciate everyone adding more data (more is certainly better!)

But why can we still not get an apples to apples comparison??

These cars have been out long enough to do a side by side.

Or at the very least find two people to get draggy numbers at similar slope, state of charge, altitude and weather………

Full charge, warm weather, flat ground, near sea level. I.E. ideal normal conditions.

OP
OP
Mach1E

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, I take it where I can get it, but, that extra 2 degrees of downward slope ain’t changing the result in the GTs favor.
An extra 50% charge might though. The 1/4 mile run shows you how down on power it was from the low state of charge.

Reactions: SWO

harrysiii

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 MME GTPE DMG; '18 Pacifica Limited
Country flag
Maybe not, but I think it does. My 0-60 times have been quite different even with a slight slope difference.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
An extra 50% charge might though. The 1/4 mile run shows you how down on power it was from the low state of charge.
Yes, but I’ve run 13.4-13.8 @ 102-103.8mph with SOCs varying between 50-90%, the difference in pull is almost imperceptible until you get below about 40-45% SOC. At least on the 4X.

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Maybe not, but I think it does. My 0-60 times have been quite different even with a slight slope difference.
I’ve seen a difference off .2-.3 at most on my SS sedan with slope varying from +1 to -2-3%, physics being what it is I expect a fairly similar result with the 4X. That said, there is a spot where I can get a full 1/4 mile in and the slope is close to 0. I just have to get over there when traffic is non existent.

OP
OP
Mach1E

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes, but I’ve run 13.4-13.8 @ 102-103.8mph with SOCs varying between 50-90%, the difference in pull is almost imperceptible until you get below about 40-45% SOC. At least on the 4X.
As you’ve seen the Gt is a little more aggressive at pulling power if you sneeze the wrong way.

tesla2mme

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GT in the best color ever made (cyber orange!)
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I appreciate everyone adding more data (more is certainly better!)

But why can we still not get an apples to apples comparison??

These cars have been out long enough to do a side by side.

Or at the very least find two people to get draggy numbers at similar slope, state of charge, altitude and weather………

Full charge, warm weather, flat ground, near sea level. I.E. ideal normal conditions.
i would be down to meet anyone in Patterson at the Walmart DCFC, get some electrons and lunch, And hit the airstrip for some Head to heads!! Let’s do it

Pushrods&Capacitors

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Analyst
Country flag
Thought I’d add a few more Dragy runs taken in 34F with Valid slope to compare with runs made in 90F temps and downward slope. SOC on all runs was between 85-90%. The 34F runs were performed about 2 days post-HVBJB replacement. I find it interesting that they are the among the quickest runs our 4X has ever recorded. As far as run methodology, I hold speed at 1 mph under the run beginning speed and then go WOT to approximate a passing maneuver. So, 4Xs are strong down to mid 30s.

Ford Mustang Mach-E GT / GT PE Dyno? 7B2BAEE9-5830-4D4E-92A8-F854538522F4

Ford Mustang Mach-E GT / GT PE Dyno? 00B8969D-CF08-4A35-8DD0-4BA17CE80F27

Ford Mustang Mach-E GT / GT PE Dyno? CDB0BE5D-5241-41F3-8CB6-F15CFBF9AA2A

Ford Mustang Mach-E GT / GT PE Dyno? BB0DCA8B-A194-4F6F-A4B4-04BC150295E8

Ford Mustang Mach-E GT / GT PE Dyno? 659E1FA2-2FA7-4A99-9F36-1FAA3B68171D

Ford Mustang Mach-E GT / GT PE Dyno? 5C11CD02-61DC-4802-8196-47B860534A93