GTPE depreciation

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I understand where you are coming from related to their marketing, but I would hope none of us really thought the rig would be a track rat, it weighs like 5k, it kicks ass on the road around mortal vehicles, but hardly looks like a track star. I think it is pretty impressive for what it is.
Honestly? The marketing did fool me on the track capability as well.

I thought “unbridled extend” would allow it to be faster for longer, not slower for longer.

That said, the braking (60-0 in 106 ft) and handling (.99 G) did surpass my expectations. Literally some of the best numbers of any SUV.
Sponsored

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I had been trying to get my Mach-E priced online, just out of curiosity. CarMax kept saying not enough data - thank you for the Vroom reference, I just tried them.

This is unbelievable, my sticker price (including destination) was $51,550. Vroom offered $52,861 for my AWD SR Premium - I have just under 5K miles. My total buying price last year, factoring in tax, license, title, registration, but also discounts from X-Plan and the Options rebate (but ignoring the one federal tax and two California credits) came out to $53,529.50. Including all of those government programs, real buying price was $42,529.50.

I love my Mach-E, but a double federal tax credit to jump into a GTPE...
I wanted to give a little bit of an update on this post.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I also got a $55,000 offer on my Mach-E from Driveway. I also went into CarMax over the weekend, they offered $52,000. So, I had three offers - $52,000 (CarMax), $52,861 (Vroom), and $55,000 (Driveway).

I decided I like my specific configuration so much (Premium AWD SR, Rapid Red, light interior, interior protection package), I would prefer to just get an identical vehicle, pocket the savings, and reset the odometer and warranty period, so to speak. I figured, I wouldn't even commit to keeping this type of vehicle for a longer period - my current Mach-E is on 4 years of Options, I am a couple of weeks shy of my one year purchase anniversary, I would just do 3 years of Options with the new Mach-E, if I got it.

I got lucky and found my exact configuration at a dealership nearby - literally exact, same colors, even with the interior protection package. Online, it said the MSRP was $52,040. I called the dealership telling them I was interested. I asked them for a price. What did they say the price was for this standard range AWD Premium on their lot? A mind boggling $67,035. That's why CarMax, Vroom, and Driveway want to pay me over MSRP for a pre-owned Mach-E, when a standard range Mach-E, we're not even talking about the more popular AWD ER Premium here, let alone the GT or GTPE, they are asking for a $15,000 ADM!

Out of curiosity, I looked to see if I could find my exact car anywhere else. The only one I could find was near Nashville (minus the interior protection package, though that can be purchased as an accessory anyway). I may have to try contacting them next...

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
As I mentioned elsewhere, I also got a $55,000 offer on my Mach-E from Driveway. I also went into CarMax over the weekend, they offered $52,000. So, I had three offers - $52,000 (CarMax), $52,861 (Vroom), and $55,000 (Driveway).

I decided I like my specific configuration so much (Premium AWD SR, Rapid Red, light interior, interior protection package), I would prefer to just get an identical vehicle, pocket the savings, and reset the odometer and warranty period, so to speak. I figured, I wouldn't even commit to keeping this type of vehicle for a longer period - my current Mach-E is on 4 years of Options, I am a couple of weeks shy of my one year purchase anniversary, I would just do 3 years of Options with the new Mach-E, if I got it.

I got lucky and found my exact configuration at a dealership nearby - literally exact, same colors, even with the interior protection package. Online, it said the MSRP was $52,040. I called the dealership telling them I was interested. I asked them for a price. What did they say the price was for this standard range AWD Premium on their lot? A mind boggling $67,035. That's why CarMax, Vroom, and Driveway want to pay me over MSRP for a pre-owned Mach-E, when a standard range Mach-E, we're not even talking about the more popular AWD ER Premium here, let alone the GT or GTPE, they are asking for a $15,000 ADM!
I had the exact config RR Premium RWD SR (lovely car) and almost the same offers ($51K from CarMax) and ended up trading it for a RAV4 Prime (PHEV) for $1K less than those offers but added $3.5K in tax savings. The dealer promptly marked up my old car to $57K and threw it on the lot... because CarMax and Carvana were selling low mileage SRs at $58K+

I was trying to find a Premium ER but everything was minimum $5K to $10K more and I doubt they'd match the CarMax offer and thus I'd be throwing away $3K in sale tax savings in Florida without trading in.

I'm just going to wait for my Premium AWD ER to be built and stay away from the markup jungle.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Out of curiosity, I looked to see if I could find my exact car anywhere else. The only one I could find was near Nashville (minus the interior protection package, though that can be purchased as an accessory anyway). I may have to try contacting them next...
So it’s good when you want a high price for your used car and bad when a dealer wants a high price for their new one?

Got it.

The arbitrage that exists on the Mach E market is just odd. No clue why people think it should be normal. The used and new car markets should be tied together. And your used car should be worth less than a new one. That’s what would be normal!

Side note- no chance they’re getting that 15k ADM. Is it actually advertised for that on their website? If not it’s probably just a number they throw out to get rid of tire kickers. If they show MSRP price online, it’s illegal in California to sell a car for higher than the advertised price. If really an ADM they have to post it.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
So it’s good when you want a high price for your used car and bad when a dealer wants a high price for their new one?

Got it.

The arbitrage that exists on the Mach E market is just odd. No clue why people think it should be normal. The used and new car markets should be tied together. And your used car should be worth less than a new one. That’s what would be normal!

Side note- no chance they’re getting that 15k ADM. Is it actually advertised for that on their website? If not it’s probably just a number they throw out to get rid of tire kickers.
I didn't mean my post to be criticizing the dealer if it came off that way, that Mach-E on their lot is not my order and they never yanked my chain - they are being very transparent about what they are asking for.

My exclamation was more that even what seems to be seen on here as a less desirable variant (AWD SR Premium) gets hit with a very large markup, not just a totem pole topping GTPE.

They don't list the ADM on the website, they told me over the phone, but also indicated it is negotiable.

I agree that new and used car prices should be tied. In this way, their pricing makes sense. If my car is worth $1,000 to $3,000 over MSRP used, it is reasonable for a new version to be worth $10,000-$15,000 over MSRP in the same market.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag

Got it.

Side note- no chance they’re getting that 15k ADM. Is it actually advertised for that on their website? If not it’s probably just a number they throw out to get rid of tire kickers. If they show MSRP price online, it’s illegal in California to sell a car for higher than the advertised price. If really an ADM they have to post it.
Good luck dealing with their non-advertised ADMs. Most dealers in SoCal aren't advertising the markup online and some, when ADMS were first appearing, didn't even have it on the window sticker. Tried talking to Managers/GMs of those dealers saying they have to sell at MSRP and they didn't care lol.

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag

You should tell them you'll do a $2k markup or MSRP and will be in that day if they do it. Some dealers in SoCal were doing that when I was shopping around for my GTPE.
I think now there will be a gap between '21s and '22s so dealers are marking up to even more extremes. That's super awesome you got $55k from Driveway. They wouldn't give me a price online and said I had to get an appraiser out, they texted me asking for pictures and only gave me $52k! Mine was premium AWD Extended Range! So I traded it in for $53k and the dealer already has it listed for $59k, which pees me off as they said they can't negotiate off CarMax's price since they just turn around and sell it to CarMax. Whoa, they lied?!?

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Good luck dealing with their non-advertised ADMs. Most dealers in SoCal aren't advertising the markup online and some, when ADMS were first appearing, didn't even have it on the window sticker. Tried talking to Managers/GMs of those dealers saying they have to sell at MSRP and they didn't care lol.
Doesn’t surprise me, but it is good to know the laws when they’re on your side at least.

Is it worth the fight? Only if they cave in right away. If not, buy at MSRP somewhere up the street.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
Out of curiosity spawned by this thread, I tried Driveway. They quoted $68,368 for my loaded 2021 GTPE with 1600 miles. I paid $71,350 after Xplan out the door.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Out of curiosity spawned by this thread, I tried Driveway. They quoted $68,368 for my loaded 2021 GTPE with 1600 miles. I paid $71,350 after Xplan out the door.
Tell @Frankie He still thinks he’s stuck with this car.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag

Cabel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-e GT PE
Occupation
IT Engineer, aviator, gearhead, tinkerer, putterer, wife pesterer.
Country flag
My personal opinion is that you should never buy a car based on depreciation in 6 months. 3-4 years sure (which is still a crapshoot on a car this new). Like it or not, a brand new EV like this involves more financial risk (part of what the $7500 tax credit is meant to mitigate). I bought it because it’s fun and can afford to take the risk. I don’t WANT it to depreciate a lot, but also am not relying on my equity in this car to be able to afford my next car.
Step 1: Save pennies. Wait until you have enough pennies.
Step 2: Pay cash (not in pennies, that's rude).
Step 3: Begin saving pennies again. Drive car. Keep vehicle in family until (a); wheels fall off, or (b); vehicle returns to base elements Al₂O₃ and Fe₂O₃.
Step 4: Rinse, repeat steps 2-4.

bristol16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 GTPE, '15 SS
Country flag
Step 3: Begin saving pennies again. Drive car. Keep vehicle in family until (a); wheels fall off, or (b); vehicle returns to base elements Al₂O₃ and Fe₂O₃.

I don't mind saving pennies, but I am sure not driving a vehicle until the wheels fall off. I get bored after 2-3 years and then it's time to move on to something else, doesn't matter if I make money or lose it.

Ride_the_lightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium SR AWD
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag

You do you. I drove used cars for 2 decades, but if I still had to save pennies at a time I would buy a used Corolla not a 52k Mach E in its first model year. Like it or not, at the moment this car (and other first-year EVs) is kind of for people that can afford to take the risk that it won’t last 10 years.

Bodyshopguy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach e GT/2020 BMW 750iM/60 Vette/12 Wrangler
Occupation
Collision Center(s) Owner
Country flag
I watched a You Tube video... the girl bought a 2021 Mach-e... rented it out on Turo... paid 45,000.00 for the Mach-e and drove it for 1 year... you know she got the local and federal rebate close to 10k... Went to CarMax 1st... they offered her 38,000, Vroom next, offered her 46,000 and Carvana gave her 50,000 with 30,000 miles on it... this is southern California... anything is possible
Sponsored