TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I seriously doubt the door will pop out on its own.
You may be right, it may just unlock the doors when you get close with your phone rather that pop the driver's door open. Although I'm not sure what good that would do. If you still have to hit the button to open it, it's the same as what you would normally do anyway so it doesn't really save anything.

Unless the only point is that you just carry your phone INSTEAD of the fob. If that's the case, it's a really low-value feature to me since I'll likely carry the fob anyway. I know there will be OTHER good features on the phone app, but that would would be pretty irrelevant if it doesn't actually pop open the door.
Sponsored

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I remember in one of the ford videos, it was mentioned that the handle hides behind the air blockage of the mirror, so it doesn't add to the drag. I would love to see one of the MME wind tunnel studies, to see where the wind goes and how it is diverted in various places. I wouldn't mind seeing it in a computer study for that matter. This technology is amazing. They are able to get a pretty tall vehicle down to a rather low drag cooefficient. Cool.
Speaking of mirrors, I was a little disappointed that the MME didn't have virtual mirrors (like the Honda e).

https://techcrunch.com/2019/05/28/the-all-electric-honda-e-is-bringing-its-side-view-mirrors-inside/

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
One other note on using the cell phone... The Ford website it "requires feature activation". Sounds suspiciously like a pay-subscription service. That would suck.

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
But not surprising as those are not legal in the US... at least not yet.
NHTSA did announce last year that they were seeking input to reassess if those regulations would be changed to allow (as they are in Europe and Japan, for example).
Didn't know that. Interesting.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
You may be right, it may just unlock the doors when you get close with your phone rather that pop the driver's door open. Although I'm not sure what good that would do. If you still have to hit the button to open it, it's the same as what you would normally do anyway so it doesn't really save anything.

Unless the only point is that you just carry your phone INSTEAD of the fob. If that's the case, it's a really low-value feature to me since I'll likely carry the fob anyway. I know there will be OTHER good features on the phone app, but that would would be pretty irrelevant if it doesn't actually pop open the door.
From the videos I've seen and from talking with the folks at the Washington Auto Show, the phone app does the same thing as the fob, so it can replace the fob.

It also works just like the current systems, including my Leaf. The presence of the phone or fob enables the doors to unlock and/or open with the touch of a button. The door doesn't open just because the phone or fob is close.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag

It will also automatically lock the door when you walk away.

Ford also touts the whole "when you get in, it recognizes you" thing. So I think that's why they are trying to link stuff to the phone. Automatically personalizes the car for you.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
It will also automatically lock the door when you walk away.

Ford also touts the whole "when you get in, it recognizes you" thing. So I think that's why they are trying to link stuff to the phone. Automatically personalizes the car for you.
Yeah, the other features (especially auto-locking while walking away) will be cool. But the "unlocking when approaching" will be worthless to me. All my cars do that anyway when I touch the handle because I always carry the fob. That's why I assumed it opened the door, because it sounded like something new and cool. Guess not.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Yeah, the other features (especially auto-locking while walking away) will be cool. But the "unlocking when approaching" will be worthless to me. All my cars do that anyway when I touch the handle because I always carry the fob. That's why I assumed it opened the door, because it sounded like something new and cool. Guess not.
Now you don't have to carry the fob.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
I don't think I'd ever not do that. It's more dependable than my phone battery. ?

Plus I keep all my keys together on the same ring as the fob.
Plus for some of us it would mean carrying two phones around work phone and personal phone for the car as work phone has to be secure. I'd rather just continue with the keyless fob being the old Luddite that I am, half the time I am in the car with my own phone it is switched off as is never paired as I am driving, anyone that wants me can speak to voice mail, I am sure half the connectivity features being added to sync 4 I will never use or even know exist lol.

SnBGC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E FE, 2021 Wrangler 4xe High Altitude
Occupation
Manager
Country flag
One other note on using the cell phone... The Ford website it "requires feature activation". Sounds suspiciously like a pay-subscription service. That would suck.
I think the wording was the same for the FFE and Energi models. It came with a healthy trial period and then suggested there may be a subscription service required to keep the features. So far, Ford has not required a subscription. My guess is the data collected is far more valuable to Ford than subscription revenue so maybe the same will play out with the MME. That is my hope anyway.....

Paulalex01

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 F-150, 2019 Miata, 2009 Element
Occupation
Retired - Electrical Engineer
Country flag
I have not seen in person so will withhold judgment till I get first hand experience but,, does anybody else see the potential for a liability associated with this 'hook' protruding out of the side of the car? A person walks by car with heavy coat/clothing, get belt loop/clothing caught on handle, falls with injury. Will Ford cover liability? Just asking. Handle need to recede when door closed.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
I have not seen in person so will withhold judgment till I get first hand experience but,, does anybody else see the potential for a liability associated with this 'hook' protruding out of the side of the car? A person walks by car with heavy coat/clothing, get belt loop/clothing caught on handle, falls with injury. Will Ford cover liability? Just asking. Handle need to recede when door closed.
If someone walks by that close, they deserve to be "hooked"!

Marcel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Woodworker
I have seen and used them irl, they are less than 1 inch extruding it is nearly impossible to get caught by it unless you‘re washing your car roof.....:p
Sponsored