Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lexus ES300h
Country flag
They still don't look natural to open. The trough doesn't look deep enough for a comfortable grip. I just don't get this kind of design.
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
They still don't look natural to open. The trough doesn't look deep enough for a comfortable grip. I just don't get this kind of design.
They don't look as easy to open as the free-hanging original design. I'm guessing it was a combination of strength, cost, and concern over people getting snagged.

The trough should work fine, it's like the reverse of the handles on my Tacoma except you don't have to operate a mechanical opening mechanism like the Tacoma.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Handles!! shoppi

The winglet handle may be a little shallower but the door will already be open several inches when you grab it.

I'll bet most people just grab the door edge. The door edge is the only grab point on the rear doors.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
They don't look as easy to open as the free-hanging original design. I'm guessing it was a combination of strength, cost, and concern over people getting snagged.

The trough should work fine, it's like the reverse of the handles on my Tacoma except you don't have to operate a mechanical opening mechanism like the Tacoma.

The winglet handle may be a little shallower but the door will already be open several inches when you grab it.

I'll bet most people just grab the door edge. The door edge is the only grab point on the rear doors.
Perhaps, but don't you think with over 100 years of building cars, a better door handle design could have been used? I'm sure cost was the #1 issue, but it's just so weird.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Perhaps, but don't you think with over 100 years of building cars, a better door handle design could have been used? I'm sure cost was the #1 issue, but it's just so weird.
I was just comparing the new "trough" design to the old "winglet". The idea of an assist to a door that opens itself 6" is a new one.

TheSteelRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Premium RWD
Country flag
Remember, the winglet door handle isn't even needed ... pressing the button "ejects" the door. The rear doors, for example, have no winglet. The winglet on the front is merely there in case you want / need something besides grabbing the door itself. The example Darren Palmer gave is, you leave for work you have a coffee in one hand, and your laptop bag in another. The button and winglet combo gives you a "one finger" way to open the door. Very innovative!

Here is the explanation straight from the horses mouth

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Meh, IMO it's an excuse for a cheap design. Besides, who wants to get fingerprints on the car door every time you open the door if you choose not to use the handles. You can dance around this any way you like, but IMO it's not a good design. At this point it's an attempt to choose the best iteration of a poor design.

I far prefer the sleek recessed design of the Model S or I-Pace. Real handles when needed and not there when not needed for aerodynamics. Yes, the MS was prone to issues with the door handles because of their earlier design, but that's been largely solved. The I-Pace is a better design that few ever have issues with.

Last edited:

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
I like the hook over the trough. In a wet climate that area will be suspect. I think a small bridge on the end to prevent people(edit) from hurting the car or themselves. The trough will be a nice home for spiders and scorpions, so that’s cool.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I hope it's angled so water doesn't settle on it. I see there is a slope at the front.
Or snow, ice, little leaves, etc. This is clearly the best attempt to "fix" the possibility of getting a purse strap or jacket caught, but the whole thing is "too cute by half". Why a dirt trap instead of connecting in the front and back with an open bottom? It can't possibly hurt aerodynamics enough to warrant multiple squirrelly designs.

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla Model 3 AWD LR
Country flag
I hope it's angled so water doesn't settle on it. I see there is a slope at the front.
Even if water doesn't .. that's gonna trap everything else .. dirt, leaves, tree junk, bugs lol. Not a huge fan of that design.

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Or snow, ice, little leaves, etc. This is clearly the best attempt to "fix" the possibility of getting a purse strap or jacket caught, but the whole thing is "too cute by half". Why a dirt trap instead of connecting in the front and back with an open bottom? It can't possibly hurt aerodynamics enough to warrant multiple squirrelly designs.
This .. Best design would just have the back part connected and leave the rest of the bottom open. It would prevent hooking it accidentally and also give it more support but not trap everything.

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Meh, IMO it's an excuse for a cheap design. Besides, who wants to get fingerprints on the car door every time you open the door if you choose not to use the handles. You can dance around this any way you like, but IMO it's not a good design. At this point it's an attempt to choose the best iteration of a poor design.

I far prefer the sleep recessed design of the Model S or I-Pace. Real handles when needed and not there when not needed for aerodynamics. Yes, the MS was prone to issues with the door handles because of their earlier design, but that's been largely solved. The I-Pace is a better design that few ever have issues with.
I like the Model 3 design. At first its like WTF .. but now it's natural, maintains the lines of the car, doesn't trap anything and gives you plenty of leverage to open the door. Plus no motor to fail.

Ken7

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I like the Model 3 design. At first its like WTF .. but now it's natural, maintains the lines of the car, doesn't trap anything and gives you plenty of leverage to open the door. Plus no motor to fail.
I agree, but even there that design is prone to icing. Tesla did something to help with that, but I can't recall what.

Stickboy46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I agree, but even there that design is prone to icing. Tesla did something to help with that, but I can't recall what.
Fair point .. haven't gone through a full ice cycle with mine :p