Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 F-150, 2019 Miata, 2009 Element
Occupation
Retired - Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Anyone has an idea if they've changed the door handles on the Mach E?
picture from the US are different then I saw during the event in Holland

1604652773821.png
I believe it was to get rid of the "hook," a possible safety issue and subsequent liability. I like the idea of replacing the handle with an OEM smooth replacement. It is not needed, ie. rear door.

Nico

First Name
Nico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E AWD Shadow Black
Country flag
Ok clear, thanks for the replies! So it will basically be on all consumer cars if I understand correctly.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Ok clear, thanks for the replies! So it will basically be on all consumer cars if I understand correctly.
Correct.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
I’m actually curious as to why they even bothered with the handles? Using them actually seems a bit unnatural. After pressing the button, your hand is in the right position to just pull the door.

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
I’m actually curious as to why they even bothered with the handles? Using them actually seems a bit unnatural. After pressing the button, your hand is in the right position to just pull the door.
MORE AERO!!! ;)

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Functional design is an evolutionary process. If this becomes the consensus, I'd bet on a change.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
They did not have enough metal and space with the front doors to design like the rear doors I think.

While it is technological advancement - just regular handles would have been fine for most people unless they thought people wanted tesla like appearance. And some may care about the tesla equivalence .

It will change in future models as they learn more with actual use and feedback from drivers

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
They did not have enough metal and space with the front doors to design like the rear doors I think.

While it is technological advancement - just regular handles would have been fine for most people unless they thought people wanted tesla like appearance. And some may care about the tesla equivalence .

It will change in future models as they learn more with actual use and feedback from drivers
They've said it's largely about aerodynamics, which is far more crucial at high speed in a BEV than an ICE. Gotta squeeze every tiny drop of range out when it's still so limited.

That's the explanation for no handle on the back doors anyway. And why the low profile fronts. His question was more about why do front handles at all? I too think the vast majority will just end up grabbing the door edge rather than the mini handle. I can only guess they either thought there should be a backup if anything goes wrong with the actuator, or from a selling point that no handles at all might be a bridge too far (i.e. it might immediately turn some people off, even if irrationally so).

ClaudeMach-E

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach 3- Tempo- Malibu(3)-Actual Kia Sportage AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I like those handles, the only concern I have with it is winter snow and icing rain, but we'll know right after the first one I guess.

Luffie

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e RWD Ext.range TP+
Country flag
I like those handles, the only concern I have with it is winter snow and icing rain, but we'll know right after the first one I guess.
Will it be during winter times full of snow or icy??
And in spring &autumn wet and dirty??

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Will it be during winter times full of snow or icy??
And in spring &autumn wet and dirty??
Seeing the revised trough design at the roadshows it just going to be a dirt trap no matter what time of year you are driving, unless of course you are lucky to live in a vacuum.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Seeing the revised trough design at the roadshows it just going to be a dirt trap no matter what time of year you are driving, unless of course you are lucky to live in a vacuum.
I tried living in a vacuum once, but the experience sucked.

makooy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E RWD SR Lucid Red TP+
Occupation
IT Consultant
Country flag
Same concerns here. water will be removed by the wind but dirt stains stays in the handle which gives you dirty fingers while opening the door. not vary handy with a brand new car and interior
Sponsored