Has anyone driven both the RWD and the AWD?

Caramel

First Name
Vi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey
Country flag
If so, can you tell me what the difference felt like? I’ve only driven the AWD but I found a RWD for sale without adm. Unfortunately it’s 1000 miles away from me! I’m tempted though. Very tempted lol.
Sponsored

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
I originally drove a RWD Premium and it was nice, but didn't have as much oomph as I expected off the line. Ended up getting a Premium AWD Extended because that is what I could find in an Infiniti Blue... I was torn because of the range and really wanted a RWD, but holy cow, its, at least to me, noticeably quicker. Obviously in normal day to day, doubt you'd notice much of a difference, I guess. But I have the need... the need for speed! So I love zippin' around - my wife hates it. Lol.

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
I could feel the difference between the SR AWD and the ER AWD. It's amazing that .4 seconds 0-60 felt different. I still went with the SR as it was $5K less.

fmcgirt

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Mach E
Country flag
If so, can you tell me what the difference felt like? I’ve only driven the AWD but I found a RWD for sale without adm. Unfortunately it’s 1000 miles away from me! I’m tempted though. Very tempted lol.
We have bought one of each: The first a RWD Premiun, Build Date Feb 21, purchased April 8 off the truck. The second an AWD Premium, Build Date in May, purchased near end of July almost on arrival at dealer.
The AWD is very slightly quicker due to subjective feelings only; other than that almost no difference in driving feel except the AWD does a better job of powering through corners around town. The RWD has had several software glitches including PAAK mess and drivers door won't open or lock without open or lock rear door first. Had into dealer for these problems and SSMs applied but problems came back after a week or so. Removing negative 12v battery lead is a temp fix for lock/open problem and bought a second fob so don't have to worry about PAAK anymore.
The AWD so far has had no glitches but bought second fob from the start and decided to not even mess with PAAK. Both cars are subject to both recalls. We are waiting for our first snow to see if the AWD makes a big difference in getting around. I got a feeling the RWD will do fine because of the low, heavy battery mass. If that turn out to be true then I would buy only RWDs if both were available. In our case we bought what we could get and are happy except it would be nice if the software was a little more robust in the case of the older car.

highland58

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT, 2023 Bolt EUV, 2018 F150 XLT
Occupation
IT Solutions Architect
Country flag
The power is additive to some extent. Two motors have more power than one motor. Also the extended battery is capable of feeding more current than the smaller one. I'm pretty sure the horsepower and torque both increase with 2 motors and with extended battery, the specs should show that.

OP
OP
Caramel

Caramel

First Name
Vi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey
Country flag
The power is additive to some extent. Two motors have more power than one motor. Also the extended battery is capable of feeding more current than the smaller one. I'm pretty sure the horsepower and torque both increase with 2 motors and with extended battery, the specs should show that.
I've read the specs. I am looking for how the two versions feel - subjective, yes, but still useful to me.

OP
OP
Caramel

Caramel

First Name
Vi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey
Country flag
We have bought one of each: The first a RWD Premiun, Build Date Feb 21, purchased April 8 off the truck. The second an AWD Premium, Build Date in May, purchased near end of July almost on arrival at dealer.
The AWD is very slightly quicker due to subjective feelings only; other than that almost no difference in driving feel except the AWD does a better job of powering through corners around town. The RWD has had several software glitches including PAAK mess and drivers door won't open or lock without open or lock rear door first. Had into dealer for these problems and SSMs applied but problems came back after a week or so. Removing negative 12v battery lead is a temp fix for lock/open problem and bought a second fob so don't have to worry about PAAK anymore.
The AWD so far has had no glitches but bought second fob from the start and decided to not even mess with PAAK. Both cars are subject to both recalls. We are waiting for our first snow to see if the AWD makes a big difference in getting around. I got a feeling the RWD will do fine because of the low, heavy battery mass. If that turn out to be true then I would buy only RWDs if both were available. In our case we bought what we could get and are happy except it would be nice if the software was a little more robust in the case of the older car.
Thank you. That is very helpful.

OP
OP
Caramel

Caramel

First Name
Vi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey
Country flag
I originally drove a RWD Premium and it was nice, but didn't have as much oomph as I expected off the line. Ended up getting a Premium AWD Extended because that is what I could find in an Infiniti Blue... I was torn because of the range and really wanted a RWD, but holy cow, its, at least to me, noticeably quicker. Obviously in normal day to day, doubt you'd notice much of a difference, I guess. But I have the need... the need for speed! So I love zippin' around - my wife hates it. Lol.
I also have the need for speed! But for me, it will be my husband who hates me zipping around lol. And to (loosely) quote another movie, I just wanna go fast.

Ma9573

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Current: Mach E CA Rte1
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
We have Route 1 and when I recently brought it in to the dealer to get it's 10k mile service I test drove their demo AWD. I previously thought the Route 1 had plenty of zip (and it does), but the difference with the AWD was VERY noticable. To the point where I changed my order to replace our second car from a Route 1 to a Route 1 AWD ?

Neil4Real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E GT Performance Edition - Shadow Black
Country flag
Seems like you should take your RWD in for some bulletins and updates. There is no hardware difference, infotainment/PaaK wise, between your builds, so your RWD probably hasn't been to the dealer for the PaaK fixes or module updates which will probably get rid of your nightmare bugs.
Sponsored