OP
JCHLi

JCHLi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Then it's not strictly necessary to heat the garage. You can just leave the vehicle plugged in your garage and precondition before driving on cold days.
But I don't like being cold walking the five feet from the door to the car door!
Sponsored

mr_raider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E Select AWD
Country flag
But I don't like being cold walking the five feet from the door to the car door!
Sure. But remember it you live in an area with high salt usage, heated garages will accelerate corrosion.

I leave my garage temp as low as possible to maintain a minimum comfortable floor temp in the room above.

Crilly

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Livewire prius prime Mach e. In 3 weeks if it was built yesterday
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have a Prius prime, Livewire, heated garage with electric vehicles is mandatory. I keep the garage at 50 degrees. The battery’s love it. Not to mention the wife.

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I have a Prius prime, Livewire, heated garage with electric vehicles is mandatory. I keep the garage at 50 degrees. The battery’s love it. Not to mention the wife.
Agree 100% with you Dale! I keep my garage at 70˚ using a split AC Heat Pump (Mr. Cool) which I mainly installed for the AC in the summer. The unit runs on solar during the day, PowerWalls at night so free power. Keeping the garage heated in the winter really makes a difference on my range. I've had a few members ask about this but never posted it and found this old thread so thought I would comment on my findings.

I drive back and forth to Sacramento airport at least twice a month. It is 212 miles RT. I never have an issue doing this on a full charge in the summer but in the winter, before I heated the garage, I had to charge up a bit once I got to the airport in order to return home. Since I've heated the garage, my GOM (I know most don't use this) shows about the same full charge in the winter as in the summer. Since my roads and driving habits are usually consistent, my mi/kWh averages in the high 2's to low 3's. Driving in cold weather with a warm battery pack doesn't seem to shorten the range much in that 4 hour RT drive.

I'm leaving for the airport. Outside temp 31˚ Garage 70˚ GOM 266 mi.

IMG_4337.jpeg

IMG_4339.jpeg

IMG_4335.jpeg

ElectrikPony

First Name
RANDY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None yet
Country flag
I second getting a mini-split. They don’t use a lot electricity and are super efficient.

the brand doesn’t matter much so long as it has a Toshiba or Mitsubishi compressor. They are very well made and that’s the heart and soul of the unit.

stay away from Samsung.
Sponsored