OP

Manfredo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Mustang Mach e Premium 4Xe
Wow! Homestead I finally tested the finger on multiple speakers and did feel vibration. The car was on and in park. I shut the lights off, no audio, and silenced as much as I could and could feel the vibration. I put my ear to it but couldn’t hear anything. It goes along with the fact that it always seems to be there. If it is this low frequency issue is there something I can do about it?
Does the car have to be moving to cause the problem?
Here's another crazy thing to try, Radio amplifier has a problem and is putting out a very low frequency ( inaudible ) that is affecting your ears.
Try putting your finger or something on the speakers to see if you feel a low freq. vibration.
I took a reading from a low frequency detector app I just got and put it up to one of the speakers, no audio, and this is the reading which the app says is noisy, for what that’s worth, Calibrated beforehand. 100hz and below
Ford Mustang Mach-E Help Mechanic Forscan IMG_3061
Sponsored

Homestead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Mach-E, F-350
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Try disconnecting one wire on the speaker and see if the signal goes away. Also try cycling the engine noise button that Mach-Lee suggested.

OP
OP

Manfredo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Try disconnecting one wire on the speaker and see if the signal goes away. Also try cycling the engine noise button that Mach-Lee suggested.
Thank you! How would I get to the wire? I’ll keep googling. I have tried using the propulsion sound and turning it off but I haven’t cycled it on off in a short period of time so I’ll try that.

Homestead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Mach-E, F-350
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Well you have to pull the panels on the speakers to get access to the wiring.
Any progress on the issue?

OP
OP

Manfredo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well you have to pull the panels on the speakers to get access to the wiring.
Any progress on the issue?
Thanks for checking Homestead. I actually called Monday to take the car to service and to my surprise they took the car right away. I’m on my way to pick it up but apparently they won’t disconnect anything with the speakers but they manually updated all systems. When I get it back and I’m sure it’ll be the same I’ll get in there and try disconnecting the soeaker. Again thanks so much for checking in.

OP
OP

Manfredo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I might try going to a car audio place.

Homestead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Mach-E, F-350
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Fingers crossed that the updates fixed it. But if not there should be a common point where all the speakers connect to the amplifier. Audio car place can probably help you there.

rainystateguy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E awd x GT
Occupation
retired
First, I suggest visiting an ear doctor to have your ears checked. You may have ear wax buildup, or a drain/pressure equalization problem.

Also, have you tried turning the propulsion sound on and off? That helps some people.

I suggest using AUTO HVAC settings whenever possible.

Other people have experienced ear issues: https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/mach-e-hurts-my-ears.12565/

I'm not sure why, but I suspect it's a combination of biology and vehicle bass frequency response that causes some kind of issue for a small number of people.
>>Also, have you tried turning the propulsion sound on and off? That helps some people.<<

That was going to be my suggestion, too.

OP
OP

Manfredo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
>>Also, have you tried turning the propulsion sound on and off? That helps some people.<<

That was going to be my suggestion, too.
Thank you. I have as much as I don’t like it if it fixed the problem I would happily keep it on

OP
OP

Manfredo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The issue wasn’t resolved when I got to the service center. They gave me the option of paying to disconnect a speaker or all speakers but after talking to the tech, through the service agent, they suggested keeping the car another day driving it and doing meter readings to see if they notice odd frequencies. The issue of sound cancellation was brought up by them. I know through many posts here that most have stated there’s no noise cancelation and I’ll trust that. It’s weird that if that’s the case they are not aware of it. Not sure why that’s such a mystery. One thing I have trouble explaining is the pedestrian sound which you can’t hear at all in the car with the windows closed but is actually pretty loud if you’re stopped while in drive with the windows open trying to chat with a neighbor. Is that just really good insulation? Anywho we’ll see what they say tomorrow and if nothing changes I’ll pay them to disconnect the speakers since it’s not “covered” and go from there. Thanks all for your suggestions. I do feel that the low frequency thing that you suggested, Homestead, feels like the best explanation.

OP
OP

Manfredo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So Ford disconnected my amp and although I will need to drive more it does appear that my ears appreciated it greatly. They will reconnect the amp for free but now I need to figure out what to do next. Would reconnecting the amp and disconnecting the subwoofer make a difference? I’m not sure it would. I can do that physically or can that be done with FORScan maybe (disabling the sub)? I did get by obd working with FORScan on my laptop but I haven’t messed with it yet. In the “Mach e” hurts my ears” thread someone mentioned something about the free air sub:

“I wonder if it could be negative pressure from the B&O sub that vents out of the wheel well. That well could cause negative pressure in the cabin. Many a freeair sub has come into play with cars lately.”

Anyway baby steps. Thanks again Homestead for suggesting this as the possible problem.

Homestead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Mach-E, F-350
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
I would try limiting lows first with the first equalizer see if that helps