Hey Ford, Mach-E needs a heatpump

Mach-Finn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq
Country flag
Hey Ford, you made a great EV but Mach-E needs an option for a heatpump in the future models for us living in the colder climates.

mxgmzTH.png
Sponsored

StephanHR

First Name
Stephan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E RWD ER space white Mini Countryman S
Occupation
head of finance department
Country flag
Finlandia Vodka ?

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
You Finns are used to the cold and shouldn't need to heat the cabin. Take a page from those guys. Suck it up. If they can sit on ice seats you should be super happy with heated seats. Are you getting so soft you need a heater? ?

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
Agreed, I do wish it had a heat pump for those of us in the northern US too.

RVAtom

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I agree. I wish it hat it. I wonder 2 things about the future on heat pumps.

How long until Ford adds it to the MME? I would speculate that they could add a simple one pretty soon, but a more complete octo-valve style setup would need to wait a few years.

How long until BEV heat pumps are a table stakes option, that no maker would come out with a BEV without at least including an option?

LOEzell

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
(1): 2021 Audi Etron, (2): 2019 MDX Advance
Occupation
Retired Engineering Manager
Country flag
I agree with your heat pump suggestion. When cabin heating is needed, at certain operating conditions, the heat pump can simultaneously heat the cabin and cool the batteries, although the cold outside air can also cool the batteries.

of course, the heat pump can also provide cabin cooling in the summer by reversing its refrigerant flow to operate as a conventional automotive AC.

Last edited:

Maric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Adding a heat pump would really help the MachE in the efficiency category.

BlueMach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition
Country flag
I agree. I wish it hat it. I wonder 2 things about the future on heat pumps.

How long until Ford adds it to the MME? I would speculate that they could add a simple one pretty soon, but a more complete octo-valve style setup would need to wait a few years.

How long until BEV heat pumps are a table stakes option, that no maker would come out with a BEV without at least including an option?
I agree the technology could be incorporated pretty quickly, but I suspect the accountants would be annoyed with all the capital they just spent to get suppliers up and running on the non-heat pump system that rather than go full 100% heat pump like Tesla, the non-heat pump system would remain offered to amortize that investment over more cars, and the heat pump might be an added cost option down the line.

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
Hey Ford, you made a great EV but Mach-E needs an option for a heatpump in the future models for us living in the colder climates.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Hey Ford, Mach-E needs a heatpump mxgmzTH
You realize a heat pump would be useless for those dudes?

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I guess I'm not convinced how "critical" a part it is. Every Model 3 until last month did not have one, and yet somehow it was the most efficient and amazing BEV ever built. I don't recall anyone mentioning that cheaper EV's had a heat pump and Tesla screwed up by not putting one in the M3 - all anyone said was that the M3's were highly efficient even in winter. Yet now all of a sudden a BEV without a heat pump is unacceptable?

As Bjorn Nyland has shown, the M3 heat pump only improved overall winter efficiency by less than 10%. While 10% is not insignificant, it isn't critically important either.
Sponsored