waltermorel

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E AWD ER
Country flag
This IPC buzzing noise is really intolerable and we still have NO fix !! ???
Sponsored

OP
OP
methorian

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Yes - it is very annoying, and I'm sad that there still isn't a fix. Baffling to me as well that they haven't found better hardware that doesn't whine.

I've learned to live with it, but if the music ever stops it's the first thing I notice, so music while driving is basically a must for me.

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
The noise is 100% there and intolerable. My 17-year-old son (who drives an '06 GT) refuses to drive my MME without loud music on to drown out the buzzing because, in his words, "it is so annoying."
Maybe it's only 50% there. My 16-year-old hears lots of stuff I don't, but no Mustang buzzing.

Finkerton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME FE
Country flag
Yes - it is very annoying, and I'm sad that there still isn't a fix. Baffling to me as well that they haven't found better hardware that doesn't whine.

I've learned to live with it, but if the music ever stops it's the first thing I notice, so music while driving is basically a must for me.
Yep. Weirdly and sadly for an EV if there is no alternate source of sound then the “silence” is intolerable.

Polyphonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini SE
Well, this exists in the Lightning as well, despite being recessed in the dash and behind a transparent barrier.

WTF. Just, WTF.

I’m so sick of high frequency EV noises. Going back to gas for good after this where you can actually get true acoustic comfort. No more coil whine, dentist drill sounds, etc.

Regularmache

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
Country flag
Well, this exists in the Lightning as well, despite being recessed in the dash and behind a transparent barrier.

WTF. Just, WTF.

I’m so sick of high frequency EV noises. Going back to gas for good after this where you can actually get true acoustic comfort. No more coil whine, dentist drill sounds, etc.
https://www.minievforum.com/threads/mini-cooper-se-acceleration-noise-test.1074/
Your Mini is a worse noise maker than an EV. The difference is EVs propulsion system is so quiet you hear things that are otherwise drowned out my your ICE Engine and Mechanical drones. But still this may be preferable to some as the higher overall noise may be like "White Noise" effect and your auditory sensory system can't focus on other noises.

Polyphonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini SE
https://www.minievforum.com/threads/mini-cooper-se-acceleration-noise-test.1074/
Your Mini is a worse noise maker than an EV. The difference is EVs propulsion system is so quiet you hear things that are otherwise drowned out my your ICE Engine and Mechanical drones. But still this may be preferable to some as the higher overall noise may be like "White Noise" effect and your auditory sensory system can't focus on other noises.
There may be a lack of masking effect, but it's not the primary issue here.

Here is an image of the sound in the Lightning. The horizontal lines are tonal noises just like in the Mach-e. I can hear these sounds while in motion in the Lightning. They would also stick out in a luxury ICEV that I am used to driving, such as a Lexus or Mercedes.

I recorded some ICE cars in accessory mode and heard and saw almost nothing. The EV systems (drivetrain, inverters, battery cooling, screens, etc.) are adding annoying high frequency tones even when the truck is doing nothing. You are right that tonal noises are harder to ignore than broadband noise.

Ford Mustang Mach-E High-pitched "Electrical Whine" Screen Shot 2023-01-15 at 4.59.15 PM

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Ok.

If it bothers you they much, get something else. Life’s too short.

Bye.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
There may be a lack of masking effect, but it's not the primary issue here.

Here is an image of the sound in the Lightning. The horizontal lines are tonal noises just like in the Mach-e. I can hear these sounds while in motion in the Lightning. They would also stick out in a luxury ICEV that I am used to driving, such as a Lexus or Mercedes.

I recorded some ICE cars in accessory mode and heard and saw almost nothing. The EV systems (drivetrain, inverters, battery cooling, screens, etc.) are adding annoying high frequency tones even when the truck is doing nothing. You are right that tonal noises are harder to ignore than broadband noise.

Screen Shot 2023-01-15 at 4.59.15 PM.png
Most of the engineers are probably too old to hear anything above 10k, they likely have no idea how much high frequency noise is happening. Since they've never dealt with high frequency electronic noises before, I wouldn't be surprised their NVH program does nothing to detect, quantify, or address them. They should be running a spectral analysis like this during NVH testing of EVs and specify component noise thresholds to their suppliers like Visteon. And obviously run instrumented NVH spot checks on the assembled vehicles to ensure consistent quality. Display loudness really varies, you could get a quiet one or a loud one from the factory.

The worst noisemakers in Mach-E at idle are the instrument cluster and the power steering motor. The front motor in the non GT's also has gear whine around 30 MPH, Magna should have tested that better. The windshield gap is also a noisemaker on some cars if the windshield isn't placed just right, and the tempered front windows also let in a lot of side mirror wind noise. It's not horrible, but things could have been done better, as a result the Mach-E really isn't any quieter than my 13 year old Fusion.

Finkerton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME FE
Country flag
Most of the engineers are probably too old to hear anything above 10k, they likely have no idea how much high frequency noise is happening. Since they've never dealt with high frequency electronic noises before, I wouldn't be surprised their NVH program does nothing to detect, quantify, or address them. They should be running a spectral analysis like this during NVH testing of EVs and specify component noise thresholds to their suppliers like Visteon. And obviously run instrumented NVH spot checks on the assembled vehicles to ensure consistent quality. Display loudness really varies, you could get a quiet one or a loud one from the factory.

The worst noisemakers in Mach-E at idle are the instrument cluster and the power steering motor. The front motor in the non GT's also has gear whine around 30 MPH, Magna should have tested that better. The windshield gap is also a noisemaker on some cars if the windshield isn't placed just right, and the tempered front windows also let in a lot of side mirror wind noise. It's not horrible, but things could have been done better, as a result the Mach-E really isn't any quieter than my 13 year old Fusion.
Yep, yep, and yep. Lots of noises, exactly where you said. At this point just have to live with them.

OP
OP
methorian

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag