High Pitch Whine

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Yeah ours has gotten even louder since I last posted, and like you're describing it only happens when power is applied. It sort of goes away when coasting. Appointment is November 28th, so we're living with it for now. 0 to like 50 mph is when we hear it and it's obnoxious.
I dunno if it’s worth the appointment.

If nothing is broken, there is nothing to “fix,” and they’ll just tell you the noise is normal.

It’s possible you have a bad wheel bearing or something, but it’s probably just the normal noise of the electric motors.

Have you been in another Mach E recently to compare?
Sponsored

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
Reading these posts, it sounds exactly like mine too. I’ve had mine a little over a year now, and it sounds the exact same today as it did as I drove it out of the dealership. It also sounds a lot like the Metro (our electric subway system in Washington DC). I think it’s completely normal, and/or it doesn’t make me think anything is wrong. Like someone said above, we’re just trading engine grumbling and vibration for a whine at certain speeds. I’m good with that.

Gerynant24

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E4, SR AWD
Occupation
Design Assurance Manager
Country flag
I’ve been to two different dealerships and they say the same, it’s normal, all EVs do it. They are right that all Mache make this noise, but the fact is, other manufacturers are trying harder to make sure they don’t.

Shawnybs

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE-Mach-E and Mustang GT
Country flag
I dunno if it’s worth the appointment.

If nothing is broken, there is nothing to “fix,” and they’ll just tell you the noise is normal.

It’s possible you have a bad wheel bearing or something, but it’s probably just the normal noise of the electric motors.

Have you been in another Mach E recently to compare?
Our next door neighbors have an AWD premium, and we are friends, and I have been in it to compare. Our Mach-e sounds broken in comparison. It's definitely worth the appointment with how bad it is. I'll update next month with the dealerships evaluation!

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Our next door neighbors have an AWD premium, and we are friends, and I have been in it to compare. Our Mach-e sounds broken in comparison. It's definitely worth the appointment with how bad it is. I'll update next month with the dealerships evaluation!
At least you have a comparison. Does
Theirs have the noise just quieter? Could be the extra sound deadening in the premium.

The problem will still come down to “is something broken?”

Because “my engine is louder than normal,” doesn’t necessarily mean it’s broken.

But keep us updated!

kltye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
IB MME Premium RWD
Country flag
I don't really mind (too much) if it's something that has been happening since Day 1, but the fact that this is new is what worries me.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
I just started to notice this as well in the last couple of weeks, with about 17.6k on the odometer. Both my gf and I think it's coming from the rear right of the car. We did several tests and here are our observations:
1) As noted above, it's noticeable in the high 20s mph. (I have larger tires now, so the speedo under reports the speed).
2) It only appears to happen when power is going through the inverter/motor - so either when the go-pedal is depressed, or regen is activated. We've driven in Whisper, 1PD off, and the sound (almost) entirely disappears when just coasting, even at said speed. It immediately returned when lightly depressing the brake pedal.
3) The whine disappears after 30 ish mph, but returns around 47 mph. It goes away again after that over 50+ mph.
4) This whine is VERY different than the regular inverter/motor whine. It's much higher pitched, quieter, and sometimes alternates between two frequencies.

If I have time, I'll try to get a high quality recording of the whine to post here in the next few days.
Hello! Send us a private message with your MachE’s VIN. Allow me to see what I can do to assist. Thanks!

Toreus

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Premium ER AWD
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Bumping this with a similar issue. Mine is actually very high pitched and more noticeable at a higher speed (60 mph+). It’s almost above the human hearing frequency, but not quite - so it’s very annoying up there. Seems like the front motor for me too. AWD premium extended ‘22.

Charlie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 2022 - Limited Edition Iced White
Occupation
Technical
Country flag
Reading these posts, it sounds exactly like mine too. I’ve had mine a little over a year now, and it sounds the exact same today as it did as I drove it out of the dealership. It also sounds a lot like the Metro (our electric subway system in Washington DC). I think it’s completely normal, and/or it doesn’t make me think anything is wrong. Like someone said above, we’re just trading engine grumbling and vibration for a whine at certain speeds. I’m good with that.
Definitely, reminds me of the Metro. I'm in the DC area too. However, it would be nice to have a sound barrier we could install and minimize the impact. Hopefully Ford may see this as a useful accessory because I cannot see this being a recall.

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
The whine from this is no where near as bad as my 08 RX400H was. You could hear the planetary gears the entire time.

Davesen

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E Premium ER AWD Rapid Red
Country flag
Our next door neighbors have an AWD premium, and we are friends, andI have been in it to compare. Our Mach-e sounds broken in comparison. It's definitely worth the appointment with how bad it is. I'll update next month with the dealerships evaluation!
Did you ever get resolution on this? Anybody else in the string?

jaarollo

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MACH E
Country flag
I have said this before that it whines. It was more noticeable post HVJB replacement, I hear it above 40 like a high frequency hum.

Bogdan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e RWD 98kWh
Country flag
Kinda the same issue here.
High pitched whine when I go above 60mph and it gets loud under acceleration. It doesn't sound like bearing or anything like this, nor is it an electrical high pitched noise from the inverter as it is dependent on speed, not power draw.
I suspect that in my case this has to do with the singe gear transmission, but it would be very surprising if there is too much wear only after 15k miles.
Sponsored