How does the Ford Pass charging network work?

TheVirtualTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Escape Hybrid
Country flag
The car comes with 250kW of free charging ONLY at Electrify America stations. Other "in network" stations don't include free charging (although there are stations that are always free).

While other have mentioned the convenience of setting up just one app and being able to charge at lots of stations on various networks, there is a second advantage.

When you sign up for a membership at Electrify America (even a free network) you buy charging credits in blocks. So you would pre-load your account with some credit (e.g. $10/worth of charging credit) and they hold the money until you eventually use it ... then charge you for another block of charging credit.

When you use FordPass you basically pay for what you use *only* when you actually use it.

I 99% of the time just charge at home. But if I were planning a long road trip, I'd likely work out all the charging stops using Electrify America and at that point I'd probably sign up for their "Pass+" membership. It's $4/month but it cuts the cost of charging down by about 25%. Even on just ONE charge of say ... 10% back up to 80% ... it would already pay for itself. And here's the downside... if you pay for the charge via FordPass (or use Plug & Charge) you pay the higher (non Pass+) rate. So there's a case where you'd be better off download and paying via the Electrify America app.
Sponsored