How does the Mach E handle EVSE disconnect/reconnect cycles?

mixduptransistor

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Rapid Red Mach E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Country flag
So I am thinking of buying a JuiceBox as my in-garage EVSE, and want to take advantage of the scheduling in the EVSE (or, at least have the option vs. the scheduling in the car)

The way it works is, the EVSE will just appear to go offline when outside the schedule, and come back online when the schedule is in effect. Some EVs don't handle this well and won't charge when the EVSE turns itself back on. Does anyone have any experience with this, or be willing to test?

You could test this by plugging into your EVSE, turn off the breaker to the EVSE, don't disconnect the EVSE from the Mach E, and then turn the breaker back on and then report back whether or not it starts to charge or not
Sponsored

benk016

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I was messing with my ChargePoint EVSE last night. If I go into the app and tell it to "stop" charging, you hear it click off and cut power completely to the car. But as long as the car was still plugged in, the car knew it was plugged in, and said that charging was paused by the charger.

I haven't tried cutting power completely, but if you manage charging on the EVSE, it should still be communicating with the car through the other lines in the connector, just not putting any power out.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
My guess is that the EVSE first indicates that no power is available on the pilot line and then the car commands the disconnect.

You're far better off using the charge times in the car and not the EVSE.

When using the times in the car it can occasionally turn on the EVSE to charge up the 12V battery if needed.

When using the times in the EVSE this ability is eliminated.

JellyBelly

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME RR FE
Country flag
I am not sure how it works but MME frequently reports unplugged as status even if connected but not charging.
Sponsored