How often do you have to reboot large screen?

codyrobinson

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mach e premium
Country flag
I've had my MME Premium for about 2 weeks. I've had to do the VOL down and button to reset about 5 times already. Is this normal for the rest of you? I'm wondering if I need to take to dealership, or if that's just part of the normal deal.
Sponsored

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
I've had my MME Premium for about 2 weeks. I've had to do the VOL down and button to reset about 5 times already. Is this normal for the rest of you? I'm wondering if I need to take to dealership, or if that's just part of the normal deal.
I’ve had to do it once in about six weeks.

What are the symptoms happening that make you need to reboot it?

OP
OP
codyrobinson

codyrobinson

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 mach e premium
Country flag
I’ve had to do it once in about six weeks.

What are the symptoms happening that make you need to reboot it?
It's just a blank screen until i reboot, then it's fine. Happens on start up. Small display looks normal, but large screen just doesn't come on.

JohnnyForensic

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Infinite Blue MME 4X Premium
Occupation
Digital Forensics
Country flag
It's just a blank screen until i reboot, then it's fine. Happens on start up. Small display looks normal, but large screen just doesn't come on.
That sounds like a dealer issue to me. If you search the forum, I think you’ll find one, maybe two, threads on this happening and the owner ended-up needing a screen replacement. :(

RVAtom

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
I have done it a few times but it seems to be clumped together, and I wont have to do it again for a long time. One of the things that seems to tick it off is listening to a specific podcast on Pocketcasts in Android Auto. It may be a coincidence, but I am wondering if there is something about how Android Auto, Pocketcasts, and this specific podcast interact that is causing issues.

Eraser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium RWD | SR
Country flag
On average I've had to do it maybe once a month, twice in rare cases. I've had my MME since March.

zephiyr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium ER RWD
Country flag
My screen doesn’t come on a couple of times per month which requires a reset. Ford replaced the APIM to try and fix this but hard to tell whether the issue is really fixed since it is intermittent.

OH2AZ2OH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X
Country flag
It takes a minute or so to stabilize after a restart. Ive gotten the black screen twice in the last two weeks doing exactly the same thing each time: quickly going to the settings, software updates, and checking if I’ve gotten 1.7.1 yet. (I haven’t.). If I wait to check at the end of my drive, or even after I’ve backed out of the garage, no crashes. I’ve had to force reboot one, maybe two, other times in 3 months.

AllenXS

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Premium Blue ER AWD
Country flag
The screen went blank on me first time last week (after seven months). I couldn't be bothered resetting so just drove and in about 30 seconds it came back on fine.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I have done it a few times but it seems to be clumped together, and I wont have to do it again for a long time. One of the things that seems to tick it off is listening to a specific podcast on Pocketcasts in Android Auto. It may be a coincidence, but I am wondering if there is something about how Android Auto, Pocketcasts, and this specific podcast interact that is causing issues.
true story that I don't think I've told before on here (maybe I have - after as many posts as I've done, it gets fuzzy)...

on my Fusion, I replaced the MyFord Touch APIM (the main Sync hardware module) twice. The first time, I had the dealer do it, and it was almost $1,000. The second time, I did it myself for under $300 all up thanks to someone on eBay not knowing the value of what they had, some online videos, and Forscan.

Both times, the replacement was because I was getting an error from the underlying Windows CE for Automotive that was basically "woops, something really bad happened" (*), and the first time, the dealer saw the error and said, "oh, that's for sure a hardware failure, you gotta swap it."

Turns out, through some trial and error, I figured out it was how the "explicit" tag in Podcast Addict (**) was presenting over the Bluetooth audio that was causing the crash. I soon as I turned that off, the problem fixed itself. That was a lot of money down the tubes for nothing. Anyone want to buy a perfectly good APIM and screen? ?

(*) if you really want to know, it was the Service Host process crashing, which on CE is the same thing sort of as a driver crashing (***) except in a different process, which in theory is supposed to be survivable which is why the process is different, but apparently Sync wasn't built to cope with it so it just throws up its hands and crashes.

(**) in this case "explicit" means "may have salty language that kiddies shouldn't hear" which a lot of podcasts do nowadays because adults swear and such

(***) I am still deliberately oversimplifying because it's just not that important to the story

Chudsaviet

First Name
Timofei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 EV6 First Edition AWD, 2014 Leaf
Occupation
Software
Country flag
Once a week on average.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
oh I have another story to tell here too: there is an excellent episode of the excellent podcast "99% Invisible" that talks about a very specific Mazda infotainment system bug. it's a great listen:

The Roman Mars Mazda Virus - 99% Invisible (99percentinvisible.org)

Most programmers will see the punchline coming but it's still fun.
Sponsored