I was planning a work trip for Friday....but its not going to pan out.....

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
I love EV life. It keeps an Engineer constantly calculating. Thank goodness for 1.71 and the cheesy calculator…. This is just another day of seeing what I can (and cannot) do with my EV.

I am not in any way bashing EVs or the Mach E and am not debating SR vs ER or AWD vs RWD. I love mine and never regretted either EV purchase. This is just kind of funny how this trip planning worked out being in an all EV household.….

I cannot wait for the new EV Infrastructure. It has been too long in Maine. I wrote our Governor in the Fall of 2019 (when I bought our Ioniq EV) about Maine’s lacking EV infrastructure (at that time, 1 fast charger in the whole state, 110 miles away from me). I received no response. To date, nothing added between me and that station.

Finally, an announcement came last month for 6 new stations in Eastern Maine and along the I95 corridor to Bangor. Of course, they are all 50-62.5 kW units (WTF ugh…) and single units at each location (even more ugh..). Of course they will not be in place until 2022 mid year so they will not help me for this trip, but next Winter........hooray!

I have to travel for work Friday with an Exec. I was going to take the Mach E and show him how great EV life is. I then had a reality check….

So Bar Harbor Maine to Bangor Maine and finally Sanford Maine and back.

Leave with my AWD SR at 100% and reach Bangor to pick him up. I assumed 3.0 M/kWh (it will be freezing) 40 Miles, 55 MPH, 50 minutes, so 15.3 kWh to get there .

Pick him up and travel down I95. My closest level 3 is in West Gardiner Maine (110 miles from home), which is 90 miles away from Bangor. This will be 70 MPH, so 2.2 M/kWh, or 41 kWh. It will take 1 hour and 10 mins. to drive and I will use a total of 56 kWh to get there. 17% battery remaining. I have to charge to 80% to get as far as possible, so 43 kW needed at a 62.5 kW Chargepoint that gives me only a quick surge of 55 KW and settles at 48 kW. So about 51 freaking minutes of charging (if there is a free one of two)……….

We can talk about the weather I guess, play a few hands of poker and tell him how great EV’s are. Maybe show him the frunk and hands free tailgate. I hope it's not raining.....

From there, 70 MPH again to Sanford, 85 miles, 2.2 M/kWH, so 39 kWh to get there, only 15.4 kWh remaining……

Leaving there, the only EA station and closest level 3 is in Scarborough on the way back, so that is another 29 miles, 2.2 M/kWh, oh no, not enough range…..

So, I have to make another stop in Scarborough on the way down to make sure I can get back to Scarborough on the way back…. Probably another 30 plus minutes to charge/drive off the path each way (they do have a 150 kW EA unit thank goodness, hopefully it's available).....we can maybe have another hand of Poker, talk more about the weather. At this point, he will be thinking, why would anyone want an EV and why does NKlem work for this company.......

Anyway, we are renting an ICE car for the trip, it’s our company policy anyway..…… If it was summer, I would do it with the EV. If I were travelling alone (in Winter or summer), I would do it as well even with the Ioniq.

I hope you enjoyed this…..and a fresh clean photo from this AM.

Ford Mustang Mach-E I was planning a work trip for Friday....but its not going to pan out..... mach e 7.JPG
Sponsored

Tampamike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium RWD
Country flag
I feel your pain. We were just up there last month. Had to get creative. Fortunately, the B and B in Freeport had a 110 plug under the two Tesla chargers. It helped. Bar Harbour is a little slim on chargers. Got a free charge from a museum there that was closed. It helped. Had to go out of our way one day to use that EA outside of Portland. Went up through Skowhegan and Jackman To Canada, eh. You guys could definitely use some more and faster chargers.

OP
OP
Nklem

Nklem

First Name
Norm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Solterra
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Country flag
I feel your pain. We were just up there last month. Had to get creative. Fortunately, the B and B in Freeport had a 110 plug under the two Tesla chargers. It helped. Bar Harbour is a little slim on chargers. Got a free charge from a museum there that was closed. It helped. Had to go out of our way one day to use that EA outside of Portland. Went up through Skowhegan and Jackman To Canada, eh. You guys could definitely use some more and faster chargers.
Yes, “Vacationland” for anyone except non-Tesla EV’s.
Sponsored