Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Finally became a victim of ICE rage. A car pulled up on my right at a stop light. Woman took a drag off of her cigarette then flicked the butt into my car’s right side and took off turning right. Well, either ICE rage or she just had a really powerful flicking finger. 🤬😱🐩

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
There has been at least 10 instances that people want to race us at the light, and all of them so far have been tesla drivers. We always just pretend we'll race them then go on our own business. One time, waze app showed cop ahead and the tesla driver actually got pulled over. Too bad waze isn't available in tesla.
Nice bike BTW - don't see too many Orbea's :)

MellowJohnny

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Solution Architect
Country flag
I only get ICE mustangs revving their engines, not sure how to take that
When we test drove the MME we were back at the dealership and someone was getting into a an ICE GT and revving the crap out of it - they just looked over a bit embarrassed like, "sorry about that, that was a bit obnoxious...". We all laughed...

RetiredDP

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Focus RS
Occupation
Retired Director of Videography, Editor, Compressionist
Country flag
When I drove a Tesla, I often saw little microaggressions from other drivers, particularly pickups, and especially diesels. Some of it was imagined, sure, fed by stories of coal rolling, tailgating, brake checking, ICEing chargers, etc.

I also saw regular-way aggressions, including coal rolling, tailgating, brake checking, ICEing chargers, etc. Sometimes a little scary, often annoying, and always unnecessary.

So, I wonder, do you get the same thing when driving a Mach-E? I mean, it's got a Ford logo on it, so that ought to make some people's heads explode and might change some others' minds. Does the Mach-E get away with being an EV because it's not an obvious EV?

Curious what other's experience has been.
I've had lots of people come up to me and ask "Is that the new Mustang?" When I answer "Yes, it's the new all-electric Mustang Mach-E", they respond in shock with "It's ELECTRIC!!!...Is it a hybrid?" Obviously, Ford hasn't advertised these cars enough...they don't know anything about it.

I did have one guy at a cars-and-coffee go out of his way to confront me with "Ya know, that's NOT a real Mustang!" I responded with "Evolve or Die".

DaveQ

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E4X, HR-V, Insight, Maserati Levante S
Country flag
Got a comment recently at a Ford / Mustang meet from an old cranky guy saying, "Ford has watered down the Mustang name." And kept walking. I tried to show it to him, but would have nothing to do with it. So sad.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I've had lots of people come up to me and ask "Is that the new Mustang?" When I answer "Yes, it's the new all-electric Mustang Mach-E", they respond in shock with "It's ELECTRIC!!!...Is it a hybrid?"
<SNIP>
One of my company’s vendors commented on “that cool looking blue Mustang” in the parking lot. “I didn’t know they made a Mustang SUV.” I told him it was mine and it all-electric. He also asked if it were a hybrid. No, sorry. It’s a purebred electric… 🐩🐩🐩

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
One of my company’s vendors commented on “that cool looking blue Mustang” in the parking lot. “I didn’t know they made a Mustang SUV.” I told him it was mine and it all-electric. He also asked if it were a hybrid. No, sorry. It’s a purebred electric… 🐩🐩🐩
I actually get the hybrid question a lot and I'm fine with that, since the public is still learning about hybrid vs. PHEV vs. EV outside of the Tesla name, at least in my part of the world.

I look at it this way - for better or worse, the Mach-E puts us in the situation of being ambassadors for traditional manufacturer EVs, more than many other cars even before it (e.g. Leaf), because of the size and because of the Mustang name. So I'm completely fine with that, and I also am very careful to be patient with people's questions around this. (*) People are genuinely curious and I want them to have a positive impression. I expect the Lightning will be exactly the same way. (**)

(*) it's probably legitimately hard for some of you to believe that I am this way but I promise I am... don't let my forum presence convince you otherwise
(**) assuming I buy the one I have on order (***)
(***) I keep telling myself this so I can sleep at night without thinking about the cost of it

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I actually get the hybrid question a lot and I'm fine with that, since the public is still learning about hybrid vs. PHEV vs. EV outside of the Tesla name, at least in my part of the world.

I look at it this way - for better or worse, the Mach-E puts us in the situation of being ambassadors for traditional manufacturer EVs, more than many other cars even before it (e.g. Leaf), because of the size and because of the Mustang name. So I'm completely fine with that, and I also am very careful to be patient with people's questions around this. (*) People are genuinely curious and I want them to have a positive impression. I expect the Lightning will be exactly the same way. (**)

(*) it's probably legitimately hard for some of you to believe that I am this way but I promise I am... don't let my forum presence convince you otherwise
(***) I keep telling myself this so I can sleep at night without thinking about the cost of it
Heh. I didn’t really tell him that my car was a purebred. It’s more of a joke on my breed and having AKC registration. 🤪🐩

I was actually pretty patient with him and explained the battery, charging limitations (weird charge curves, 80% cliff, Goldilocks SoC, etc.). He came away pretty enthused. 😊🐩

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ground-based: CA Route 1 AWD, ER
Occupation
Planetary Science
Country flag

I agree. I try to be patient with all the honest questions. As far as I know, our Mustang is the only one in town, so I think it's important for me to be honest, patient, and responsive. Not for Ford's sake, they have far more money and time than I do for advertising their product. Rather, I think EVs are a necessary part of the future of transportation and so I have placed a responsibility on myself to behave as if I actually believe that when people are asking questions.

Avelli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
E91 6MT RWD, 22 MME GT
Country flag
Got a comment recently at a Ford / Mustang meet from an old cranky guy saying, "Ford has watered down the Mustang name." And kept walking. I tried to show it to him, but would have nothing to do with it. So sad.
Old and cranky, but not old enough or cranky enough to remember the Mustang II, or all the Suffering-6 and Lima-I4 models.

Gatekeepers are so weird, and they exist in every brand. To wit:

• BMW fanbois who don't consider e90/e92/e93 M3s as an M3, because it has a V8 instead of an inline 6.
  • Corvette folks who are upset over the C8
  • Saab & Volvo classicalists who don't consider GM- and Ford-era vehicles as part of the marque (same for Jaaaaag)
  • Triumph owners who have to deal with crotchety ex-riders, who believe real Triumphs came from Coventry, not Hinckley
Of all of those, you could tell who the real enthusiasts were, because they were inclusive, not exclusive in their opinions, and appreciated the variety and rich history of the brand.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Old and cranky, but not old enough or cranky enough to remember the Mustang II, or all the Suffering-6 and Lima-I4 models.

Gatekeepers are so weird, and they exist in every brand. To wit:

• BMW fanbois who don't consider e90/e92/e93 M3s as an M3, because it has a V8 instead of an inline 6.
  • Corvette folks who are upset over the C8
  • Saab & Volvo classicalists who don't consider GM- and Ford-era vehicles as part of the marque (same for Jaaaaag)
  • Triumph owners who have to deal with crotchety ex-riders, who believe real Triumphs came from Coventry, not Hinckley
Of all of those, you could tell who the real enthusiasts were, because they were inclusive, not exclusive in their opinions, and appreciated the variety and rich history of the brand.
The Corvette thing is super weird because the C8 is widely considered by the press as the best Corvette ever.