Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
After almost 2 months of driving now, I have a couple things I would love to see changed/added on the dashboard.... and hope that if enough of you all chime in we can get Ford to consider for some future OTA.

1. add display of actual kW power in/out, 'always on', so driver can see regen/output power and verify actual charge power while charging. Suggested location for display might be just above or below current display of 'Estimated Range'. I think we would all appreciate verification of the charge rate and it is very informative to see regen/output power consumed with 1-p driving....

2. change the 'Range' from a calculation based on cumulative average consumption since last 'cleared' to be a 'rolling calculation' based on last 100 miles that updates based on net consumption over last 100 miles every mile. This would increase accuracy automatically as conditions change.... such as if you have been driving around town, and head out on a long highway trip with less regen than in-town stop-and-go, the estimated range would 'adjust'.

so..... comments? additions? discussion?
maybe just 'like' if you don't want to comment, so Ford can see that *some* percentage of Members like these ideas....
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I'll agree that having the charging rate while charging is a huge oversight, and definitely the GOM needs to be fixed - but I'm not sure your formula is the right one. As for displaying the in/out value all the time on the driver display, that might be confusing to newbies and could start to make the display cluttered. Putting the current usage/regen values in the tripmeter app on the center screen is a different matter.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I'll agree that having the charging rate while charging is a huge oversight, and definitely the GOM needs to be fixed - but I'm not sure your formula is the right one.
maybe a 'selectable' algo.... a setting choice for GOM based on:
a. cumulative average consumption rate/mi since last reset
b. rolling average over last 50, 100, 150, 200 miles
c ?

As for displaying the in/out value all the time on the driver display, that might be confusing to newbies and could start to make the display cluttered. Putting the current usage/regen values in the tripmeter app on the center screen is a different matter.
I think most drivers are pretty used to looking at at least two gauges: speed and tach. Tach doesn't 'mean' much in an EV, but the kW in/out sure do. A kW gauge with a dial range of -100 to +250 would do the job enough to show max regen, charge, and max output.

How cool would it be to 'build your own dashboard ?! pick which gauges you show, or don't show! style, font, color even?! Basically any data available via OBD2, or other internal datastreams available to display module could be displayed.

CS use 04 showing max kW.jpg

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
How cool would it be to 'build your own dashboard ?! pick which gauges you show, or don't show! style, font, color even?! Basically any data available via OBD2, or other internal datastreams available to display module could be displayed.
Agreed, that would be pretty awesome and I'd second that motion. As for a tach, I am absolutely positive 66% of the people in my household have no idea what a tach is displaying :p

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
After almost 2 months of driving now, I have a couple things I would love to see changed/added on the dashboard.... and hope that if enough of you all chime in we can get Ford to consider for some future OTA.

1. add display of actual kW power in/out, 'always on', so driver can see regen/output power and verify actual charge power while charging. Suggested location for display might be just above or below current display of 'Estimated Range'. I think we would all appreciate verification of the charge rate and it is very informative to see regen/output power consumed with 1-p driving....

2. change the 'Range' from a calculation based on cumulative average consumption since last 'cleared' to be a 'rolling calculation' based on last 100 miles that updates based on net consumption over last 100 miles every mile. This would increase accuracy automatically as conditions change.... such as if you have been driving around town, and head out on a long highway trip with less regen than in-town stop-and-go, the estimated range would 'adjust'.

maybe just 'like' if you don't want to comment, so Ford can see that *some* percentage of Members like these ideas....

Carsinmyblood

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'53 XK120, '58 MGA, '66 E-Type, MME Prem, EX, awd
Occupation
Self employed
Country flag
I think eventually we'll get in and drive with a pretty good idea of what's going on.

Anyone read a microwave instruction book lately, or have we figured them out?

In the meantime, #1 can word like a ammeter, red for battery use, green for battery charging and an overall ratio score next to it. An easy number to remember and try to increase, like trying to get better mpg in our ICE machines.

#2, definitely. Make the method driver selectable.

jjwolf

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium 4X, M3, Yukon
Country flag
I still want an analog speed display... reading numbers is annoying since i have to actually process the number and convert it to a "am i going the speed i want to be?" instead of just seeing where a needle is in my peripheral vision. maybe that's just my age showing... i'm over 27.

jeffdawgfan

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang MachE AWD ER, 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Occupation
Retired Navy / Veterans Administration
Country flag
Fort could take a look at the displays in the Nissan Leaf and Chevy Bolt and do their on take on something like that. It shows power out as well as regen.

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I still want an analog speed display... reading numbers is annoying since i have to actually process the number and convert it to a "am i going the speed i want to be?" instead of just seeing where a needle is in my peripheral vision. maybe that's just my age showing... i'm over 27.
totally agree.... I really liked the 'custom dash design' features in the Car Scanner app that allow exactly that. See my image above. I would LOVE a kW dial and speed dial, with number in the middle. Even cooler with min/max high water readings.

The CarScanner can display HV volts, and Amps, but you can't do any math to multiply and display kW. It would be trivial for Ford todo it since they already have the datastreams.

jjwolf

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME Premium 4X, M3, Yukon
Country flag
It would be trivial for Ford todo it since they already have the datastreams.
I've been assuming the current software is like the first iPhone (remember those?) and that in a couple years there will be all sorts of extra things over what's available in 1.0.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Do the speed limit signs by you display needle point settings? Because most people need to see that needle, convert that to a number, then compare that number to the speed limit, so a digital speed display actually saves them a step.

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
I’d like to see something showing your regen on a bar graph with a line for the threshold where the friction brakes are going to kick in. Even if it was only active when the braking coach was enabled. Telling me after the fact that I did ok doesn’t help me learn about how capable the system is. I’d also like the braking coach to be available in all drive modes.

eStang

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Occupation
software salesperson
Country flag
I’d like to see something showing your regen on a bar graph with a line for the threshold where the friction brakes are going to kick in. Even if it was only active when the braking coach was enabled. Telling me after the fact that I did ok doesn’t help me learn about how capable the system is. I’d also like the braking coach to be available in all drive modes.
Ah, brake coach is not available in all drive modes you say? That would explain why I've been feeling the feature was playing hide and seek with me. Does it only show up in Engage?

OP
OP
dtbaker61

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
Ah, brake coach is not available in all drive modes you say? That would explain why I've been feeling the feature was playing hide and seek with me. Does it only show up in Engage?
I find the brake coaching AFTER a trip to be pretty useless. Which is why I'd like to see the actual regen in kW on a dial.... so I can see the difference in max kW regen in different modes easily.

My challange to myself is to use unbridled mode with 1-pedal on to get max power AND regen, and never touch the mechanical brake pedal. I find that with a little practice the only time I have to use the brake pedal is if a light changes unexpectedly fast...

Gatorwilly

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White premium mach e
Occupation
ret.
Country flag

12 V. battery status icon.. dead 12 V. routine is a pain in the rear.. Love the car.. WW
Sponsored