Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 expedition,2018 edge,2010 escape, 2008 mini
Occupation
Technician
Country flag
So when I first connected my in vehicle modem, I was offered unlimited data for the year for a one time price of $200. As far as I can tell using Android auto wireless connection I am using my cellphone's data plan and not the connected car feature. Anyone know how to use the connected car data plan instead of the cellphones data plan?
Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue FE
Country flag
So when I first connected my in vehicle modem, I was offered unlimited data for the year for a one time price of $200. As far as I can tell using Android auto wireless connection I am using my cellphone's data plan and not the connected car feature. Anyone know how to use the connected car data plan instead of the cellphones data plan?
I was under the impression that the the car has WiFi hotspot. So just connect your phone to that hotspot. Just like you would at home.

Luke

First Name
Luciano
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach e, Taurus
Occupation
Computer Engineer
Country flag
I could not find any justification to pay the extra $200 a year. If they allowed me to watch the cameras on demand or when the alarm goes off I would consider getting the extra plan. I have unlimited data already on my phone, so I don’t see any need while I’m in the car.

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E 4X
Country flag
There was recently a similar thread with the same issue on Apple Car Play. It depends if you're wired or wireless. If you are using AA wireless, it connects to the car via WiFi. While it is "possible" for the car to share its hotspot over that same connection, it doesn't.

TLDR: if you're wireless, the phone has to rely on its own data. If you're using wired AA you can connect to the car hotspot
Sponsored