Installed a Draw-Tite Hitch (for bikes), now my "Kick to Open Hatch" is impaired.

OP
OP
dhoerl

dhoerl

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Its been several months since I installed the hitch, and really its been less of an issue than I had originally thought. Kicking with the left foot works virtually every time, but as a righty, its not easy to do.
Using the right foot, if I kick in at a 45 degree angle to the junction of hitch and cover, it works about 80% of the time.
In the end I'm happier having the hitch than a perfect kick-to-open.
Sponsored

oadesign

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
oaddesign.com
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Interactive Design Director
Country flag
I just had a Curt hitch installed (for my Küat bike rack), and no matter where and how I kick, the tailgate will not open. It worked flawlessly prior to the hitch, and I use it every week when returning to the car from my hockey game, when I'm carrying my equipment and don't have a free hand. Ugh. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
dhoerl

dhoerl

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
I just had a Curt hitch installed (for my Küat bike rack), and no matter where and how I kick, the tailgate will not open. It worked flawlessly prior to the hitch, and I use it every week when returning to the car from my hockey game, when I'm carrying my equipment and don't have a free hand. Ugh. :rolleyes:

I can only imagine that they damaged the sensor when it was installed. No one else has complained of completely losing this feature.

I've found over time that a left kick diagonal into the corner between the hitch and the bumper works best. It may not work all the time but it works 80% of the time. Two or three tries and hatch opens 100% of the time.

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Did they cut the antenna when they make the cutout in the lower bumper cover? There are two wires that stretch across the inside of the bumper below the backup light that comprise the sensor.

ThomF

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mustang Mach-e
Occupation
Engineer-historian
Country flag
I'll be interested in your experience with the new hitch--been thinking of adding one to mine.

As an aside, be careful that you don't activate the hatch inadvertently while placing your bikes on the hitch. My wife has this feature on her Edge and I've had that issue once or twice. It's a bit awkward having the hatch open while you are lifting a bicycle into place.

And, of course, those bikes are 'seen' by the back-up camera, causing a bunch of beeping, etc.

oadesign

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
oaddesign.com
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E Premium Extended Range RWD
Occupation
Interactive Design Director
Country flag
I can only imagine that they damaged the sensor when it was installed. No one else has complained of completely losing this feature.

I've found over time that a left kick diagonal into the corner between the hitch and the bumper works best. It may not work all the time but it works 80% of the time. Two or three tries and hatch opens 100% of the time.
I highly doubt it, as I trust my mechanic 100%...he's an old pro, and quite meticulous. He told me he spent extra time on the cutout, just to get it perfect; so I highly doubt he cut any wires.

OP
OP
dhoerl

dhoerl

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
I highly doubt it, as I trust my mechanic 100%...he's an old pro, and quite meticulous. He told me he spent extra time on the cutout, just to get it perfect; so I highly doubt he cut any wires.
If its me, I'm taking the car back, asking him to pull the bottom cover, get a flashlight, and look carefully to see if something looks amiss with the unit and wire. Maybe some electrical connection was already half unplugged, and just touching a wire unplugged it. To do this you really need the car on a lift. Good luck!
Sponsored