horsiedad

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT PE, Mach-E Premium
Country flag
I installed my new Hollywood bike rack onto my stealthhitches.com hidden hitch today. They had to cut away a hole in the bottom of the back bumper to install the hitch. I was a bit concerned about the hole, but was able to fabricate a plate to cover it. I'm kind of proud of my homemade solution. ?

Ford Mustang Mach-E Installed Hidden Hitch by Stealthhitches PXL_20210413_191753315

Ford Mustang Mach-E Installed Hidden Hitch by Stealthhitches PXL_20210413_180236458

Ford Mustang Mach-E Installed Hidden Hitch by Stealthhitches PXL_20210413_180954572

Ford Mustang Mach-E Installed Hidden Hitch by Stealthhitches PXL_20210413_180146613

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
How is the "hatch" attached? I've been contemplating something similar.

OP
OP
horsiedad

horsiedad

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
How is the "hatch" attached? I've been contemplating something similar.
I bought a piece of sheet plastic and a piece of sheet rubber. The rubber, which is about an inch bigger around than the hole is glued to the plastic to seal the hole. The hitch itself puts enough pressure on the plate from the inside to keep it in place. I hope. ;)

Ford Mustang Mach-E Installed Hidden Hitch by Stealthhitches PXL_20210413_205612485

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
I realize this is likely a dumb question but I don't understand the pictures - does the exposed hitch connector detach from the car side or something and that's what you're covering up?

OP
OP
horsiedad

horsiedad

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I realize this is likely a dumb question but I don't understand the pictures - does the exposed hitch connector detach from the car side or something and that's what you're covering up?
Not a dumb question. The removable receiver attaches to the hitch frame from a hole cut in the bottom of the bumper.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Installed Hidden Hitch by Stealthhitches PXL_20210330_010918065

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
oh that make it SuperStealthy (TM)(R)(C)(ABC), got it! :)

it would be nice if they supplied some kind of "hole cover" given the setup but your solution looks sufficiently elegant. :)

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
I do love that this one is more stealthy than the Torqlift, but concern I would have is the exposed space when I have the hitch/mount connected.

ajmartineau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E
Country flag
It looks like they are using the EU connection point. Can you tell us what comes in the box, or share the install manual?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I bought a piece of sheet plastic and a piece of sheet rubber. The rubber, which is about an inch bigger around than the hole is glued to the plastic to seal the hole. The hitch itself puts enough pressure on the plate from the inside to keep it in place. I hope. ;)

PXL_20210413_205612485.jpg
Cool. What is holding the plate onto the car?

Smurf

First Name
Nancy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus SC430
Country flag
I’m looking into the Torklift Ecohitch. It ain’t cheap. But the website specifically says it’s for the Mach e. I’m hoping with this one, the install doesn’t require cutting pieces off my car. One of the things that appeals to me about the Ecohitch, aside from the fact that it’s made in USA, is that the receiver is stainless steel. We have a 10yo hitch on another car, and it’s pretty rusty, as is the bike rack. BTW, does anyone know if a bike will fit inside the car without having to take the front wheel off?

As for the bike rack, I’m looking into the 1Up. A friend has it and it’s super cool looking. It’s made of anodized aluminum, so no rust, and even in the up position, it doesn’t block access to the liftgate. BTW< it’s also made in USA.

The bad news: I think there’s a really long wait for both.

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag
I’m looking into the Torklift Ecohitch. It ain’t cheap. But the website specifically says it’s for the Mach e. I’m hoping with this one, the install doesn’t require cutting pieces off my car. One of the things that appeals to me about the Ecohitch, aside from the fact that it’s made in USA, is that the receiver is stainless steel. We have a 10yo hitch on another car, and it’s pretty rusty, as is the bike rack. BTW, does anyone know if a bike will fit inside the car without having to take the front wheel off?

As for the bike rack, I’m looking into the 1Up. A friend has it and it’s super cool looking. It’s made of anodized aluminum, so no rust, and even in the up position, it doesn’t block access to the liftgate. BTW< it’s also made in USA.

I haven't installed either yet (car coming this week, cross my fingers), but I have a Torklift hitch and the 1-Up EquipD rack in my garage. The Torklift shipped almost immediately, and appears to be good quality. I don't have any concerns about it mounting up and the SS components are a nice touch.

1 Up is indeed oversold right now, but I put myself on their waitlist about 6 weeks ago, got an email link to purchase about a week later, and the hitch about 2 weeks after that, so 3 weeks total lead time from putting myself on the list. Not too bad, and the hitch is great quality (I've used them on friend's vehicles as well). I'll post details on the clearance once I have it all put together.

phidauex

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE 4EX, 2006 Prius, 1997 Tacoma
Occupation
Renewable Energy Engineer
Country flag

Update - the Torklift hitch installed without difficulty. There are a lot of tiny fasteners you have to remove to drop the “diaper”. I recommend a small impact driver with a 10mm socket to make quick work of it, and a small metal trim fastener remover tool for the four plastic clips (I don’t know WHY they would use clips like this on the bottom of a car…).

The EquipD rack works, but it is a very snug fit. At the rack’s furthest extension it just barely clears the bumper, and it is far enough out that the included lock doesn’t work. I’m debating whether I need a short extension. Unfortunately I don’t need 8”, I need like 2”… Fortunately the rack is extremely sturdy and there is no wobble when unloaded, so even though the clearance to the back is tight, it doesn’t look like it will bump and rub.

Seth

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E, 1970 Ford Mustang Mach 1
Country flag
@horsiedad How is the homemade hole cover working out for you? Stealth Hitch advised me today that they will be making these available for order next month and I was thinking about the cover like you made. Would you do anything different?
Sponsored