dsheib

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E Premium AWD SR, Ducati Multistrada 1200S
Country flag
Here’s a head-scratcher for you. I live south of Boston and drive into Logan Airport occasionally. One time this past November I was driving in to pick up my son and, when I was almost to the airport, the instrument cluster went blank and then rebooted. Once it went through the process, it did it again and again, probably 5 or 6 times. While this was happening, the main display stayed up with navigation and Sirius XM working fine. When I got to the airport entrance, it finally returned to normal. I figured maybe an update had installed while driving and caused this behavior and didn’t think much more about it. A few days later I drove in to send him back to Chicago and it happened again! Same time, as I was partially through the Ted Williams tunnel it went nuts and came back as I popped back up from under the harbor. Twice more before Christmas I drove to the airport and it happened both times, always at around the same spot in the tunnel. I had to go to Logan again yesterday so I finally got smart and stuck a GoPro to the roof looking over my shoulder and got footage of it happening.

I can’t say that it always starts at exactly the same spot but I think it’s pretty close. It never happens coming out of the airport even though I’m travelling the same route in reverse and it has never happened anywhere else in 33k miles of driving. Yesterday it threw a TPMS fault and an ABS fault and notified me through FordPass but that hasn’t happened in previous instances. It’s a 2021 Premium AWD SR Job 1.

Any ideas what might be happening?

Sponsored

Mach-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium AWD
Occupation
Sci/Eng
Country flag
Try using the Ford navigation instead. There might be a bug with Android auto. End navigation if it happens again.

Ghost Ryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MYP, 22 GTPE
Country flag
I think you found the Tesla Mode Easter Egg. Ford is testing to see if owner mind if they get rid of the instrument cluster. The first step was moving the Speedometer to the right side from dead center.

OP
OP
dsheib

dsheib

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Try using the Ford navigation instead. There might be a bug with Android auto. End navigation if it happens again.
I'll try that next time. It's strange that Android Auto keeps working fine on the big display and a little troubling that it could possibly be crashing the car's systems. Driving into Boston is never easy but maybe some night I'll head in after midnight and do a few laps into and out of the airport to experiment with different nav choices.

CarGuyBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e GTPE - Bronco - Mustang Dark Horse
Occupation
Photographer
Country flag
How did you get your speedometer back in the center?

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
Here’s a head-scratcher for you. I live south of Boston and drive into Logan Airport occasionally. One time this past November I was driving in to pick up my son and, when I was almost to the airport, the instrument cluster went blank and then rebooted. Once it went through the process, it did it again and again, probably 5 or 6 times. While this was happening, the main display stayed up with navigation and Sirius XM working fine. When I got to the airport entrance, it finally returned to normal. I figured maybe an update had installed while driving and caused this behavior and didn’t think much more about it. A few days later I drove in to send him back to Chicago and it happened again! Same time, as I was partially through the Ted Williams tunnel it went nuts and came back as I popped back up from under the harbor. Twice more before Christmas I drove to the airport and it happened both times, always at around the same spot in the tunnel. I had to go to Logan again yesterday so I finally got smart and stuck a GoPro to the roof looking over my shoulder and got footage of it happening.

I can’t say that it always starts at exactly the same spot but I think it’s pretty close. It never happens coming out of the airport even though I’m travelling the same route in reverse and it has never happened anywhere else in 33k miles of driving. Yesterday it threw a TPMS fault and an ABS fault and notified me through FordPass but that hasn’t happened in previous instances. It’s a 2021 Premium AWD SR Job 1.

Any ideas what might be happening?

Hi there, Dave. This cluster rebooting concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your Mach-E. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end if you are still in need of assistance. To send a private message, just click on our username and select "Start Conversation".

OP
OP
dsheib

dsheib

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hi there, Dave. This cluster rebooting concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your Mach-E. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end if you are still in need of assistance. To send a private message, just click on our username and select "Start Conversation".
Thanks for responding, sent you a PM.