Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
From what I understand, in order for EA to charge by the kwhr many states would need to change their regulations regarding EA being qualified as an electric utility. I don't think that will happen any time soon, and even if it did they would then be subject to most state's pricing restrictions on utility rates.

theothertom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Chevy Bolt
Country flag
California recently passed a law requiring EV chargers to "charge" (yeah, I know) by the kWh. Actually it's a good idea due to tapering of the charge rate....

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
California recently passed a law requiring EV chargers to "charge" (yeah, I know) by the kWh. Actually it's a good idea due to tapering of the charge rate....
They'll need to figure out a way to incentivize customers to maximize their charge rate then leave If drivers are only charged for the kWh, then they'll linger for that extra energy to go from 80->100% because why not.

OP
OP
hybrid2bev

hybrid2bev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Job 1 Premium4X - EAP Member
Country flag
They'll need to figure out a way to incentivize customers to maximize their charge rate then leave If drivers are only charged for the kWh, then they'll linger for that extra energy to go from 80->100% because why not.
Why not set the pricing by SOC and kWh? Lower SOC = normal rates per kWh, then as the SOC increases a higher price kicks in. So the price per kWh is $X until 80% SOC. Over 80% SOC the price per kWh is $XX.

eager2own

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Porsche Panamera S e-Hybrid
Country flag
To clarify, although the law did just pass, it only imposes that requirement for new Level 2 stations installed 2021 and after and for new DCFC stations installed 2023 and after. Those installed before those deadlines are grandfathered in without the rule until 2031 and 2033.

theothertom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Chevy Bolt
Country flag
Why not? Because DCFC are mainly used for road trips, and people want to be back on the road, not sitting at a charger that's now become "slow".

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Why not? Because DCFC are mainly used for road trips, and people want to be back on the road, not sitting at a charger that's now become "slow".
You'd think that, except that's not what actually happens. Just look at the Supercharger congestion where you've got people lingering and not moving on. Congestion is amplified by owners with unlimited supercharging privileges who will camp on a stall for over an hour.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
€0.79 ($0.88) per kWh?? Holy crap, that's expensive. Even for Europe.

One more reason to consider dedicating the BEV to home-charge radius only.

theothertom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Chevy Bolt
Country flag
You'd think that, except that's not what actually happens. Just look at the Supercharger congestion where you've got people lingering and not moving on. Congestion is amplified by owners with unlimited supercharging privileges who will camp on a stall for over an hour.
I don't think many people "linger" at superchargers. It's such a time waster. Yes, sometimes SC's are backed up, but that's generally in high travel times and because there are so many Teslas.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I don't think many people "linger" at superchargers. It's such a time waster. Yes, sometimes SC's are backed up, but that's generally in high travel times and because there are so many Teslas.
Gotcha. So you don't think charging by the minute would motivate drivers to move on?

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
Gotcha. So you don't think charging by the minute would motivate drivers to move on?
It would me. Even if I am stopped to eat dinner, incurring $.70/min to slowly top off above 80% I probably won't do it.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That's logical, although I suspect there are some% that use that time to go eat at a restaurant. And that'll produce some delays getting back to the vehicle at the right time.

That's another thing I look at with just a little skepticism when people say "Use that time to have lunch". Certainly true in many cases, but that's not without it's flaws too. If there's a fast food restaurant right in the lot, that's probably fine (as long as you're happy eating that fast food). But many times the closest (acceptable) restaurant will be blocks away. And could be a sit-down restaurant where you could be stuck with a lengthier meal, slow service, etc. All while the vehicle is sitting there for 20 minutes longer than it needs to be, blocking it for the next person.

Once people leave their vehicles unattended, the odds of getting tied up with something and losing time increase significantly.
Sponsored