Is Mach E extra susceptible to windshield chips?

JSW

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt; Porsche Boxster; Chevy Blazer; Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
The original windshield (November 2020 build) seemed to chip easily - I had 4 repairs in 9 months. After the windshield was replaced, it seems more resilient, I hear things hit it, but no stone chips in the last 9 months.

I recognize there is likely no difference, but I can’t help but feel better about my “good” windshield.
Sponsored

jason330i

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium RWD
Country flag
Just joined the club.
Highway driving during a thunderstorm. Heard rocks hitting windshield.
Couldn’t find any chips.
A week later, giant crack leading to the chip I couldn’t find.
Sigh.

Psifire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 MMe Premium ER AWD
Country flag
I live in the SF Bay Area. So, yeah, lots of construction and lots of rocks on the roads.

Prior to driving my Mach-E, I can honestly say that I don't recall having to repair a windshield in 35+ years of driving:

1) Ford Fairmont - station wagon
2) Toyota (Tacoma) 4x4
- had a "bug deflector", which kinda skews this one
3) Toyota Tacoma 2WD
- had a "bug deflector", which kinda skews this one as well
4) 2 x Honda Accords
5) BMW Z3
6) Subaru Forrester
7) Honda CR-V
8) Tesla 3

In the 13 months I've owned my Mach-E, I've had the windshield chipped twice. First rock bounced such that it was actually a double chip. Fortunately, the shop I took it to said the 2 chips were close enough such that they charged me 1.4x to fix both. Second rock happened sometime this past week.

From what I've gathered talking to co-workers, it seems like I've been very lucky until now.

When I mentioned the second chip to my wife, she asked if there was something special that made the Mach-E's windshield more prone to chipping.

Would be nice if someone from @Ford Motor Company would chime in,. ;)

OP
OP
daemonic3

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Premium ER Mach E, '21 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Well, we've owned it nearly 1.5 years now, and since my initial post, we have had ZERO new chips.

I had one chip in my 2013 Escape, in my previous 6 vehicles over 30 years, then 2 chips in the first month on this car seemed CRAZY!

Very hard to prove anything but who knows. Anyway, no new chips since then! We bought a protect plan (very rare for us!) and it paid off since it included chips. The guy got one to disappear 100% but the 2nd big one is still a little visible though he says he got all the oxygen out and it is solid, just will always have the fracture line a little visible.

DugthePug Dad

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E premium
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
My Escape went through 4 windshields. I was doing sales calls in the Bay Area and putting 100 plus miles a day on it. The worst stretch was the 101 past SFO airport towards south SF.

I have not had any chips with my MME so far. Then again I’m retired now and only have 1,556 miles on it and I got it in July 2023.

let’s hope my luck continues…

Melancholy1980

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Mustang Mach-E Premium Ext AWD Ice White
Country flag
Not only windshield chips but paint chips. Feels like I find a new one every couple of months. Previous vehicles I never had this many and haven’t really changed my routes or driving style. Leads me to believe that quality is a factor.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E
Country flag
I live in the SF Bay Area. So, yeah, lots of construction and lots of rocks on the roads.

Prior to driving my Mach-E, I can honestly say that I don't recall having to repair a windshield in 35+ years of driving:

1) Ford Fairmont - station wagon
2) Toyota (Tacoma) 4x4
- had a "bug deflector", which kinda skews this one
3) Toyota Tacoma 2WD
- had a "bug deflector", which kinda skews this one as well
4) 2 x Honda Accords
5) BMW Z3
6) Subaru Forrester
7) Honda CR-V
8) Tesla 3

In the 13 months I've owned my Mach-E, I've had the windshield chipped twice. First rock bounced such that it was actually a double chip. Fortunately, the shop I took it to said the 2 chips were close enough such that they charged me 1.4x to fix both. Second rock happened sometime this past week.

From what I've gathered talking to co-workers, it seems like I've been very lucky until now.

When I mentioned the second chip to my wife, she asked if there was something special that made the Mach-E's windshield more prone to chipping.

Would be nice if someone from @Ford Motor Company would chime in,. ;)
Hey there! This windshield chipping concern doesn't sound like something we want you to experience with your Mach-E. If you are still looking for assistance, I am more than happy to see what I can do to assist! Can you please send me a PM with your VIN and dealer name/location so I can look into this concern for you? To send a private message, just click on our username and select "Start Conversation". I'd be happy to see what I can do to assist!

AlpaChino

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e Premium eAWD Ext Range, Rapid Red
Country flag
I bought my MME new in May 2021. I'm at 41k miles and my third windshield replacement due to chips/cracks. I'm driving now with two chips in the lower drivers corner. I'm so tired of the process I'm leaving it.
Sponsored