Issue - "Unable to connect" when connecting to WiFi (SOLVED)

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Thanks, I had just installed a Firewalla Purple last week and couldn't figure why my Mach-E wouldn't connect anymore, your solution saved the day!
That's awesome to hear!
The more "Firewalla", "Mach-E", and "Wi-fi" keywords we add to this thread, the more people who google the issue will come across this solution:)
Sponsored

LeanneL

First Name
Leanne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GTP
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
Tried and it failed for me.... Still not working.
Ok an update. The video here offers a solution that worked for me.

When inputting the password, you have to press the globe button on the keyboard in the lower left hand corner. Choose a different language. Then press the globe button again and choose English US. Then insert your password and it should work. It did for me.
Such a strange fix, but it worked for me! Thanks!

carbonizedbrett

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach E 4X, '17 Outback, '10 Jetta, '01 Beetle
Occupation
Scientist
Country flag
I may have found a solution for routers that do not allow you to delete/disable the local domain - I'm looking at you Verizon FiOS G1100!

I came across a similar thread on an F-150 forum - which was about a variety of router and configuration - and noticed this post: https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/sync-not-connecting-to-home-wifi.1095/page-2#post-247431

So this particular post was not really about my FiOS router situation but my gut instinct was that a guest wifi service wouldn't set a local domain - at least certainly not the same one as the private wifi service.

So I turned on guest wifi on my G1100 and set a password. Sync connected on the first try. And YouTube (courtesy of my recent 3.5.3.3 update) worked fine in my garage.

RMoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, Toyota Sienna, 2022 Mach e
Country flag
I may have found a solution for routers that do not allow you to delete/disable the local domain - I'm looking at you Verizon FiOS G1100!

I came across a similar thread on an F-150 forum - which was about a variety of router and configuration - and noticed this post: https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/sync-not-connecting-to-home-wifi.1095/page-2#post-247431

So this particular post was not really about my FiOS router situation but my gut instinct was that a guest wifi service wouldn't set a local domain - at least certainly not the same one as the private wifi service.

So I turned on guest wifi on my G1100 and set a password. Sync connected on the first try. And YouTube (courtesy of my recent 3.5.3.3 update) worked fine in my garage.
Interesting! I just posted about my FIOS experience here. I was able to just connect without doing anything unusual--no guest network needed. I just selected my wifi, put in the password, and it worked! I guess some of the recent OTAs fixed something.

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Ok an update. The video here offers a solution that worked for me.

When inputting the password, you have to press the globe button on the keyboard in the lower left hand corner. Choose a different language. Then press the globe button again and choose English US. Then insert your password and it should work. It did for me.
Worked for my issue connecting with Verizon iPhone hotspot in an early 21 updated to 3.5.4.

carbonizedbrett

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Mach E 4X, '17 Outback, '10 Jetta, '01 Beetle
Occupation
Scientist
Country flag
Interesting! I just posted about my FIOS experience here. I was able to just connect without doing anything unusual--no guest network needed. I just selected my wifi, put in the password, and it worked! I guess some of the recent OTAs fixed something.
I'll try to remember to try connecting to my normal non-guest Wifi when I get home! I'll be darned if I got faked out! I thought I had re-tried the normal one just a few days prior...

Todd44

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leaf, MME Select, Red, RWD ordered 3/17/22
Occupation
Software Developer Manager
Country flag
Alrighty - Wanted to clear some things up here since some may be confused.

You can absolutely use the Mach-E's built-in hotspot feature while using wireless Apple Carplay. You can NOT however use wifi on your phone (to connect to the Mach-E's wifi hotspot, or any other Wifi network) while using wireless Carplay, this is because your phones Wifi is being used to connect directly to your Mach-E to project Carplay.

I tested this just now myself. iPhone 12 Pro connected and Wireless Carplay active:
IMG_0690.jpg

Car's wifi hotspot active:
IMG_0689.jpg

Surface connected to Mach-E's wifi hotspot, while Carplay is still active from my phone:
IMG_0692.jpg

Also wanted to show that my Mach-E has no issues connecting to my home's 5Ghz network, whose SSID contains hyphens.... (It also has no issue with my 2.4Ghz network either. All Ubiquiti Unifi equipment.)

IMG_0688.jpg
I had to disconnect wireless CarPlay, and then I was able to connect to my home Wi-Fi for the first time. Thanks, until I read this, did not even dawn on me, but I knew Apple was using Wi-Fi for wireless CarPlay, but it just did not register.