astronut325

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E Premium, Toyota Camry, Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Software analyst
Country flag
Question: Is it better to use regen or coasting coming down a mountain road?

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Premium ER Mach E, '21 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I think phrasing it as one OR the other is tripping people up. I'm not saying you're tripped up, but some on the thread seem to be.

Let's agree coasting = No throttle applied, intrinsic drag only

Regen = THE SAME INSTRINSIC DRAG plus generator drag, so it slows you even more

Going down a hill you will be using BOTH unless you flip it to neutral and use exclusively friction braking, as pointed out earlier.

I believe now that at least one member is assuming that the energy regenerated by the regen braking is MORE than the sum of the generator's own drag plus the intrinsic drag. That was leading to the conclusion that "choosing" regen instead of coasting eliminates the intrinsic drag of coasting. But if the drag the generator adds is less than the energy it recaptures, or we should all use 2 feet to drive and constantly use both pedals floored to create infinite energy.

The infinite energy car was already invented though:
Ford Mustang Mach-E It doesn't make sense 1658522512872

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Answer: yes

With the Mach E, it’s not “regen vs coasting.”

In all modes whether you hit the brake, use 1PD or are in engage or unbridled, it will use regen. And all modes when not accelerating nor decelerating will coast.

A better question would be “whisper or unbridled” or “2PD or 1PD.”

The answer is- how you drive makes the difference, NOT the mode.

But it’s easier to drive more smoothly and coast more in whisper.

Sorry- whisper

Socalsp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, Mach E
Country flag
OKay, so we're clear, when you say coasting, you ARE trying to slow down, correct?
no quite the opposite, its trying to go as far as possible and accelerating and braking as little as possible

Last edited:

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
no quite the opposite, its trying to go as far as possible and accelerating and braking as little as possible
We were so close.

Ok. During the part where you are actually coasting, you’re trying to slow down, right?

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
maintaining speed and coasting are different things
You said it's tricky in 1PD to not accelerate and not brake, which means you can't maintain your speed. I think that inability is odd.

If you can hold your foot right to not accelerate and not brake (aka maintaining speed), you should be able to lift it enough to decelerate at the same rate as coasting, effectively simulating coasting (aka slowing down without engaging regen).

Agreed?

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
I believe now that at least one member is assuming that the energy regenerated by the regen braking is MORE than the sum of the generator's own drag plus the intrinsic drag.
Entirely incorrect.

If you are coasting, you are slowing down. Friction, drag, etc.

If you need to slow down more than coasting, you should use regen.

The initial claim was that coasting is more efficient than using regen, which is a false claim.

If you are regularly coasting to a stop, using only friction to reduce your speed to 0, you have a very odd driving style, and live in an area with no traffic and long, straight, and level approaches to stop signs, with no traffic or other variable obstacles.

If you live in the real world, you will generally need to slow down more quickly than coasting. At which point you should use regen, not friction brakes. In that world, physics operates in such a way that energy can be neither created nor destroyed.

If anyone doesn't agree with this, we need to come up with a clearer definition of coasting, I guess.

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
But it’s easier to drive more smoothly and coast more in whisper.

Sorry- whisper
True, but it's not nearly as much fun!

I don't like the throttle mapping in whisper, and I think the steering is too twitchy in Engage, so I've settled on the weightier steering and tighter throttle mapping of Unbridled.

The car is still a zillion times more efficient than my old BMW 650, even with the clutch in and coasting.

Socalsp3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, Mach E
Country flag
Entirely incorrect.

If you are coasting, you are slowing down. Friction, drag, etc.

If you need to slow down more than coasting, you should use regen.

The initial claim was that coasting is more efficient than using regen, which is a false claim.

If you are regularly coasting to a stop, using only friction to reduce your speed to 0, you have a very odd driving style, and live in an area with no traffic and long, straight, and level approaches to stop signs, with no traffic or other variable obstacles.

If you live in the real world, you will generally need to slow down more quickly than coasting. At which point you should use regen, not friction brakes. In that world, physics operates in such a way that energy can be neither created nor destroyed.

If anyone doesn't agree with this, we need to come up with a clearer definition of coasting, I guess.
It's situational not either or. You want to coast when you want to go. You want to Regen when you have to slow or stop.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Coasting IS slowing.
Yup.

But it’s slowing “more slowly.” Basically driving like a grandma, which is why it’s more efficient.

The only thing I can figure out in this argument is that people are talking right past each other because they aren’t saying the same things when they define “coasting.”

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
snip

See? I think this is where the confusion lies.

No one is saying “coast plus friction brakes is more efficient.”

No one.

“Coasting” equals no brakes. Slowing down very slowly. I.E. “whisper mode.”

The only way to coast and use friction would be in neutral. And again…… no one is recommending neutral!

And then I’ll repeat myself…… you can coast and drive this way (grandma style) in ANY mode. It’s just harder.

whisper.

But again, your claim that regen and coasting are equally efficient is false. It’s as simple as the fact that regen has efficiency losses. Coasting to a stop is more efficient. But that’s because of “grandma” driving style. But I think it’s only “false” because we appear to be defining “coasting” differently.

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Country flag
See? I think this is where the confusion lies.

No one is saying “coast plus friction brakes is more efficient.”

No one.

“Coasting” equals no brakes. Slowing down very slowly. I.E. “whisper mode.”

The only way to coast and use friction would be in neutral. And again…… no one is recommending neutral!

And then I’ll repeat myself…… you can coast and drive this way (grandma style) in ANY mode. It’s just harder.

whisper.

But again, your claim that regen and coasting are equally efficient is false. It’s as simple as the fact that regen has efficiency losses. Coasting to a stop is more efficient. But that’s because of “grandma” driving style. But I think it’s only “false” because we appear to be defining “coasting” differently.
Yeah, this argument is ridiculous. If you read between the lines, everyone is in agreement. Everyone agrees that regen has efficiency losses, and everyone agrees that slowing down and speeding up requires more energy than maintaining a constant speed. Everyone. And everyone agrees that friction brakes are less efficient than regen brakes. Everyone.
Sponsored