Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
And just think, after a trip to the farmer’s market you could come home with a froot full of veggies.
Sponsored

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
How about "Froot" for FRont bOOT. (British English)

or FRIKKY for FRont Dikki (Indian English)
Oh great. My car will have a friggin frikky!

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Can we be serious please. No Frikky around when talking about a front cargo area
Pahu then. Hawaiian for Trunk. Though I'm not sure if it's a made-up Hawaiian word or referred to something else once upon a time ...

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Just as an aside, if you have the foot activated liftgate for the rear, its really easy to access.
Love it on our Escapes. Can't remember the last time I actually used the button on the tailgate. Maybe 5% of the time.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I like the FOB for access after being in the woods for a day or two. Often my phone is often dead by the time I get back. Then there's always the keypad on the door, which I've never had before so maybe I'll use that more.

Sometimes I do a one-way adventure and swap keys with a friend. I think the FOB is the best option for that.
Yep. A cell phone battery may be dead by the end of the day. While a key fob battery lasts 2-3 years.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I'm not sure about the Tesla, but I may do the same in my Mach-E. The Frunk isn't within the envelope of the car interior. So it may get really hot or dusty while driving. Have to experiment before I trust my laptop bag in there.

On the other hand, if it does get hot, I know where to put the take out food before the commute home.

It will come in super handy for things like bags of fertilizer, dirt, or small children that smell.
I think it's a manual hood lift, right? That alone may keep me from using it much. Not only is it less convenient than the power liftgate, it's also probably going to be dirty. Lifting the hood often gets my hands dirty from touching the edges that have collected dirt/mud since that part is exposed.

The inside of the frunk may be fairly-well sealed off, but the hood edges won't be.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
I think it's a manual hood lift, right? That alone may keep me from using it much. Not only is it less convenient than the power liftgate, it's also probably going to be dirty. Lifting the hood often gets my hands dirty from touching the edges that have collected dirt/mud since that part is exposed.

The inside of the frunk may be fairly-well sealed off, but the hood edges won't be.
Yeah I think there is a seal too. I'm mostly concerned about heat.

srogers

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Mach E, Premium, 2021
Country flag
Looks like the fobs will have a button to unlock the front boot. This should help make access easier.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Key fob frunk access giphy

Pulled this from the video at:

While Phone as a Key will work for entering the cabin without pulling out the phone, opening the frunk would require (1) pulling out the phone, (2) activating/powering up the phone, (3) opening/selecting the app, (4) navigating to open the frunk. This could be difficult when laden with items to put in the frunk, particularly in bad or cold weather. Rather not drop my phone on the street. Sometimes a key fob in the pocket is a simpler/safer choice than a PaaK.

Tesla owners must have felt the same way because after all these years Tesla now offers a key fob as an accessory.
Another way to open the frunk would be to use the keypad on the door pillar to open the frunk. You wouldn't need to fiddle with your phone or carry the key fob.

OP
OP
Woeo

Woeo

First Name
Woeo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fusion Energi
Country flag
Another way to open the frunk would be to use the keypad on the door pillar to open the frunk. You wouldn't need to fiddle with your phone or carry the key fob.
That would be a good alternative. Where did you see that this would be possible?

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Yeah I think there is a seal too. I'm mostly concerned about heat.
Agreed. We wouldn't want the ice in the shrimp cocktail melting before arriving at the game.

janitorjim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ford f150 2001, explorer xlt 2013
Country flag

I think the front cargo area might be cleaner than a normal hood because the well area where the engine would mounts and such is pretty well seal off from dirty coming from the wheels

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
That would be a good alternative. Where did you see that this would be possible?
UPDATE 7/31/2020: Here, I was responding to the key fob frunk access, but through poor/incorrect pronoun reference, it looks like I'm responding to pin code access. I have no idea whether pin code access to frunk will be offered.

This is shown in several of the videos that came out in November. In a few, Ford explained that the footwell hood release was the only way to open the frunk on some of the preproduction cars, but that it would also support key fob and phone access options in production.

Also, there were a couple of idiots that sat in a prototype at the LA auto show and broke off the hood release lever (in the driver footwell area). After that, we've seen no further North American videos of people being allowed in the prototypes except when Ford employees were also present.
Sponsored

Last edited: