"L" mode regen braking doesn't activate brake lights

jpiazza67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium x
Country flag
1 pedal doesn’t affect the amount of energy you get from regen.

Unless you slam the brakes, you get the same level of regen in every mode if you decelerate at the same rate.

1PD, L, any mode or hitting the brakes….. all are using regen.
I don’t think so. Whisper has the least regen, unbridled has the most.
Sponsored

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I don’t think so. Whisper has the least regen, unbridled has the most.
The important part of the post you quoted is this “if you decelerate at the same rate.”

It doesn’t matter if you hit the brake pedal, use L, unbridle or 1PD, the car will use the same amount of regeneration to slow you down at the “same rate.”

The person I was replying to mistakenly thought that different modes made your driving more efficient by adding more energy back into the battery. This is incorrect.

2PD and any mode is exactly the same efficiency as 1PD if you drive the same (same acceleration and braking).

superdave80

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select SR RWD
Country flag
It’s really no different than going back and forth between a manual and automatic transmission car.
It is different. Going from automatic to manual and back has no bearing on using the brake pedal. If I drive 1PD for several weeks and then hop into a 2PD car, I might simply take my foot off the gas expecting the car to decelerate quickly, except, oops... it doesn't.

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
It is different. Going from automatic to manual and back has no bearing on using the brake pedal. If I drive 1PD for several weeks and then hop into a 2PD car, I might simply take my foot off the gas expecting the car to decelerate quickly, except, oops... it doesn't.
Same thing happens if you drive a 3PD for a while and hop into a 2PD. You expect it to slow down when you expect it to be in 3rd, but it doesn't, because it isn't.

But at least I'm not stomping a hole into the wheel well with my left foot.

superdave80

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select SR RWD
Country flag
Same thing happens if you drive a 3PD for a while and hop into a 2PD. You expect it to slow down when you expect it to be in 3rd, but it doesn't, because it isn't.
How would you 'expect it to be in 3rd'... if you didn't shift it into 3rd?

GreaseMonkey

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium ER AWD
Country flag
Thanks for posting this. I love Technology Connections (full disclosure, Patron) and I worried about this brake light thing, until it became clear it's only a problem in 1PD. Unclear it if also occurs in any of the cruise options. That part worries me.
It’s actually the opposite. Not getting brake light applied in L is a 2pd issue. L does not function in 1pd. Also, (subjectively) 1pd has the opposite problem of too much brake light application vs how most drivers apply
Thanks for posting this. I love Technology Connections (full disclosure, Patron) and I worried about this brake light thing, until it became clear it's only a problem in 1PD. Unclear it if also occurs in any of the cruise options. That part worries me.
The Mach-E 1pd works differently than that of the Ionic 5. In our vehicles, brake light application is too frequent vs how most ICE drivers apply brakes, effectively annoying the person behind you. If anything, Ford might need to reduce 1pd brake light application sensitivity. The OP was complaining about not getting any brake light applied when decelerating using L, which is how all vehicles perform.
My intent from this post is simply to add clarity since there were many clarification comments made in the five or so pages.

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
How would you 'expect it to be in 3rd'... if you didn't shift it into 3rd?
For a given set of circumstances, while driving a stick you know what gear you'd be in.

Hypothetically, and for illustrative purposes, you could be driving along in an automatic at a speed that would warrant being in 3rd gear, if only you were in a stick. In that situation, if you forgot you were not driving a stick and took your foot off the brake you would have an expectation of a decelerative sensation consistent with your previous experience driving a stick.

Since you are in fact in an automatic in this scenario, you may be expecting the car to behave as if it were in 3rd, but it would not behave that way, primarily because, despite your expectations, it is not in 3rd.

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
Driving stick shift : : modern electric cars as getting up to change the channel : : modern television watching

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
<SNIP>
But at least I'm not stomping a hole into the wheel well with my left foot.
You must have seen me driving my mom’s Mustang. I was always looking for a clutch pedal. 🤪🐩

MG101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
a car
Country flag
As always, drive whatever mode makes you happey BUT even if one forgets what car one is in the brake is still the brake.

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
Driving stick shift : : modern electric cars as getting up to change the channel : : modern television watching
Automatic transmissions : : making your kids get up and change the channel

MarkP213

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X Premium, Infinite Blue
Country flag
Interesting. I guess our brains work differently. I can honestly say I’ve never had an issue or been confused hopping in any of my vehicles and just driving them - no matter what the configuration is. My Mach-E in 1-Pedal is my daily driver. I’m never surprised or caught off guard in my other vehicles when I take my foot off the accelerator.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
Interesting. I guess our brains work differently. I can honestly say I’ve never had an issue or been confused hopping in any of my vehicles and just driving them - no matter what the configuration is. My Mach-E in 1-Pedal is my daily driver. I’m never surprised or caught off guard in my other vehicles when I take my foot off the accelerator.
I live in Florida.

People confusing the gas with the brakes happens waaaaaay too often.

Had someone run into the front wall of my office a couple years ago because of that.

MarkP213

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 4X Premium, Infinite Blue
Country flag
I live in Florida.

People confusing the gas with the brakes happens waaaaaay too often.

Had someone run into the front wall of my office a couple years ago because of that.
Yep, sadly that happens here too. Glad it’s not me though!

Cybermonkey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e premium AWD er
Occupation
Plumber
Country flag
I use L mode when entering an automatic car wash. The car won't move with 1 pedal and auto hold on. Something I learned the hard way the first time I tried to enter one. The car just stuck in place while the wheel push thing that is supposed to move you along kept pushing hard on the tire and moving past me. The only time I take my Mach e out of 1 pedal drive is there at an automatic car wash.
Sponsored