Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Last week, I saw this video on Technology Connections. And the very next day, a driver pulled up alongside me to tell me my brake lights were out. šŸ¤”

I'm partial to using that L button on the shift dial for on-demand quasi-1PD, especially in stop&go traffic. It won't bring me to a full stop without the brake pedal, but pretty close.
But it seems the brake lights don't come in at all in this mode, unless you touch the brakes. Seems like a rear-end collision waiting to happen.
Has anyone been pulled over for having brake lights out yet?

This seems addressable by a software update. I just hope it doesn't take a fatal accident to make it happen.
Sponsored

i8iridium

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT
Occupation
U.S. Air Force
Country flag
Last week, I saw this video on Technology Connections. And the very next day, a driver pulled up alongside me to tell me my brake lights were out. šŸ¤”

I'm partial to using that L button on the shift dial for on-demand quasi-1PD, especially in stop&go traffic. It won't bring me to a full stop without the brake pedal, but pretty close.
But it seems the brake lights don't come in at all in this mode, unless you touch the brakes. Seems like a rear-end collision waiting to happen.
Has anyone been pulled over for having brake lights out yet?

This seems addressable by a software update. I just hope it doesn't take a fatal accident to make it happen.
because "L" or Low Range isn't meant as a normal braking mechanism. It's to simulate the Low Range mode on an ICE vehicle to use gearing down and engine braking. The brake lights don't activate on an ICE vehicle either.

generaltso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME Premium AWD SR Infinite Blue
Country flag
I highly doubt Ford is going to "fix" it because it's working as designed. They never intended for people to drive around in L mode all the time. And as that Technology Connections video says, there isn't any regulatory violation, so don't hold your breath.

Have you tried 1PD?

DR.J56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F-350. 2021 Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Patient: Doc it hurts when I do this.
Doc: Donā€™t do that.

Edit: May be just me but I donā€™t see how switching in and out of L on the fly is convenient. Why not just use 1pd?

Last edited:

Oldlawman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Rosie" - Rapid Red Mach E AWD EXTD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I use 1PD exclusively in my AWD Mach as this suits my driving style. I know that the brake lights are on when actually stopped as I could see them reflected in the vehicle following me. Does anyone know at what stage of regenerative braking the brake lights come on - is it immediately on application or at the last moment?

bdaughtry

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mustang Mach E Select, 2016 Corvette
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I use 1PD exclusively in my AWD Mach as this suits my driving style. I know that the brake lights are on when actually stopped as I could see them reflected in the vehicle following me. Does anyone know at what stage of regenerative braking the brake lights come on - is immediately on application or at the last moment?
As soon as you release the accelerator.

JohnFoxeSheets

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
johnfoxesheets.com
Vehicles
2022 Iced Blue Silver Mach E GT
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
While I agree with the others' responses, damn that Hyundai broke brake light shit is baaaaaad.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I drive in Unbridled mode and the brake lights only come on under certain circumstances. You need to be developing enough of a rate of deceleration in order to activate the brake lights (generally you wonā€™t without adding a little brake). Often the brake lights will come on and stay on under regenerative braking if the brakes are lightly tapped at the beginning of the event. And, of course, the brake lights always illuminate if the brake pedal is depressed. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøšŸ©

DevSecOps

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Audi SQ5 / '23 Rivian R1T / '23 M3P
Occupation
CISO
Country flag
Just use 1PD, stop trying to reinvent the wheel
His profile says he's an Engineer ... Reinventing the wheel might be his thing šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

JoeDimwit

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition
Occupation
Electrician
Country flag
Patient: Doc it hurts when I do this.
Doc: Donā€™t do that.

Edit: May be just me but I donā€™t see how switching in and out of L on the fly is convenient. Why not just use 1pd?
I use whisper mode most of the time for the ability to ā€œcoastā€. However, this does lead to times where I do need to slow somewhat quicker than just lifting my foot off the accelerator allows for. In those cases, I can toggle the ā€œLā€ button and sloe significantly faster without actually braking hard.

ctenidae

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMG GT; Taycan, Q7, Sienna Hybrid
Occupation
Solver of problems
Country flag
Not to be pedantic, but it's probably best addressed by an operational change to utilize the systems as they are intended. Use 1PD if you want 1PD. Use "L" if you're used to the feel of a low-gear transmission in an ICE vehicle and need those effects in slippery or questionable conditions.

I'm biased by personal experience, but adding in the additional decision making, physical action, and resetting required to simply avoid adapting to a driving mode that easily provides the effects you're looking for just seems excessive, distracting, and prone to error.

JJR

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-e Premium
Occupation
Artist
Country flag
Looks like I'm wrong again, but I thought that the deceleration sensor would activate the brake lights if in 1PD or not.
If not, why not?
Sponsored