Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mustang Mach E GT AWD ER - Grabber Blue
Country flag
Someone put this thread out of its misery if it’s just going to be a back and forth about searching/posting.
I would delete it, but the info in the beginning is useful.
Sponsored

GuliblGuy

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadow Black 2021 Premium 4X Mach E
Country flag
Thanks! My husband has his own Ford Pass account for his Fusion and I was wondering he could add my MME to his account too to have PAAK access from his phone. I wasn’t sure if you could add the same car to 2 different accounts and have 2 different PAAKs.
Yes other users of your car set up their own Ford Pass accounts, add the VIN, and then you as the primary owner of the car will get a message to approve them.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I will 100% say, reading threads from over a year ago is more annoying than a new thread popping up.

Sometimes I click on a thread that says latest activity, I open and find it started in 2019 or 2020, then I just groan to myself and close the thread without reading it. Just doesn't make sense to me.
I'm on the other end of the spectrum from you.

I look at a resurrected thread as the sign of someone bothering to do their homework rather than to assume they are the first person to ever notice their GOM is showing less than the 270 miles Ford promised and start the 53rd thread on the topic. Especially when it comes to new BEV drivers, there's a lot to learn. A bit of research can go a long way.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
I'm on the other end of the spectrum from you.

I look at a resurrected thread as the sign of someone bothering to do their homework rather than to assume they are the first person to ever notice their GOM is showing less than the 270 miles Ford promised and start the 53rd thread on the topic. Especially when it comes to new BEV drivers, there's a lot to learn. A bit of research can go a long way.
This!

There is likely a lot of relevant information in that long running old thread that doesn't need to be rehashed by the newby (especially since, invariably, someone will post a link in the new thread to the old long running thread with all the relevant info in it thus causing the old thread to gain more posts and the new thread to slink off and disappear).

dml105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Shadowfax, the Star White Tricoated Metallic Pony
Country flag
This!

There is likely a lot of relevant information in that long running old thread that doesn't need to be rehashed by the newby (especially since, invariably, someone will post a link in the new thread to the old long running thread with all the relevant info in it thus causing the old thread to gain more posts and the new thread to slink off and disappear).
And then you’re likely wading through pages of bad or obsolete information before you get to the good. There are exceptionally few threads from 2019 or even 2020 before anyone got their Mach-e’s that are still good info now. This site now has more bad information than good simply due to its age, and its spanning the release date. Don’t make people go back to pre-release threads.

New users should search, true. Old users should guide. Also true.

And now this thread is officially about internet etiquette, for which there will never be consensus.

Kamuelaflyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Premium Infinite Blue. ER AWD. 2020 Raptor
Country flag
Thanks! My husband has his own Ford Pass account for his Fusion and I was wondering he could add my MME to his account too to have PAAK access from his phone. I wasn’t sure if you could add the same car to 2 different accounts and have 2 different PAAKs.
There's an add vehicle "button" in Ford Pass. I have both our MME and our F150 on mine. My wife has just the F150.

At the top of the app above the car picture is the car name (or the default if you don't name) it. Click on the name and there's an add vehicle area you can tap.

If the MME is already registered to you in FordPass, he can still add the car in, you'll just have to authorize it.

OP
OP
Gullwingdmc

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

sockmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E4x
Occupation
SW Engineer
Country flag
Simple enough. Yep - you can have the same car on multiple accounts. It's designed to work that way, so both of you can get into the car using your own separate phones.
In fact, it differentiates drivers this way, to load profiles independently, etc.

Tron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach-E premium AWD STD - Infinite Blue
Country flag
Revisiting topics covered previously is valuable. New users provide new perspectives, and things change often enough to revisit and revalidate them in many cases.

Sure, if the topic was covered by 2 other threads in the past week, that is different. But seriously, if you don't want to participate in a new discussion that you feel has already been hashed, just move on. No need to say anything and it's not hurting anything to let people discuss.

Back to the topic....is "always be charging" better then charge to 90, and then wait until 20 to charge again if you do alot of short trips and this will last you a week? I think it doesn't matter, because seven 10% charges has the same effect as one 70% charge on battery fatigue.

I'm curious to the current thoughts on the subject.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Revisiting topics covered previously is valuable. New users provide new perspectives, and things change often enough to revisit and revalidate them in many cases.

Sure, if the topic was covered by 2 other threads in the past week, that is different. But seriously, if you don't want to participate in a new discussion that you feel has already been hashed, just move on. No need to say anything and it's not hurting anything to let people discuss.

Back to the topic....is "always be charging" better then charge to 90, and then wait until 20 to charge again if you do alot of short trips and this will last you a week? I think it doesn't matter, because seven 10% charges has the same effect as one 70% charge on battery fatigue.

I'm curious to the current thoughts on the subject.
We know Ford built a big buffer into the battery (ER and SR both). Research has shown that the two worst and two best things for charging are:
Bad
  • Discharge completely
  • Leave car sitting at 100%
Good
  • Keep battery around 1/2 full
  • charge slowly (not DCFC)
Of course, the good news is battery technology has improved from even those recent studies. I am generally doing as you described
  • charge at home to 90% (unless a full charge is needed the next day)
  • discharge to somewhere below 50% (unless a big drive is coming)
This means Marlin will sit around half full most of the time, probably averaging more like 60% or so.

OP
OP
Gullwingdmc

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
We know Ford built a big buffer into the battery (ER and SR both). Research has shown that the two worst and two best things for charging are:
Bad
  • Discharge completely
  • Leave car sitting at 100%
Good
  • Keep battery around 1/2 full
  • charge slowly (not DCFC)
Of course, the good news is battery technology has improved from even those recent studies. I am generally doing as you described
  • charge at home to 90% (unless a full charge is needed the next day)
  • discharge to somewhere below 50% (unless a big drive is coming)
This means Marlin will sit around half full most of the time, probably averaging more like 60% or so.
I’d be curious to see what Ford is doing with that buffer. Is it empty or full? If it’s empty then you are never really charging your battery to 100% full, just 100% of what’s available to you. That would make the most sense to me if the goal of the buffer is to extend battery life.

Personally my plan is to charge every other day, unless I have something out of the ordinary planned. This is also because we have a single car garage and my husband is going to let me park in there every night lol.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
I’d be curious to see what Ford is doing with that buffer. Is it empty or full? If it’s empty then you are never really charging your battery to 100% full, just 100% of what’s available to you. That would make the most sense to me if the goal of the buffer is to extend battery life.

Personally my plan is to charge every other day, unless I have something out of the ordinary planned. This is also because we have a single car garage and my husband is going to let me park in there every night lol.
If you charge every other night to 90% you should be fine.

OP
OP
Gullwingdmc

Gullwingdmc

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you charge every other night to 90% you should be fine.
But why 90? It’s already holding back ~10% of the battery, why would I have it hold back even more?
Sponsored