Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE FE Rapid Red
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I wish we would get more reporting on the last marginal production car cost. It is a lot harder to get out of reports though because for what they report it is just losses divided by production.
Sponsored

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
It’s a catchy title, but not that useful.

In my opinion, the way to look at this is to only consider variable cost of making a vehicle, and add the overhead for a typical car company or Lucid’s at scale. Lumping massive overhead that’s meant to support several 100 times the scale they operate at today is not a serious way to assess the financial viability of a company.
I know that it's not a fair way to look at the company's financial situation necessarily. It was more of a response to all of the folks on here who seem to get spun up because Ford lost $30,000+ per vehicle and their doomsaying.
I really HATE these titles.

I just put in a pool this summer, finished it up just before the end of swimming season.

I guess it costs me $30k every time I go swimming
+100. By the same logic IBM lost $10,000/PC the first year and ARPANET (internet) cost $50,000 per user.

It's basically clickbait, but the average joe just sees the headline and it confirms the bias that EV's are too expensive.

timbop

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Solar powered 2021 MME ER RWD & 2022 Corsair PHEV
Occupation
Software Engineer
Country flag
I wish we would get more reporting on the last marginal production car cost. It is a lot harder to get out of reports though because for what they report it is just losses divided by production.
It's not reporting, it's getting clicks

carbonizedbrett

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2017 Outback, 2010 Jetta
Occupation
Scientist
Country flag
Seems like a useful, if overly concise, metric where they are on the inception to sustainable endeavor timeline.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
I live it when reporters learn about economies of scale for the first time.
Yes it’s misleading.

However……..economies of scale only work out for a company when your sales numbers continue to rise.

They put you out of business when they don’t.

Things aren’t looking great at the moment for Lucid.

It’s kinda funny how when a startup loses money, everyone is quick to point out the extremely rare FEW that also lost money and eventually became large successes (Amazon, IBM, Tesla etc).

No one seems to point out the thousands of competitors who went out of business during the same time period.

johnmark

First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Yes it’s misleading.

However……..economies of scale only work out for a company when your sales numbers continue to rise.

They put you out of business when they don’t.

Things aren’t looking great at the moment for Lucid.

It’s kinda funny how when a startup loses money, everyone is quick to point out the extremely rare FEW that also lost money and eventually became large successes (Amazon, IBM, Tesla etc).

No one seems to point out the thousands of competitors who went out of business during the same time period.
Or in Tesla's case that they were subsidized for years by selling carbon credits.
Sponsored