Mach-e 99 kwh Battery: How did they do it?

mark360

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 AWD(OLD), Ford Raptor
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
There's a big difference in efficiency between the two: EPA 46 kWh/100 miles e-tron, 35 kWh Model X. I-pace is 44, Taycan 49. If Mach E hits Ford's number, it will match Model X, leaving it far behind Model Y.
Those EPA numbers are not what you should look at. You need to look at how many miles per KW can the vehicle go to usable battery. The E tron goes 2.45 miles per KW. The Model X goes 3.01.

22% difference. If we assume the Mach E has the same 22% difference, we're looking at 242 miles for LR RWD. Laughably, that won't be the real number. The Mach E is promising 373 miles WLTP, which is extremely high and much better than the Model X. You have to also remember that performance motors on the E-Tron are not the same as what is going on the Mach E. The Mach E will see more efficient motors to help with range vs power.

I am positive the Mach E will sit in between the X and Model Y for EPA numbers. I even forecast it will be on the higher end. I think we will be greatly surprised by the range numbers.
Sponsored

FredT

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Passat Wagon
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Those EPA numbers are not what you should look at. You need to look at how many miles per KW can the vehicle go to usable battery. The E tron goes 2.45 miles per KW. The Model X goes 3.01.

22% difference. If we assume the Mach E has the same 22% difference, we're looking at 242 miles for LR RWD. Laughably, that won't be the real number. The Mach E is promising 373 miles WLTP, which is extremely high and much better than the Model X.

I am positive the Mach E will sit in between the X and Model Y for EPA numbers. I even forecast it will be on the higher end. I think we will be greatly surprised by the range numbers.
As I said before, I hope you're right.

mark360

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag

Badgeringweasel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Camry Hybrid
Country flag
I wonder when the EPA numbers will come out? Will Ford provide vehicles for testing before we order in the spring or maybe it'll get tested around the same time all the demos are going to dealers for test drives. Anyone know how early this normally happens in the production cycle?

SyNRG

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Explorer Sport & 2021 MME Select (SR) RWD
Occupation
Healthcare Data Analysis
Country flag
I wonder when the EPA numbers will come out?
Based on the 6 months it took to release the EPA numbers for the Aviator PHEV, I'm guessing Mach-E numbers should be out May/June.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Yes, but what does that have to do with how efficient it was?
Owners have reported up to 5.5 miles per kW range. Can Tesla owners post 5+ miles per kW?

mark360

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
Owners have reported up to 5.5 miles per kW range. Can Tesla owners post 5+ miles per kW?
No, in my car it is more like 4 miles per kw. I have an AWD model 3. I have never seen rated range and my average is about 10% less than EPA 310. I see more like 280 miles.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Those EPA numbers are not what you should look at. You need to look at how many miles per KW can the vehicle go to usable battery.
Yes, miles/kWh are what really matters. Problem is until the Mach-e hits the roads, we're stuck with using the published range numbers to back-calculate the miles/kWh.

EPA range is usually around 20% lower than WLTP. (22% on the i-Pace, 18% on the eTron, for example). And 20% is pretty much the difference between the "expected" 370 and 300 for the Mach-e ER RWD. In fact it's so inline with that that I wonder if all they did was extrapolate from the norms?

Like everyone else, I'll be anxiously awaiting those real-world miles/kWh readings that people start reporting in various situations. (Of course, even those will vary greatly based on driving conditions.)

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Yes, we now know that the usable capacity of the ER battery is 88kWh. 270-300 miles range would be 3-3.5 m/kWh
Sponsored