Mach-E as ski vehicle? Range, ski / snowboard rack?

atacama

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Specialized Diverge gravel bike
Country flag
Hey everyone --

I've been considering an EV for a while, and now that my 10 year old SUV is almost ready to bite the dust, it's suddenly time to get moving.

Main question is: while it appears to be technically feasible to get a Thule roof rack (see this forum) and endure the range loss of driving in winter, is it a good idea to fully commit to a MME as a ski vehicle? Anyone on the forum do this?

I'm in Boston metro and would need the car for northern New England only. Family of 4.

Notably, I am very tall, 6'7", so would need the glass roof (Premium, CA Rt 1 but not Select or GT; 1st Ed unknown to me, likely not relevant).

I had thought MME was dead to me a few months ago when I thought the only solution was a suction cup rack, which I refuse to do in snow and ice. So hooray, Thule.

I might get in the used market for one -- test driving this afternoon! -- and I might be able to forestall the death of my current SUV long enough (or tide over with a temp vehichle) to get a new one shipped before next ski season.
Sponsored

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
I love my MMEs but I wouldn’t recommend it for your use case. Winter range is down quite a bit. Range will be down from having 4 people. Range will be down from changing the aerodynamic with skis in a roof rack. Plus at 6’7” you will probably feel cramped on a longer drive. We’ve got tall folks here that are doing OK but it might just be one more annoyance.
But do your test drive and make your own determination on comfort. But if your going 4 people and a roof rack in winter, plus driving uphill (because that’s where the ski mountains are), I wouldn’t count on but about 50% of rated range.

RickMachE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E Premium 4X, 2022 Lightning Lariat
Country flag
If you check the ElectrifyAmerica map, you will see a dearth of chargers in upper New England. Assuming you had range to make it, you'd have to find a hotel with a charger and charge up every night.

I put new tires and a new battery on my F-150 for possible skiing this winter.

I wouldn't do this.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
Hey everyone --

I've been considering an EV for a while, and now that my 10 year old SUV is almost ready to bite the dust, it's suddenly time to get moving.

Main question is: while it appears to be technically feasible to get a Thule roof rack (see this forum) and endure the range loss of driving in winter, is it a good idea to fully commit to a MME as a ski vehicle? Anyone on the forum do this?

I'm in Boston metro and would need the car for northern New England only. Family of 4.

Notably, I am very tall, 6'7", so would need the glass roof (Premium, CA Rt 1 but not Select or GT; 1st Ed unknown to me, likely not relevant).

I had thought MME was dead to me a few months ago when I thought the only solution was a suction cup rack, which I refuse to do in snow and ice. So hooray, Thule.

I might get in the used market for one -- test driving this afternoon! -- and I might be able to forestall the death of my current SUV long enough (or tide over with a temp vehichle) to get a new one shipped before next ski season.
Are you planning day trips or overnight? Take a look at Plugshare and see if there are sufficient chargers near or enroute to/from your favorite slopes.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Reading the subject I thought they were going to put skis on the Mach-E and take it downhill!

Maybe you could put some of these on your Mach-E? (Oh I'm sure range would drop to like 25% but it'd be cool).

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E as ski vehicle? Range, ski / snowboard rack? 1639661224206

bobh

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang MachE
Occupation
retired
Country flag
Reading the subject I thought they were going to put skis on the Mach-E and take it downhill!

Maybe you could put some of these on your Mach-E? (Oh I'm sure range would drop to like 25% but it'd be cool).

1639661224206.png

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E as ski vehicle? Range, ski / snowboard rack? 1639661224206
I do not know where you ski. I also live in the Boston area and I have found high speed chargers on the Maine Turnpike in Kennebunk and West Gardiner. These will get you to any ski area in Maine. I do not know about New Hampshire, but if you are going to Vermont there are high speed chargers just off route 89 in West Lebanon. Good luck.

OP
OP
atacama

atacama

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Got a 24 hour test drive (edit: not rental), and just spotted the ponies on the pavement when I walked by, ha!

OK so I love the drive. Prob my fave over the Y and the ID.4, but they were all great. The MME is super comfortable even at my height. The kids think the back seat is also fantastic.

Trunk space is a little tighter than my old SUV, but hey, throw in that frunk and I'm good.

Roof rack would probably be a cargo box -- fairly aerdynamic but sure a bit hit anyway.

So if Murse is right about 50%, that leaves about 150. I've got a number of resorts within 130 so maybe a nailbiting nonstop to chargers at the resorts -- for example, next trip is Mount Snow, and PlugShare does show chargers there (and not just for Teslas). And for farther spots like Jay Peak, the fam is going to need a stop for a meal anyway, say at The Common Man in Plymouth, charger right there.

Jamie you're one step short of an electric groomer solution for the slopes. They'd eat that up for their sustainability marketing, so that is your next billion.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Got a 24 hour test drive (edit: not rental), and just spotted the ponies on the pavement when I walked by, ha!

OK so I love the drive. Prob my fave over the Y and the ID.4, but they were all great. The MME is super comfortable even at my height. The kids think the back seat is also fantastic.

Trunk space is a little tighter than my old SUV, but hey, throw in that frunk and I'm good.

Roof rack would probably be a cargo box -- fairly aerdynamic but sure a bit hit anyway.

So if Murse is right about 50%, that leaves about 150. I've got a number of resorts within 130 so maybe a nailbiting nonstop to chargers at the resorts -- for example, next trip is Mount Snow, and PlugShare does show chargers there (and not just for Teslas). And for farther spots like Jay Peak, the fam is going to need a stop for a meal anyway, say at The Common Man in Plymouth, charger right there.

Jamie you're one step short of an electric groomer solution for the slopes. They'd eat that up for their sustainability marketing, so that is your next billion.
That's cutting it a bit too close, IMO. EV batteries also degrade over time, so you are unlikely to get every last mile out of it in year 7 as you are in year 1, assuming you keep the vehicle for around a decade again.

I think you should factor in a charging spot on the way up. If this is impossible because the charging spot doesn't exist, or something you really don't want to do, an EV might not be the best option.

On the other hand, I'm firmly in the 'Don't Let the Tail Wag the Dog' camp when it comes to road trips. If this is an occasional thing for you, like a few times per year, and the vast majority of time, this will be your car around town, don't let it drive your purchase decision. If you really like the Mach-E and don't want a different EV and don't want to go ICE, I would buy the Mach-E and get an ICE rental for the ski trips.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag

Beat me to this idea ?

Murse-In-Airy

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E ER AWD
Occupation
Nurse
Country flag
If you don’t mind stopping to charge on the way to the bill, and/or on the way back, then it’s plausible. But the skiers I know just want to get there and get the day on the mountain started. Afterward, they’re tired and want to get home. But if you’re more laid back, willing to hang out and charge, then maybe it is doable for you.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
If you don’t mind stopping to charge on the way to the bill, and/or on the way back, then it’s plausible. But the skiers I know just want to get there and get the day on the mountain started. Afterward, they’re tired and want to get home. But if you’re more laid back, willing to hang out and charge, then maybe it is doable for you.
Best to find a charger with food or adult beverages.

OP
OP
atacama

atacama

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So not doing day trips. Typical is Fri eve drive up to lodging and stay a week.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
So not doing day trips. Typical is Fri eve drive up to lodging and stay a week.
Have you checked plugshare to see if your usual lodging (or an alternative) offers L2 charging?

OP
OP
atacama

atacama

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The advice was much appreciated. I wasn’t much bothered by the general concept of needing to charge on the way up to the resort, but the lack of non-Tesla DCFC in NH in particular pushed me over the edge. And I didn’t want to wait for more to be built nor for Elon to let the unwashed masses into the Supercharger promised land. So we went with a Pacifica PHEV.

Now we can get an EV later in ‘22 as our daily commuter. I’d like to think the EV space won’t be quite so overheated with MSRP surcharges but I will probably be wrong on that.
Sponsored