Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
People have been posting about 100" of snow, but this week in Truckee CA on Donner summit we blew by 400" season to date, with a likely total of 100" this week. I have a Premium AWD purchased in Apr 2021, so this is only my second winter. First winter was below average snowfall and the Mach-e did OK in snow, but not as good as my Honda CRV. I was warned by neighbors that the tires that the Honda came with were no good in snow so I immediately replaced them with Goodyear Weather Assurance tires. These are not available for the Mach-e as they won't handle the weight. Michelin X-climate tires are XL rated in 245/50/R19 and have the mountain symbol, better than all season.. Tire rack had a great review of Michelin's 4 tires that can be used on the Mach-e. X-Ice tires were not a option for me as they won't handle the high temperatures in the Sacramento area only 80 miles away. Given how skittish the car was at 25K miles on the OEM tires we decided to switch even though they were less than half used up. Performance in all conditions significantly improved. The car now handles like I would expect a Mustang to handle and is surefooted in all conditions. I suspect Alpin Sports would even handle better except in snow. Is there a downside to these tires? Yes, range is impacted, I can't really quantify it yet. The first highway trip was in high winds and blowing snow, but I would say we used at least 15% more Kwhr than normal. Around town it is maybe 5% less efficient. I will trade the efficiency for handling anytime. I still have the OE Michelin Primacys, and may put them back on especially for a long road trips. You can see some of the conditions we drive in.

IMG-2876.GIF

IMG-2891.JPG

wutang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E GT, 2020 BMW X3 M40i (retired)
Country flag
Thanks for your report Bruce. Truly a mind-blowing snowfall year, up to 677" now! Hope the Michelins have brought you safely to some great skiing this season, had them on my last vehicle and agree that they're an amazing all-weather tire for those of us who can't run dedicated winters.

Sounds like you mounted the 245s on the OEM 7" width Premium rims? I'm curious to see any pictures of the fitment if you have them.

Other EV drivers seem to report 5-10% range loss with these tires, so your 15% sounds right considering the winter conditions on top of the wider tire from stock. Have you seen efficiency improve at all as the tires have worn in?

OP
OP

bruceski88

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
Thanks for your report Bruce. Truly a mind-blowing snowfall year, up to 677" now! Hope the Michelins have brought you safely to some great skiing this season, had them on my last vehicle and agree that they're an amazing all-weather tire for those of us who can't run dedicated winters.

Sounds like you mounted the 245s on the OEM 7" width Premium rims? I'm curious to see any pictures of the fitment if you have them.

Other EV drivers seem to report 5-10% range loss with these tires, so your 15% sounds right considering the winter conditions on top of the wider tire from stock. Have you seen efficiency improve at all as the tires have worn in?
Here is a picture of the tire. I did see a spec somewhere that 7” rims are the minimum, but OK.

B8FA7B13-BC7D-4DC5-926E-A32EEF78F5EC.jpeg

wutang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach-E GT, 2020 BMW X3 M40i (retired)
Country flag
Here is a picture of the tire. I did see a spec somewhere that 7” rims are the minimum, but OK.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E AWD snow performance really improves with Michelin X Climate B8FA7B13-BC7D-4DC5-926E-A32EEF78F5EC
Thanks! You're right, 7" is the minimum width spec, but it does look OK. It seems you get a bit more rim protection at least.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E AWD snow performance really improves with Michelin X Climate 1679540342908

tuminatr

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
Make sure you lower the tire pressure to 36psi because those have the higher 105 load rating
Sponsored