Mach-E crash test results - when does this become public knowledge?

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) and National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) results become public knowledge for the Mach E when?
Sponsored

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
When they have cars to crash. Given that there still are only a few hand-built prototypes I wouldn't expect crash test results until much much later.

Especially given that IIHS purchases their cars from dealers--so you'll be waiting a long time for that.

Ford probably submits a few of the early build vehicles to NHTSA for their testing which would mean late summer at the earliest.

zhackwyatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 InfBlu Prem MMEx Past: '13 C-Max '98 Explorer
Country flag
When they have cars to crash. Given that there still are only a few hand-built prototypes I wouldn't expect crash test results until much much later.

Especially given that IIHS purchases their cars from dealers--so you'll be waiting a long time for that.

Ford probably submits a few of the early build vehicles to NHTSA for their testing which would mean late summer at the earliest.
When I was following the C-Max closely, I seem to remember a person who had their car taken by the government on the way to the dealer. I think they do that so the manufactures can't play games with the cars if they knew it was for crash testing.

Res Nullius

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
e-Golf, X3
Country flag
It's going to take some time. And here's why it often seems like there's a delay in crash ratings for new vehicles coming to market.

NCAP (NHTSA) conducts its safety tests on a selection of the most popular and interesting models. In most cases, these are new cars that just entered the market, but they can also test cars that are already on sale. The cars are chosen by the NCAP committee.

An OEM must nominate and pay for their vehicle to be tested by IIHS and the testing process takes several months.

No vehicle safety ratings are published when "vehicles are released" because either the vehicle has not been or is in the process of being nominated, or testing has not been completed. That's why there seems to be a lag in rating releases. It's possible that Ford will have the Mach-E rated for safety by IIHS or NCAP, but the vehicle has to be in production and on the market in order to have enough vehicles available to test (IIHS testing uses a minimum of 3 vehicles for the various crash tests, in addition to testing various trims with varying available safety features and headlights.) So, it will most likely be some time before it's possible for Ford to even nominate the Mach-E to IIHS or to be considered for testing by NHSTA

Hope this helps!

SSman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X3
Country flag
So it sounds like they can't even rate cars for safety if they are still in the pre-production phase I assume because changes are and can still be made. If that's the case I would think we won't see it rated until end of the year earliest?

AceSpades

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Mustang GT
Country flag
I would expect it to not be any worse than the traditional Mustang (if it did it would be a huge embarrassment for a crossover vs sports car) which the NHTSA gives five stars overall and five stars in every test.

Lukas

Administrator
First Name
Lukas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstek
Occupation
Actuary
Country flag
Teslas have crashed tested extremely well. Does it have anything at all to do with the skateboard platforms that these EVs are built on. Does the weight/mass of the battery packed chassis help absorb impact forces?

Raymondjram

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid LE sedan
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Country flag
It is easy to understand that crash testing is done on production cars, so a few of the first units produced by September or later will be selected for those tests. I am one of the many who wait until the first results are published, and for the first auto magazine reviews are published to decide if I will buy a brand new model. But due to my present finantial situation, I would be buying my Mach-E probably by late 2022 or early 2023.