TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Agree. I'm sticking with F because nothing GM makes excites me, and it is typically harder to get a bigger company like GM to move as quick as a smaller company like Ford.

My F stock is up 30% and I think once the Mach E proves itself we are looking at a stable 12-15 price target. If Tesla can be worth 150x book value why can't ford be worth 2x book value?
My guess is that Ford stock price will rise more "normally" over in the upcoming years, but Tesla will probably take an 80% hit in the next few years as the shocking reality sinks in that legacy automakers can actually make BEVs that are as good and sometimes better than Tesla.

Tesla will probably continue to retain some of that 'golden child' inflation even after then though.
Sponsored

OP
OP
mark360

mark360

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 AWD(OLD), Ford Raptor
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
My guess is that Ford stock price will rise more "normally" over in the upcoming years, but Tesla will probably take an 80% hit in the next few years as the shocking reality sinks in that legacy automakers can actually make BEVs that are as good and sometimes better than Tesla.

Tesla will probably continue to retain some of that 'golden child' inflation even after then though.
Yeah, I'm constantly amazed at how the market has weird anomalies such as Tesla that question every investors business sense.

I foresee the exact same thing occurring, reality will set in at some point. If I would have trusted my gut and bought two years ago I would have over tripled my money. However, my brain told me no stick to the paper knowledge and I bought F instead of TSLA.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
Yeah, I'm constantly amazed at how the market has weird anomalies such as Tesla that question every investors business sense.
at least two things to remember about Tesla's stock:
  1. Some people (like me, tbh) see this as a bubble like BTC that, if properly managed as an investor, can let us take money out of the pockets of others. There's a sucker born every minute and so on.
  2. The "Robinhood" effect - where you have investors with money but no knowledge of fundamentals and want to invest that money - is real.
A lot of the "old school" stock market guidance and thinking just doesn't apply to Tesla. ?‍♂

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag
I have been monitoring this forum for a relatively short time, and I have learned at least one thing.

Introducing a new BEV is an incredibly complicated, technically difficult, and very expensive exercise. Ford has thousands of experienced engineers, infrastructure, and 80 +/- years of actual vehicle production under its belt.

I would be very careful betting on all these new BEV startups. Tesla happened to be first to the party.

But remember this, Tesla still does not make a profit from BEV sales as a stand-alone line item. Without Carbon Credits, Tesla would have gone belly up long ago.

But you have to credit Musk for being the first guy to realize that between tax credits for his customers, and Carbon Credits for the company, he could run up his stock to ridiculous valuations.

Now his customer tax credits are gone, viable competition has emerged (Mach E) and others, and income from the likes of Ford via Carbon Credits will go down.

And then the real world intrudes, as Tesla recalls increase as the vehicles age.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...8-000-vehicles-for-touchscreen-failures.2785/

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
I have been monitoring this forum for a relatively short time, and I have learned at least one thing.

Introducing a new BEV is an incredibly complicated, technically difficult, and very expensive exercise. Ford has thousands of experienced engineers, infrastructure, and 80 +/- years of actual vehicle production under its belt.

I would be very careful betting on all these new BEV startups. Tesla happened to be first to the party.

But remember this, Tesla still does not make a profit from BEV sales as a stand-alone line item. Without Carbon Credits, Tesla would have gone belly up long ago.

But you have to credit Musk for being the first guy to realize that between tax credits for his customers, and Carbon Credits for the company, he could run up his stock to ridiculous valuations.

Now his customer tax credits are gone, viable competition has emerged (Mach E) and others, and income from the likes of Ford via Carbon Credits will go down.

And then the real world intrudes, as Tesla recalls increase as the vehicles age.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...8-000-vehicles-for-touchscreen-failures.2785/
This spring/summer gets interesting. Many choices for the SUV/CUV market in the showrooms. The legacy makers design platforms that can make half a dozen or more models from it. Based on this, the number of models coming out will accelerate. Both GM and Hyundai expect 20+ models in the next few years, I'm not sure of Ford's other plans, but the trucks and vans will be significant.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
This thread from the Tesla Motor Club: NHTSA asks Tesla to recall 158,000 vehicles for touchscreen failures | Tesla Motors Club indicates a 8GB memory chip is going to be replaced by a 64GB memory chip. An owner states:
We owe the NHTSA a drink! At least 10 times between speaking with Tesla and/or taking it in for service. They keep telling us they fixed the issue or we need to wait because there a software fix coming. It’s been over a year. We can’t access anything from the touchscreen: no back-up camera, AC, heat, radio, etc. When it does work, it’s a 30 second delay before the screen changes.

Forget the fact that we paid $130k for our X P100D, try having to drive your infant around in a car where the A/C and Heat are uncontrollable or the lack of safety because your back-up camera doesn’t work.

We can’t believe we turned on so many people onto Tesla. We were there for Tesla, but Tesla hasn’t been there for us.

Reactions: EVS

horsiedad

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT PE, Mach-E Premium
Country flag

I foresee the exact same thing occurring, reality will set in at some point. If I would have trusted my gut and bought two years ago I would have over tripled my money. However, my brain told me no stick to the paper knowledge and I bought F instead of TSLA.
Actually, I think that if you have bought Telsa stock three years ago, your investment would have probably gone up twenty-fold. I bought a few shares a month ago and they've already tripled.

EVS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
spark EV.
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach E effect on Ford stock price? F_quote_Jan20.JPG

It's happening! The analysts are finally waking up to the upside from many new models from Ford, including Mache. The stock went up 8% today after a long time, IIRC.
https://www.thestreet.com/investing/ford-shares-higher-as-deutsche-adds-stock-to-short-term-buy-list
"We see room for upside 2021 guidance," Rosner said in a note.

Ford also could benefit from its upcoming product cycle and savings from restructuring in South America, where it shut down its business in Brazil.

This year "should indeed see a material acceleration of electric vehicle roll-outs, and provide much clarity on winners and losers from electrification," wrote Rosner.

He added that electrification, autonomy and connectivity will remain the most powerful investment trends in the auto sector.
BTW, We should have a separate section for investors to keep the stock discussion away from Mache customers.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag

All Hat No Cattle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Genesis GV-80 , 2017 Edge Titanium
Country flag
An owner states:
We owe the NHTSA a drink! At least 10 times between speaking with Tesla and/or taking it in for service. They keep telling us they fixed the issue or we need to wait because there a software fix coming. It’s been over a year. We can’t access anything from the touchscreen: no back-up camera, AC, heat, radio, etc. When it does work, it’s a 30 second delay before the screen changes.

Forget the fact that we paid $130k for our X P100D, try having to drive your infant around in a car where the A/C and Heat are uncontrollable or the lack of safety because your back-up camera doesn’t work.
That is unconscionable! I might excuse a squeak here, or an electronic stutter there, but when your climate control crashes, and is not repairable without replacement of a major component, that is crazy incompetent. And on a $130,000 vehicle, well...

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach E effect on Ford stock price? 1611192155493

EVS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
spark EV.
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
That is unconscionable! I might excuse a squeak here, or an electronic stutter there, but when your climate control crashes, and is not repairable without replacement of a major component, that is crazy incompetent. And on a $130,000 vehicle, well...

1611192155493.png
It's not incompetence. I am quite sure it is a directive from the top to avoid warranty repairs as a way to juice the financial numbers and boost the stock price. So Elon can get billions more in bonuses.

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach E effect on Ford stock price? 1611192155493
is that picture your mind being blown or the infotainment blowing up? ?

malba2366

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C2S
Country flag
I am holding Ford, GM and VW, and if Tesla stock will come down to earth I will buy that too. I am hoping to see Ford, GM and Tesla succeed and own the auto market over the next 10 years - may not be a popular opinion on here, but having 3 automakers that lead the world is good for our country.

Mach Daddy

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT, Land Rover Discovery, F-150 Lightnin
Country flag
Wow. Glad I bought a bunch in the 4s!
Doh! I bought at high 5s and low 6s. I wonder whether Sandy Munro is a stockholder? I guess we'll have to wait for the teardown ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
mark360

mark360

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 AWD(OLD), Ford Raptor
Occupation
Manufacturing
Country flag
Wow It is getting to $12 much faster than I anticipated. I forsee $20+ if this year turns out to be good to Ford. Will be hard not to sell. Car companies will soon be valued as technology companies.
Sponsored