David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Sport Diesel. Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Screenwriter
Country flag
Magneride was used on GM cars formally since about 2002, but they were testing it on Corvettes going back to 1993. The biggest "issue" was drivers expecting it to ride "like a sports car". So GM, against their better tech, incorporated a "sport" setting into the Corvette (and perhaps others). Essentially the sports setting defeated the purpose of Magneride: to supply a very smooth, straight road ride that could immediately "jump" into an aggressive posture as the ROAD changed, not as the driver saw fit.

For instance, there's a road near me where -- if you were cooking -- when you topped a rise. your rear suspension could easily lift off the road (saw at least two cars on their roofs at this spot). With my C6 in "normal" mode, you could not get your rear to lift -- in "sport" mode, you could. I spoke with a GM tech who was bummed they had to make this change, but Corvette owners want noise and a "manly" suspension feel. And... they totally rejected Magneride, until Ferrari started using it. Then, it was suddenly manly.

Davedough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE , Explorer ST
Occupation
Federal IT Sales Engineer
Country flag
Magneride was used on GM cars formally since about 2002, but they were testing it on Corvettes going back to 1993. The biggest "issue" was drivers expecting it to ride "like a sports car". So GM, against their better tech, incorporated a "sport" setting into the Corvette (and perhaps others). Essentially the sports setting defeated the purpose of Magneride: to supply a very smooth, straight road ride that could immediately "jump" into an aggressive posture as the ROAD changed, not as the driver saw fit.

For instance, there's a road near me where -- if you were cooking -- when you topped a rise. your rear suspension could easily lift off the road (saw at least two cars on their roofs at this spot). With my C6 in "normal" mode, you could not get your rear to lift -- in "sport" mode, you could. I spoke with a GM tech who was bummed they had to make this change, but Corvette owners want noise and a "manly" suspension feel. And... they totally rejected Magneride, until Ferrari started using it. Then, it was suddenly manly.
The former is exactly what I'm hoping for in my GTPE. I ride in a vehicle now with a sporty suspension and I've grown to really dislike it. I want comfort when I'm just doing normal tasks and I love the idea of the car taking are of me if I decide I want to get a little squirrely.

Scrannel

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover Sport Diesel. Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Screenwriter
Country flag
I had (before fusion) an extremely bad back -- so Elvis Caddy mode 90% of the time was fantastic!
Sponsored