Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME, 1964 G1 Mustang, 1993 Mustang
Occupation
Sales
Country flag
I have owned two vehicles with Magneride a 2013 Lincoln MKZ Reserve and a 2018 Lincoln MKX Reserve. Both cars drove extremely well the MKZ was a special version that came with Michelin summer tires. I do wish my premium had it.

Both of these vehicles were tuned for highway cruising by lincoln and were some of the best vehicles to drive on the highway.
Sponsored

Last edited:

markboris

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
_______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
I was hoping the magneride had separate controls from the driving modes.
Agree. ICE Mustangs with magneride have a separate control for adjusting the stiffness (mine is a button on the steering wheel) in addition to it being changed in the drive modes. I would hope the Mach-E would be similar.

Last edited:

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME-GTPE, Sunbeam Tiger w1970 Boss302, 2002Rav4EV
Country flag
2 questions:

1) I am curious specially about the Magneride in the Mach E (not other cars with Magneride). Specifically can the MME GT PE can drive as comfortably or even more softly than the Premium MME from a ride quality standpoint in "normal" mode. I know it can be set to ride much stiffer in performance modes. The question is about is can it be set to be smoother or at least no stiffer if that is desired?

2) Related: Are the ride modes connected with the drive modes or is the suspension ride adjustments an independent control from the drivetrain performance modes? E.g. is "Unbridled" mode always in a "track mode" and "Whisper" always "normal" or are they two different settings that you can choose the ride independently from the drive mode?

Thank you,

Larry

Killroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Zero SR, Chevy Volt
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
The problem with using the "butt-o-meter" is that is not a reliable measuring tool.

There is typically no objective measurements in blog/magazine articles. Lots of pressure from advertisers and the placebo effect.

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The problem with using the "butt-o-meter" is that is not a reliable measuring tool.

There is typically no objective measurements in blog/magazine articles. Lots of pressure from advertisers and the placebo effect.
While I agree it is not a completely objective response, there should be a general feeling if this is like a Mustang Mach 1 in terms of stiffness and or like a regular Mach E in terms of comfort, or similar to something else...but the second question is purely a black and white one. Are the suspension modes independently controlled from the Whisper, Engage and Unbridled modes of the drive train?

427sideoiler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue GTPE
Country flag
While I agree it is not a completely objective response, there should be a general feeling if this is like a Mustang Mach 1 in terms of stiffness and or like a regular Mach E in terms of comfort, or similar to something else...but the second question is purely a black and white one. Are the suspension modes independently controlled from the Whisper, Engage and Unbridled modes of the drive train?
I have not noticed any independent settings for the suspension. Driving it in unbridled mode, the suspension is firm but not stiff where any bumps would toss the body. Drove about 30 miles on reasonably good (for cold climate) city streets in Unbridled mode bringing it home and my wife didn't say a word about harshness. Really haven't tried the other two modes to see if they change the suspension feel.

Larry Paul

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have not noticed any independent settings for the suspension. Driving it in unbridled mode, the suspension is firm but not stiff where any bumps would toss the body. Drove about 30 miles on reasonably good (for cold climate) city streets in Unbridled mode bringing it home and my wife didn't say a word about harshness. Really haven't tried the other two modes to see if they change the suspension feel.
Thank you. Great to hear that it at least can ride "comfortably". I really appreciate the response.

TTT

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DMC-12, 75 Monza, 17 Volt, 22 MMe Prem. ordered
Occupation
Imagineer
Country flag
Really haven't tried the other two modes to see if they change the suspension feel.
If you get a chance to check out the other driving modes and let us know that would be great to know how they compare in terms of suspension, and the other variables you notice. Magna Ride can have multiple personalities - that's the beauty of the system

It stands to reason that the Program Manager would have started by asking for Whisper mode to be a softer ride than the Premium, but with no body roll and no bouncing, for Engage to be similar to the Premium Trim but with corrections for any noted bad traits that can be addressed, and for Unbridled to be the described track mode, very stiff but using the fact that its an electronic suspension (not a lead pipe) to prevent it from being overly harsh.

What you ask for on Day 1 and what the team actually delivers can be two different things. From you're description it sounds like Unbridled hits the third mark nicely - eager to hear about the other two modes...

Last edited:

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Anyone that has picked up the GT, can you comment on the suspension of the regular GT? Especially if you may have also driven the Premium ME.
@Tommy303 wondering if you have insight you can share? How does the regular GT ride vs. 4X vs. Model Y? Thanks!

Tommy303

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'20 Shelby GT 500, '88 T-Bird TC, '19 Shelby F-150
Occupation
Postal Guy
Country flag
@Tommy303 wondering if you have insight you can share? How does the regular GT ride vs. 4X vs. Model Y? Thanks!
I'm sorry, I don't have much to contribute. I've never driven either. I can tell you that it rides well, yet not as harshly as my GT500. I feels large and tall, and I think it'll corner better with wider tires.

TTT

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Imagineer
Country flag
Theory #1: Nobody with a GT-PE takes it out of Unbridled mode, so none of them can tell us how the modes compare.

Theory #2: GT-PE is so fun to drive that all you can do is drive it and sleep in it while its charging - and repeat, so there is no time to tell us how the modes compare, even though you use them all.

Theory #3: If you take the car out of Unbridled mode to see how it feels, so you can tell the rest of us, the car crashes instantly and puts you in the hospital, so you are in traction, and you can't warn us not to try to drive it in any of the other modes...

I could keep going - but I really just wanted to bump the thread and see if a PE owner would tell us how they compare...

cloud9

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bullitt, 19Edge ST, 21 Explorer ST ,21 MMEGTPE
Country flag
Theory #1: Nobody with a GT-PE takes it out of Unbridled mode, so none of them can tell us how the modes compare.
True.

Here's my best shot, and as someone said there's no way to measure it other than "feel". I would say they line up about like this:

Whisper = Buick (at least theoretically since I've never owned one)
Engaged = Sport Mode (slightly less aggressive than the GT350 or Bullitt settings)
Unbridled = Track Mode (slightly less aggressive than the GT350 or Bullitt settings)

The other thing I noticed is that regenerative braking changes in the different modes:

Whisper Mode = It appears to be shut off completely. It took me a minute to adjust to no rolling resistance from the motors and more use of the traditional brakes. Also the brake coach lights never turned green indicating regen.
Engaged Mode = Regen is on, but less than Unbridled.
Unbridled Extend = significantly reduced regenerative braking from Unbridled with less rolling resistance, although there was still some indicated by the brake coach lights.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
<snip>
The other thing I noticed is that regenerative braking changes in the different modes:

Whisper Mode = It appears to be shut off completely. It took me a minute to adjust to no rolling resistance from the motors and more use of the traditional brakes. Also the brake coach lights never turned green indicating regen.
Engaged Mode = Regen is on, but less than Unbridled.
Unbridled Extend = significantly reduced regenerative braking from Unbridled with less rolling resistance, although there was still some indicated by the brake coach lights.
IIRC the original software in other trim levels only displayed the brake coach in Engage mode. Nice to hear that the brake coach is now available in all modes.

cloud9

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bullitt, 19Edge ST, 21 Explorer ST ,21 MMEGTPE
Country flag
IIRC the original software in other trim levels only displayed the brake coach in Engage mode. Nice to hear that the brake coach is now available in all modes.
I may not be interpreting "brake coach" correctly, but I am referring to the lightning bolt and dashed meter in the lower left part of the dash display.

TTT

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Imagineer
Country flag
Whisper = Buick (at least theoretically since I've never owned one)
Engaged = Sport Mode (slightly less aggressive than the GT350 or Bullitt settings)
Unbridled = Track Mode (slightly less aggressive than the GT350 or Bullitt settings)
/QUOTE]
Nice - Thank you!
Sponsored