Mach-E Inefficiency a...good thing?

buzznwood

Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & rs
Country flag
Most mini vans probably won't accelerate as fast a mach-e. I am more concerned with the tires when it comes to cornering doesn't matter how fancy you get with brake torque vectoring you can't beat physics when it comes to getting that much bulk to turn. Yes we have the advantage of a low center of gravity, but that only goes so far. I am in the same boat and would like to see some proper rubber put on not some eco tread that will get a few extra miles and the cost of driver smiles.

I know it is pre-production but even the GT in what has been shown so far is severely lacking in the tires department. I would expect pilot sport4s as a minimum requirement, not a fan of pirelli and the abysmal tread wear.

When you are paying 60k+ for a vehicle last thing you want to be doing is having to spend on top of that to put some proper rubber on so ford could at least have it as an option. I don't expect super sticky track day specials but don't want an eco rubber band either, heck the the audi e-tron is running around on 255 section width tires as standard.

silverelan

Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Subaru Outback
Country flag
Most mini vans probably won't accelerate as fast a mach-e. I am more concerned with the tires when it comes to cornering doesn't matter how fancy you get with brake torque vectoring you can't beat physics when it comes to getting that much bulk to turn. Yes we have the advantage of a low center of gravity, but that only goes so far. I am in the same boat and would like to see some proper rubber put on not some eco tread that will get a few extra miles and the cost of driver smiles.

I know it is pre-production but even the GT in what has been shown so far is severely lacking in the tires department. I would expect pilot sport4s as a minimum requirement, not a fan of pirelli and the abysmal tread wear.

When you are paying 60k+ for a vehicle last thing you want to be doing is having to spend on top of that to put some proper rubber on so ford could at least have it as an option. I don't expect super sticky track day specials but don't want an eco rubber band either, heck the the audi e-tron is running around on 255 section width tires as standard.
Even a minivan like the Pacifica has 235s. Acceleration, cornering, braking, etc would be negatively affected by skinny tires. Hard to take advantage of that low slung center of gravity if the tires can't hold a line.

Compare the Mach-E's 225s to the Model Y's 255 and the I-PACE has 235-255, depending on wheel size.

Scufflegrit

First Name
Ryan
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicles
'14 BMW X1, '15 BMW 328d, '18 F150
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I like the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. They drive almost as good as a performance summer tire, but their tread lasts twice as long. I haven't had tread life issues with the Pirelli all season tires, but their P Zero runflats are both expensive and have a short life. They drive good while they last though.