Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X3
Country flag
2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E Luggage Test | Escape for the weekend
Ford's electric gem proves its crossover prowess
James Riswick
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Luggage Test (Cargo/Trunk Space) 2021-Ford-Mustang-MachE-luggage-test

Rest assured, there's a lot more coming down the pipe from Autoblog about the exceptional 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E. As we prep those pieces, however, here's a quick appetizer.

The Mach-E looks pretty big and crossover-y in pictures, but whether on an auto show floor (awww, remember those?) or parked in the driveway, it looks much smaller in person. Thankfully, it drives that way too, but more on that in the future. Given this perception and that teardrop hatchback roofline, one would expect the Mach-E to be only slightly more convincing as a crossover than a Mustang.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Luggage Test (Cargo/Trunk Space) 2021-Ford-Mustang-MachE-luggage-test-floor-high
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Luggage Test (Cargo/Trunk Space) 2021-Ford-Mustang-MachE-luggage-test-floor-low

According to the specs, the Mach-E has 29.7 cubic-feet of space behind its back seat. That's nearly 3 cubes less than the Ford Escape and comparable to many compact SUVs. There are some asterisks, however.

First, there are two pictures above because the Mach-E has two floor heights. You can see the difference in height below left. The Escape has the same thing and it serves the same purpose: provide the maximum amount of space behind the back seat while allowing for a flat load floor when the back seat is folded. As we are only testing cargo space behind the back seat, I kept it at the lowest position as I did with the Escape.

Below right, you can also see the underfloor storage. Basically, there's just an area for the tire air compressor and the charge cord. Such cord bags, most often in plug-in hybrids, usually take up space in the cargo area.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Luggage Test (Cargo/Trunk Space) 2021-Ford-Mustang-MachE-luggage-test-floor-detail
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Luggage Test (Cargo/Trunk Space) 2021-Ford-Mustang-MachE-luggage-test-floor-open

The second asterisk involves the Mach-E's crossover-coupe shape that makes comparing cubic-feet figures with more conventional SUV shapes an apples-to-oranges affair.

Basically, what you have is a large trunk with some extra spill-over space above. It's more like an Audi A7 or first-generation Mazda6 5-Door in that regard.

I mention this only to put the cubic-feet measurement into perspective and to underline that having 3 cubic-feet less than an Escape doesn't necessarily mean it'll be as comparable as the number makes it seem.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Luggage Test (Cargo/Trunk Space) 2021-Ford-Mustang-MachE-luggage-test-all-bags

In fact, it's better than the Escape! OK, another asterisk here, but more on that later.

As in every luggage test I do, I use two midsize roller suitcases that would need to be checked in at the airport (26 inches long, 16 wide, 11 deep), two roll-aboard suitcases that just barely fit in the overhead (24L x 15W x 10D), and one smaller roll-aboard that fits easily (23L x 15W x 10D). I also include my wife's fancy overnight bag just to spruce things up a bit (21L x 12W x 12D).

All of the above fit inside with minimal Tetrising. Compare that to the Escape, below, which barely managed to fit it all.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Luggage Test (Cargo/Trunk Space) 2020-Ford-Escape-Luggage-Test-seats-back-all-bags

What's the difference here? Note the same bag is in the lower left of each Ford placed widthwise. In the Mach-E, I could fit the largest two bags lengthwise next to it. In the Escape, only the two medium bags could fit. In other words, the Mach-E is wider. It also seems to be longer.

As for that final asterisk, the Escape ultimately has an advantage due to its sliding and reclining back seat that increases capacity at the expense of rear passenger comfort.

Moving beyond the Ford comparison, this amount is comparable to other crossover coupes. It's basically the same as the Audi e-Tron Sportback (below left) and although the Cayenne Coupe can technically hold more (below right), it has a less functional space and is also a bigger vehicle. I also had to remove it's cargo cover.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Luggage Test (Cargo/Trunk Space) Audi-eTron-Sportback-Luggage-Test-all-bags
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Luggage Test (Cargo/Trunk Space) Porsche-Cayenne-Coupe-Luggage-Test-all-bags1

Now, speaking of cargo covers.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Luggage Test (Cargo/Trunk Space) rd-Mustang-MachE-luggage-test-cargo-cover-in-place
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Luggage Test (Cargo/Trunk Space) Ford-Mustang-MachE-luggage-test-cargo-cover-remove

The Mach-E's is not a traditional cargo cover with a huge cartridge that plugs into the sides and takes up a boat load of cargo capacity. It's also not a rigid hatchback-style cargo cover as in the Porsche Cayenne Coupe.

It's instead a piece of mesh that plugs into points on the liftgate and the car's cargo opening.

At first blush, this might seem inelegant and not worthy of a car carrying a $50,000-plus price tag. The original Chevy Volt had a mesh cargo cover and it was awfully cheap. However, I would argue this is a smart, functional design.

First, it's incredibly thin, meaning it can cover your cargo without taking up much space and/or needing to be removed to achieve maximum cargo capacity. I almost always do these luggage tests with and without the cargo cover since it can make a huge difference. It made no difference in the Mach-E — partly because the "spill over" space above proved useless, but partly because of this cover's functionality.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Luggage Test (Cargo/Trunk Space) tang-MachE-luggage-test-cargo-cover-from-back-seat

The above picture shows the cargo cover in place over all pieces of luggage. This is rare among compact SUVs.

There is a slight hitch ...

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Luggage Test (Cargo/Trunk Space) rd-Mustang-MachE-luggage-test-cargo-cover-collapse

Closing the hatch and cover over all the bags dislodged the cover from its plugs, but it still did its job of covering the cargo from prying eyes. I say this is a net win.

Better still, the cover folds in on itself (not unlike a windshield sunshade or my laundry hamper) making for incredibly easy storage should it indeed get in the way of your luggage stuffing. It's so small and flat, you can stash it almost anywhere amongst the bags back there. Try that with a huge, vehicle-wide cargo cover reel.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Luggage Test (Cargo/Trunk Space) 2021-Ford-Mustang-MachE-luggage-test-cargo-cover

And finally, let's talk about the frunk. Ford says it can hold 4.7 cubic-feet of stuff, which is more than a Miata's trunk. It sure doesn't look that big, however, and there was this odd divider in our test car that couldn't be removed without removing plastic rivets (that I would almost certainly end up breaking).

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Luggage Test (Cargo/Trunk Space) 2021-Ford-Mustang-MachE-luggage-test-frunk

As such, the Mach-E frunk could hold precisely 0.0 bags. It does have two cupholders, though, and we already know it's good for shrimp.

And rest assured, there's still the government-mandated escape button should Buzz Lightyear or Ant-Man get locked inside.

Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Luggage Test (Cargo/Trunk Space) 2021-Ford-Mustang-MachE-luggage-test-frunk-escape

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
This is great. People having questions about the hatch area should find it very useful.

jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 RR ME FE, '22 Corsair GT, '22 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Benefit Fund Administrator
Country flag

ab13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rav4 Hybrid
Country flag
Wonder if anyone tried to show a backpack in the front divider.

agoldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT Cyber Orange
Country flag
I think I may remove that stupid Frunk divider before leaving the dealership. I hate it.

eltonlin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FE Gray
Country flag
I agree it's not right for everyone. But you have an option to use it or take it out. more options are good.
Agree - all depends on what you plan to use it for. Permanent storage of items that would ordinarily been the trunk may be more helpful with the divider.

Jim Glass

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach E First Edition, 2019 Audi Q5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
James Riswick
Ford Mustang Mach-E Mach-E Luggage Test (Cargo/Trunk Space) 2021-Ford-Mustang-MachE-luggage-test-frunk-escape

Rest assured, there's a lot more coming down the pipe from Autoblog about the exceptional 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E. As we prep those pieces, however, here's a quick appetizer.

The Mach-E looks pretty big and crossover-y in pictures, but whether on an auto show floor (awww, remember those?) or parked in the driveway, it looks much smaller in person. Thankfully, it drives that way too, but more on that in the future. Given this perception and that teardrop hatchback roofline, one would expect the Mach-E to be only slightly more convincing as a crossover than a Mustang.

According to the specs, the Mach-E has 29.7 cubic-feet of space behind its back seat. That's nearly 3 cubes less than the Ford Escape and comparable to many compact SUVs. There are some asterisks, however.

First, there are two pictures above because the Mach-E has two floor heights. You can see the difference in height below left. The Escape has the same thing and it serves the same purpose: provide the maximum amount of space behind the back seat while allowing for a flat load floor when the back seat is folded. As we are only testing cargo space behind the back seat, I kept it at the lowest position as I did with the Escape.

Below right, you can also see the underfloor storage. Basically, there's just an area for the tire air compressor and the charge cord. Such cord bags, most often in plug-in hybrids, usually take up space in the cargo area.

The second asterisk involves the Mach-E's crossover-coupe shape that makes comparing cubic-feet figures with more conventional SUV shapes an apples-to-oranges affair.

Basically, what you have is a large trunk with some extra spill-over space above. It's more like an Audi A7 or first-generation Mazda6 5-Door in that regard.

I mention this only to put the cubic-feet measurement into perspective and to underline that having 3 cubic-feet less than an Escape doesn't necessarily mean it'll be as comparable as the number makes it seem.

In fact, it's better than the Escape! OK, another asterisk here, but more on that later.

As in every luggage test I do, I use two midsize roller suitcases that would need to be checked in at the airport (26 inches long, 16 wide, 11 deep), two roll-aboard suitcases that just barely fit in the overhead (24L x 15W x 10D), and one smaller roll-aboard that fits easily (23L x 15W x 10D). I also include my wife's fancy overnight bag just to spruce things up a bit (21L x 12W x 12D).

All of the above fit inside with minimal Tetrising. Compare that to the Escape, below, which barely managed to fit it all.

What's the difference here? Note the same bag is in the lower left of each Ford placed widthwise. In the Mach-E, I could fit the largest two bags lengthwise next to it. In the Escape, only the two medium bags could fit. In other words, the Mach-E is wider. It also seems to be longer.

As for that final asterisk, the Escape ultimately has an advantage due to its sliding and reclining back seat that increases capacity at the expense of rear passenger comfort.

Moving beyond the Ford comparison, this amount is comparable to other crossover coupes. It's basically the same as the Audi e-Tron Sportback (below left) and although the Cayenne Coupe can technically hold more (below right), it has a less functional space and is also a bigger vehicle. I also had to remove it's cargo cover.

The Mach-E's is not a traditional cargo cover with a huge cartridge that plugs into the sides and takes up a boat load of cargo capacity. It's also not a rigid hatchback-style cargo cover as in the Porsche Cayenne Coupe.

It's instead a piece of mesh that plugs into points on the liftgate and the car's cargo opening.

At first blush, this might seem inelegant and not worthy of a car carrying a $50,000-plus price tag. The original Chevy Volt had a mesh cargo cover and it was awfully cheap. However, I would argue this is a smart, functional design.

First, it's incredibly thin, meaning it can cover your cargo without taking up much space and/or needing to be removed to achieve maximum cargo capacity. I almost always do these luggage tests with and without the cargo cover since it can make a huge difference. It made no difference in the Mach-E — partly because the "spill over" space above proved useless, but partly because of this cover's functionality.

The above picture shows the cargo cover in place over all pieces of luggage. This is rare among compact SUVs.

Closing the hatch and cover over all the bags dislodged the cover from its plugs, but it still did its job of covering the cargo from prying eyes. I say this is a net win.

Better still, the cover folds in on itself (not unlike a windshield sunshade or my laundry hamper) making for incredibly easy storage should it indeed get in the way of your luggage stuffing. It's so small and flat, you can stash it almost anywhere amongst the bags back there. Try that with a huge, vehicle-wide cargo cover reel.

And finally, let's talk about the frunk. Ford says it can hold 4.7 cubic-feet of stuff, which is more than a Miata's trunk. It sure doesn't look that big, however, and there was this odd divider in our test car that couldn't be removed without removing plastic rivets (that I would almost certainly end up breaking).

As such, the Mach-E frunk could hold precisely 0.0 bags. It does have two cupholders, though, and we already know it's good for shrimp.
I understand that the trunk divider can easily be removed (like four screws) and make it more usable.

And rest assured, there's still the government-mandated escape button should Buzz Lightyear or Ant-Man get locked inside.

James Riswick

Dmcerm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Expedition EL, 2012 Mustang GT, 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis, 13 year owner/operator 1983 DeLorean DMC-12 - sold Nov. 2014
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
James Riswick

Loved the genuine enthusiasm the author has for the Mach-E.
Great article.
This luggage test is great and really shows the practicality of the MME.
As sad as I'll be to trade or sell my 2012 GT, while missing that V8 rumble, being able to get my family 5 in the car at one time will be a blessing and will still carry the prominence of doing it in a Mustang!