David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Camry
Occupation
Architect
Country flag
Most of the rattles you get with fords are due to bean counting on the interior, USA models also suffer a lot of decontenting over time (you only have to see the bits that go missing vs some euro versions of the same vehicle) add in the use of sub par plastics in some models (looking at you mustang) and in the lack of felt between possible rub points over time they can become a rattle trap :(.

Most of the additional rub & creak points typically comes from the vast spread of trims you can get with a model so the dash ends up being a jigsaw of pieces to cater to all these trim levels adding far more contact points than would typically be necessary.

The huge plus point for the mach-e is that this vast interior trim selection is not present pretty much all vehicles have the same base interior setup with the trim differences being at logical places no heated seats, steering etc and with the lack of physical buttons for a lot of features that jigsaw puzzle of differences is just not there so I suspect the interior should remain rattle free :)

I got to sit in the mach-e during one of the road show visits last week, my overall impression of the interior was that is was solidly put together :) I gave the central console a good wobble test and gave the dash a good look over everything was nice and sturdy within minimal contact points so I expect it to remain creak free, of course only time will tell but seeing as most of my commute is over a large strip of concrete rubble that the state is trying to pass off as a freeway it probably won't take long to put that to the test lol.

Overall quality wise it was up at the titanium level with soft touch front and rear, however for the price point it really should be at the viginale trim level as it is missing features that are present on cheaper models so ford gets a large demerit for that from me, not yet sat in a model Y but compared to the interior of a model 3 it was a step up, but I find the interior of quality of all teslas I have been in sub par.

Until BEV's become truly mainstream you are going to be paying more than the equivalent ICE so unfortunately being in the early adopter club means comparing quality at similar price points to between BEV and ICE is going to typically leave the BEV of worse :( only long term ownership will reveal what interior cost cutting took place on the mach-e however based on first impressions it should hold up well.
what elements of a vignale would you consider not present in the Mach-e that you feel should have been included?

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
what elements of a vignale would you consider not present in the Mach-e that you feel should have been included?
Not an extensive list, but when some of these features are also available on cheaper fords not being available on the mach-e which considering the price of the premium trim make it feel a lot less premium.

The rear seat lacks a through ski hatch using a full 40,20,40 split would have been nicer but sticking to a 60,40 split seat and using a ski hatch would have been an acceptable alternative to do neither at this price point is not acceptable, when this set up can be found on the cheaper id.4 and is also available on the much cheaper mk4 ford focus it looks poor.

Due to the depth of the trunk / boot the lack of remote rear seat fold from the truck / boot is another bone headed choice seeing as this is a feature again available on the cheaper mk4 focus (wagon / estate) and other SUV's in this price range.

The door pockets are not felt lined, this is something fords have lacked for years the mk4 focus finally added this and in an electric vehicle where quietness is a key selling point, leaving the door pockets as bean counter plastic means items are free to rattle around making a noise again at the price point they should be felt lined.

A lack of heated rear seats, seeing as cabin heat can have a detrimental impacts on range and the mach-e is being touted as a family vehicle where people are expected to sit in the back seats this again look poor especially compared to the model Y.

There is no heated windshield / windscreen, I can understand the negative impact this could have on range while driving, but this is also more a USA ford thing and a real pet hate of mine, this has been a staple of EURO fords for over 30 years and always tends to go AWOL in USA :( who knows why, seeing as the id.4 comes with one, for people living in cold climates and have to park outside on the drive having this as part of a pre heat when plugged in would be very useful.

No cooled front seats, No massage front seats, No headlamp washers which is another of those goes AWOL in USA ford features :(, than again USA headlamp standards are so antiquated a candle in a jam jar passes for a head lamp so not much difference between a dirty or clean lamp lol, however this does look a bit poor on the EURO version where headlamp washers are pretty common.

None of this is a deal breaker, but when you get up into the $60k range you really are in the premium price range category and expectations are higher.

OTA should be able to fix other features that have a habit of going missing such as auto dip of the passenger mirror when you go into reverse gear.

DBC

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt ELR
Country flag
This is more tech than luxury, but I a couple of omissions would be:

1. Rear view camera like GM has
2. Dashcam and Sentry Mode like Tesla has

As far as build quality, I thought the Mach-E was excellent. Even on the pre-production units, no huge panel gaps and a nice thud when the doors closed.

Lscamp

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt
Country flag
Definitely. I've already brought my Mach E in for service 3 times for the same rattle. Dealer keeps saying they fix it, but clearly they haven't. About to just trade in my Mach E for a much nicer and higher quality Model 3.
So you’re good with the roof flying off or the bumper falling off? Makes sense...

GoGoGadgetMachE

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E 1st Ed., 2022 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Professional forum cheerleader and fanboy
Country flag
So you’re good with the roof flying off or the bumper falling off? Makes sense...
I think you mistook his sarcasm for seriousness. ;)

also, welcome :)

Jimrpa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Infinite Blue Premium Mustang Mach E ER AWD
Occupation
Retied (formerly tried to herd highly technical, independent cats)
Country flag
That sound bar is definitely not designed to take abuse from kids throwing food and drinks around, the dog jumping around, etc. Ford definitely went for style over family SUV indestructibility here.
Any children or animals (I sometimes have difficulties distinguishing between the two) soiling or damaging the interior of my vehicle will rapidly exit it - at speed. They should have been properly restrained and incapable of any motion while in the vehicle.
The koi, of course, are excluded, as the koi pond can be cleaned ?

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
The center console rattles a little on both our Escapes at highway speeds. Not what's inside, but the whole thing. If I lean on it it stops.

ChasingCoral

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GB E4X FE, Leaf, Tacoma, F-150 Lightning ordered
Occupation
Retired oceanographer
Country flag
OP
OP

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
The center console rattles a little on both our Escapes at highway speeds. Not what's inside, but the whole thing. If I lean on it it stops.
If that 15" screen rattles than we have big problem