Rabidsquirrel22

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Camaro SS, 2021 GTPE
Country flag
I've got a 2018 Fusion, which has an interior filled with significantly more cheap plastic than the Mach-E, and it doesn't have any rattles.

Last edited:

machefan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RR FE 21', Leaf 18' and Bronco BadLands 2022
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I've got a 2018 Escape, which has an interior filled with significantly more cheap plastic than the Mach-E, and it doesn't have any rattles.
My leaf center console plastic looks almost the same as the MACH-E, lots of scratches on it. I noticed in one of the recent photos on the forum of the interior the same thing showing up on the center console bezel. So that is the only thing so far I can see that would annoy me, the rest is looking really good. FYI, best place to get a large amount of SHRIMP for the FRUNK party (post covid) would be Costco unless you live in a sea based village off the gulf. Personally I think it's best fit for a wing party during tailgating, but I have to admit the dividers will be the first mod I make after getting it home.

Rabidsquirrel22

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Camaro SS, 2021 GTPE
Country flag
My leaf center console plastic looks almost the same as the MACH-E, lots of scratches on it. I noticed in one of the recent photos on the forum of the interior the same thing showing up on the center console bezel. So that is the only thing so far I can see that would annoy me, the rest is looking really good. FYI, best place to get a large amount of SHRIMP for the FRUNK party (post covid) would be Costco unless you live in a sea based village off the gulf. Personally I think it's best fit for a wing party during tailgating, but I have to admit the dividers will be the first mod I make after getting it home.
Yeah, I hate piano black on center consoles because of the scratching too. Hopefully, the aftermarket comes out with decals or wraps to cover it up as they've done for Tesla's center consoles.

methorian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E First Edition, Mini Cooper SE
Occupation
IT Admin
Country flag
Yeah, I hate piano black on center consoles because of the scratching too. Hopefully, the aftermarket comes out with decals or wraps to cover it up as they've done for Tesla's center consoles.
That's my hope as well. Not a fan at all, but we should hopefully see some wraps coming. I may even just see about a custom job if it doesn't look like pre-cuts come around.

Dmcerm

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford Expedition EL, 2012 Mustang GT, 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis, 13 year owner/operator 1983 DeLorean DMC-12 - sold Nov. 2014
Occupation
Teacher
Country flag
2012 Mustang GT owner here... Oh, the never-ending debate or discussion continues.
If you go back to my 1994 Ford Crown Victoria, she rattled a lot. Door panels and other notoriously squeaky items like that. Hard plastics that just didn't ride well.

By the time I got my 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis, the 9 year difference in fit and finish is markedly improved and while there are still 'rattles' that any person could understand arising in a 17 year old car. But from 1994 to 2003, Ford's Fit 'n' Finished has improved.

Then by 2012, compared to the 1994 Vic, my Mustang is and always has been very tight and rattle free. After Ford began to restructure in preparation for the impending 'recession', and they began to sell their non-Ford brands, mortgage the Ford Oval Trademark, sell off or trim back the Ford Finance operations, etc., one of the 'One Ford' Initiatives by Alan Mulally was to finally, actually make improvements to Fit 'n' Finish, and as far as I can tell, between my 2012 Mustang and my wife's 2017 Expedition EL, any rattles I've noticed stem not from the car itself, but from all the crap my kids leave in the car!!!

And while anyone can nit-pick and find legitimate issues with any car, even the Holy Sacraments of Tesla, I know that Ford's quality has improved markedly, and I'm sure there are consumer reports and other such publications that could demonstrate those facts with real date. Ford may still not be up to where the vaunted Asia-Sector Manufacturers have been with Fit 'n' Finish, but they have made 'Yuge' improvements and I would say, with my real-world experience as well as how many resources Ford has marshalled behind the Mustang name, I of course would expect the M-E to be a pretty tight car... but for the Congregants of the Tesla Cult, no manufacturer can do any good...

Let's face it, my number 1 and primary metric for the Mach-E's success will be how many glass roofs tear off of the Mach-Es while traversing our nation's highways on the home RIGHT AFTER DELIVERY in it's first year of production. I think that's a fair data point to look to for the success or failure of such an anticipated nameplate!

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
The only american vehicle I owned was a Ford Edge - had it for 10 years and that was the quitest vehicle I had with no rattles etc. I am not dinging Japanese makes - had a camry - no real rattles after 10 years. My VW Passat has so many issues I could not wait to get rid of it. My Honda Odyssey minivan - had so many noises after 20-30K miles, I was glad it died by itself after 150K miles (transmission gone) - but after 10 years of that rattler - I just cant sit in any noisy cars anymore drives me nuts - so hoping the Mach E is as quiet as the Edge.
VW OK, but Honda data is solid in regards to squeak and rattle. Lucky you, you got an outlier.

A weird thing happens with HEV vehicles. When running electric only, the lack of powertrain noise causes people to notice lesser noises and rattles. If you take a "quiet" ICE vehicle, make it electric, now it is not "quiet" anymore. You notice the small noises that were drowned out by the gas engine.

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
Most of the rattles you get with fords are due to bean counting on the interior, USA models also suffer a lot of decontenting over time (you only have to see the bits that go missing vs some euro versions of the same vehicle) add in the use of sub par plastics in some models (looking at you mustang) and in the lack of felt between possible rub points over time they can become a rattle trap :(.

Most of the additional rub & creak points typically comes from the vast spread of trims you can get with a model so the dash ends up being a jigsaw of pieces to cater to all these trim levels adding far more contact points than would typically be necessary.

The huge plus point for the mach-e is that this vast interior trim selection is not present pretty much all vehicles have the same base interior setup with the trim differences being at logical places no heated seats, steering etc and with the lack of physical buttons for a lot of features that jigsaw puzzle of differences is just not there so I suspect the interior should remain rattle free :)

I got to sit in the mach-e during one of the road show visits last week, my overall impression of the interior was that is was solidly put together :) I gave the central console a good wobble test and gave the dash a good look over everything was nice and sturdy within minimal contact points so I expect it to remain creak free, of course only time will tell but seeing as most of my commute is over a large strip of concrete rubble that the state is trying to pass off as a freeway it probably won't take long to put that to the test lol.

Overall quality wise it was up at the titanium level with soft touch front and rear, however for the price point it really should be at the viginale trim level as it is missing features that are present on cheaper models so ford gets a large demerit for that from me, not yet sat in a model Y but compared to the interior of a model 3 it was a step up, but I find the interior of quality of all teslas I have been in sub par.

Until BEV's become truly mainstream you are going to be paying more than the equivalent ICE so unfortunately being in the early adopter club means comparing quality at similar price points to between BEV and ICE is going to typically leave the BEV of worse :( only long term ownership will reveal what interior cost cutting took place on the mach-e however based on first impressions it should hold up well.

RonTCat

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E wannabuy
Country flag
Most of the rattles you get with fords are due to bean counting on the interior, USA models also suffer a lot of decontenting over time (you only have to see the bits that go missing vs some euro versions of the same vehicle) add in the use of sub par plastics in some models (looking at you mustang) and in the lack of felt between possible rub points over time they can become a rattle trap :(.

Most of the additional rub & creak points typically comes from the vast spread of trims you can get with a model so the dash ends up being a jigsaw of pieces to cater to all these trim levels adding far more contact points than would typically be necessary.

The huge plus point for the mach-e is that this vast interior trim selection is not present pretty much all vehicles have the same base interior setup with the trim differences being at logical places no heated seats, steering etc and with the lack of physical buttons for a lot of features that jigsaw puzzle of differences is just not there so I suspect the interior should remain rattle free :)

I got to sit in the mach-e during one of the road show visits last week, my overall impression of the interior was that is was solidly put together :) I gave the central console a good wobble test and gave the dash a good look over everything was nice and sturdy within minimal contact points so I expect it to remain creak free, of course only time will tell but seeing as most of my commute is over a large strip of concrete rubble that the state is trying to pass off as a freeway it probably won't take long to put that to the test lol.

Overall quality wise it was up at the titanium level with soft touch front and rear, however for the price point it really should be at the viginale trim level as it is missing features that are present on cheaper models so ford gets a large demerit for that from me, not yet sat in a model Y but compared to the interior of a model 3 it was a step up, but I find the interior of quality of all teslas I have been in sub par.

Until BEV's become truly mainstream you are going to be paying more than the equivalent ICE so unfortunately being in the early adopter club means comparing quality at similar price points to between BEV and ICE is going to typically leave the BEV of worse :( only long term ownership will reveal what interior cost cutting took place on the mach-e however based on first impressions it should hold up well.
Nice summary, have to agree with all of it.

OP
OP

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag

Thank you all for the info and making this a civil informative convo. Im also concerned with the soundbar dash if with time that could cause rattling or even worse gets dirty/stained and impossible to clean. Its a new idea that i have my reservations about.

ARK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E
Country flag
Thank you all for the info and making this a civil informative convo. Im also concerned with the soundbar dash if with time that could cause rattling or even worse gets dirty/stained and impossible to clean. Its a new idea that i have my reservations about.
That sound bar is definitely not designed to take abuse from kids throwing food and drinks around, the dog jumping around, etc. Ford definitely went for style over family SUV indestructibility here.

Redundant

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X-Space White, 1 Ford Flex, 2 Ford Escapes
Country flag
That sound bar is definitely not designed to take abuse from kids throwing food and drinks around, the dog jumping around, etc. Ford definitely went for style over family SUV indestructibility here.
It seemed durable to me. Not like a stereo speaker cover.

OP
OP

kdryden99

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Sentra Spec-V, Infinite Blue Mach E4X Prem
Country flag
You forgot the wife accidentally dumping her coffee on it

buzznwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
focus st & GTPE
Country flag
It seemed durable to me. Not like a stereo speaker cover.
I gave the sound bar a good poke it had some solidity to it, again time will tell how well it will hold up if you have passengers that like to put feet up on the dash well then all bets are off lol. However with it being a speaker grill then worse case having to replace it should be less of an issue.

The same material is used for the speakers down on the door which are large and right above the door pockets and not doubt contribute to the rather shallow door pockets :(, so I suspect the material is expected to be fairly durable as items are typically blinding placed / reached for out of door pockets so chances are the speaker grill is going to get knocked a bit and will hopefully have been tested as such.

As other have noted I expect the piano black gloss parts of the interior trim to get scratched up :( all piano gloss black interior should really be banished to the deepest levels of hades, manufactures really need to stop it. Can fully understand wanting to add some contrast but would have preferred another material if they want shiny then at least go with carbon fiber. Thankfully it is not a huge area of piano black but is located in the worst possible place so the potentially to be scratched up is high, fumble around with plugin something into the usb (the lack of usb in the storage area under the arm rest doesn't help), be a bit clumsy with grabbing your phone or just placing a hand bag in the lower storage, or even a ring / watch are all just a moment away from scratching it up.

Tsand4

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E 1st Ed -rec'd 1/27/21, '14 Fusion Hybrid SE
Country flag
The original post reminds me of a Consumer Report bias. My 2014 Fusion hybrid with 124k miles is near silent when rolling down Michigan roads on battery. My 06 Acura TL with 242k? Stinkin'center dash "flip lid" on storage compartment has been rattling for 10 years! But 2 pennies jammed into the top corner of the lid keeps it quiet.
Just my two cents worth to the OP.

Last edited:

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
The ordinal post reminds me of a Consumer Report bias. My 2014 Fusion hybrid with 124k miles is near silent when rolling down Michigan roads on battery. My 06 Acura TL with 242k? Stinkin'center dash "flip lid" on storage compartment has been rattling for 10 years! But 2 pennies jammed into the top corner of the lid keeps it quiet.
Just my two cents worth to the OP.
LOL Yeah I've scared people in the Focus Elecric sneaking up on them before...(story elsewhere in the forums)