David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
@nvabill

@DYohn
Thank you for that comment - I'm curious what you found about the Bolt that you didn't like??
All subjective things. The ride quality, the seating position, the fit/finish of the interior, the overall size (it is larger then the Volt but it felt smaller.) Nothing wrong with the vehicle it just wasn't to our liking. We had the exact opposite instant opinion of the MME and knew it was our next car immediately.
Sponsored

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Mach E , 22 MachE, 62 C10 Big window long bed
Occupation
Loafer
Country flag
I toyed with the concept of getting a Bolt as our second EV.

If I wanted to save $10k on an around town only car I would get a Mini. Cool and fun to drive, sure a bolt is 4 door but if space is really that big of a deal a MachE is better.

Even at $10k less it is a lot of scratch for a soulless commuter. I would just get a Maverick XL hybrid and keep pumping gas. Throw on tint and aftermarket rims and still come out ahead of the Bolt on cost of ownership.

OP
OP

PL281

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E Select (Build week 9/26/22)
Country flag
@Garbone

That is an interesting look at it. I looked at a mini a few years ago and didn't like the ride - I don't need the extra space over what I have today - but I don't want to go smaller.

Also I'm leasing it so I'm not worried about aftermarket / upgrades.

Most days I'm driving 30-50 miles depending on what errands I'm running so I don't need a lot.

As I mentioned I was thinking of doing this more so to have a backup option come Feb of 23 if the MME isn't in yet - or isn't even scheduled.

Based on what I'm seeing to get the Feb delivery on the MME I need have a production week somewhere no later than the 2nd week of December.

I guess I could always buy out my lease and then sell the car when I'm ready to get the MME - but I'd rather not have to go through all the extra paperwork.

SWO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Mach E GT, 2021 Escape PHEV, 2019 F-150
Country flag
In my opinion, the charging speed of the Bolt is prohibitive for longer trips. You are going to be miserable charging at 50kw. The SR MachE isn't fast, but it will be 50-100% faster.

Every time I see a Bolt at EA, the owner is either reclined sleeping with a pillow and blanket, or reclined reading a book. The MachE will generally be at 80% in the time it takes to use the restroom and buy a drink or snack.

If you are going to L2 charge at home 99% of the time, this isn't an issue - but I wouldn't want to take a Bolt on a 1500 mile trip.

evfinder

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Prius Plug-in
Country flag
I am also thinking about going the Bolt EUV route as my Mach-e, which was supposed to be built last week, is currently in limbo. Ford says they will update me every 45 days until it is built.

Here are a few pro's and con's that you might want to consider.

First, there doesn't appear to be a long wait for the Bolt EUV. All the dealers around here are showing cars that are currently in transit in there inventory, and some actually have cars on the lot. I haven't been to visit any of these yet so it might be that they have huge markups but one of the local dealers here is showing cars with 2K markup and 6K customer cash from GM.

Second remember that the Bolt EUV is not currently eligible for Fed tax credits where the Mach-e is. This may change if the IRA passes and is signed into law. This could actually switch this around as the tax credit in the IRA is only for cars built in America and as the Mach-e is built in Mexico it could end up loosing the tax credit (not sure if this is the case I haven't studied the IRA to see if it applies only after the 200K limit and phase down has been completed.

For me the smaller size is a plus as the Mach-e will be a tight squeeze in my garage.

I didn't know about the lack of a NAV in the EUV until I read this thread. The NAV system on my wife's Escape is really good but the one on my Plug-in Prius (the car being replaced) sucks and I never use it. I currently use google maps so I would continue to use this and/or a Better Route Planner on the rare occasions we went on a road trip.

phil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LS400
Country flag
Also if anyone else has done a deeper comparison I'd be interested to know.
I have not done a deep comparison, but I did own an early Bolt Premier. I liked it a lot. Advantages of the Bolt over the Ford included the Bolt's small size, rear-view mirror/camera, and good visibility all around from the driver's seat. Mustang advantages include AWD or RWD, less-skinny EV tires, and heavier weight - all of which make the Mustang feel safer for me (and my family). Of course, there are lots of other differences, but those are the ones that mattered most to me.

Good luck with your decision and your new car.

DYohn

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E Premium Ex
Country flag
@Garbone

That is an interesting look at it. I looked at a mini a few years ago and didn't like the ride - I don't need the extra space over what I have today - but I don't want to go smaller.

Also I'm leasing it so I'm not worried about aftermarket / upgrades.

Most days I'm driving 30-50 miles depending on what errands I'm running so I don't need a lot.

As I mentioned I was thinking of doing this more so to have a backup option come Feb of 23 if the MME isn't in yet - or isn't even scheduled.

Based on what I'm seeing to get the Feb delivery on the MME I need have a production week somewhere no later than the 2nd week of December.

I guess I could always buy out my lease and then sell the car when I'm ready to get the MME - but I'd rather not have to go through all the extra paperwork.
Seriously, in your position if all I needed was 50 miles a day leased commuter, I'd look at a Nissan Leaf.

OP
OP

PL281

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So quick update - Chevy's Order system is not open on Sundays - it was $500 refundable. Same sort of deal as with the MME - they will put in the order but then it's a guessing game from there.

@DYohn - I do need something larger than the leaf and I don't want 100 mile range - because then I really can't even do a trip to Disney without multiple charge stops

Gold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CR1 Mach-E AWD
Country flag
@Gold
Thank you - I know you've been having some issues with your BlueCruise up in the Tampa / Orlando area - but otherwise it seems you are happy with the car. I'm not getting the BlueCruise so that won't be an issue - Do you think the Bolt EUV is closer to the MME vs the earlier Bolt or do you think they are still very different
[/QUOTE]

To be honest, I haven't sat in the new Bolt EUV. I don't believe they made any major changes to the quality of the car. I believe the major difference between the regular Bolt and the EUV is the Supercruise and a larger car.

Don't get me wrong, I thought the Bolt was a nice starter EV car (owned for 3 years). However, once I test drove a MME, felt like night and day difference.

Lscamp

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt
Country flag
We have both. Very different cars and not really competitors. But I actually like both. But definitely pros and cons to either. Pros for the Boltā€¦cooled seats optional, more adjustments on the power seat, (but only on Driver side) while the cargo area is really short front to back, there is a very deep well around the false floor. Much deeper than the Mach E. And of course a hide plus is the price. Its a lot of car for the money and super cute.
Pros for the premium Mach Eā€¦power! Much more upscale interior and materials, its a lot wider and definitely noticeable when you dont have to fight for the center arm rest. More ā€œwowā€ than the Bolt. But the Bolt does have the advantage of feeling most like a ā€œregularā€ car.

DFD8B31B-34DC-4EB4-BAB9-A398719C030D.jpeg

OP
OP

PL281

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@Lscamp
Do you have the EV or the EUV

Thank you for the input

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, '22 California Route 1
Country flag
@nvabill
Thank you for the videos - The battery issue was something that gave me pause - and part of the reason I would only get the MY23 Bolt EUV.

That said one could make the argument against the MME due to the HVBJB issues - although I believe the issue is limited to the GT trim.

I found the Electric Viking video you posted the most interesting - especially to the point of why aren't more people purchasing it - but I think this also says a lot about US vs International auto purchases

@sotek2345
The longest trip we do is to Disney which is 176 miles one way and we usually stop at one of the rest stops already - so I would just plugin while we were stopped - couldn't do round trip on a charge but otherwise should be ok

@DYohn
Thank you for that comment - I'm curious what you found about the Bolt that you didn't like??

@Gold
Thank you - I know you've been having some issues with your BlueCruise up in the Tampa / Orlando area - but otherwise it seems you are happy with the car. I'm not getting the BlueCruise so that won't be an issue - Do you think the Bolt EUV is closer to the MME vs the earlier Bolt or do you think they are still very different
Yes, I'm sure they must have fixed the issues for MY23.

DadwithaMach

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Mach E Premium RWD Ext
Occupation
Help Desk Manager
Country flag
I had a Gen1 Bolt... Now this was my first full EV I did have a Gen1 Volt

My cons (Which have DRASTICALY changed since that time) are as follows
- Non Premier is basic of basic
- Uncomfortable for longer rides then 2hrs
- SLOW charge
- Manual seats (Driver and Passenger)
- Semi tight cabin
- Next to no trunk space
- Center console was beyond basic of basic
- Acceleration was next to nothing
- HUGE battery drain on for Heat and AC

Pros
- Full EV (230 miles)
- Under estimated the miles I was getting 280 in the Spring/Summer/Fall
- Easy to clean fabric seats

I'd consider getting a Bolt EUV... IF.... and only this IF... I can pay it off within a year and have another car in the home that is Gas or a TRUE EV.. The Bolt EUV is for your families that have two vehicles in the home and will only use the EUV for city driving... This should NOT be considered to be a long distance car be ANY MEANS

These are just my two cents and as I said I know it's come a long ways from Gen1 they def look a HECK of a lot nicer! But still the EUV is not a practical vehicle.
Sponsored

Reactions: SWO