Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Country flag
Look:
Ford Mustang Mach-E Map of the EA network EA network in usa

Ford Mustang Mach-E Map of the EA network EA phase 2 plans enlarged

Too many "holes" in the "map". Those in the upper Midwest are going to severely lack fast DC chargers.

theothertom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Chevy Bolt
Country flag
Alabama and Mississippi look pretty bare as well.

macchiaz-o

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
🔑 ]not/A/gr8'Place.2.store-mEyePassword[ 👀
Vehicles
MY21 J1 Premium RWD SR
Country flag
These same locations look barren on PlugShare's CCS map, too. They show zero CCS charging stations in Alaska!

Out of curiosity, I tried routing from Anchorage to Fairbanks using https://abetterrouteplanner.com/. It didn't find any workable route.

https://www.plugshare.com/ has a bunch of 14-50 and J-1772 options along that route and is able to compute a workable trip with two (long) charging stops.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
I can't tell if EA's strategy is good or bad. They're building an awful lot of chargers in certain cities and completely skimping on some interstate routes.

Tesla's supercharger network was originally intended to enable long-distance travel between city pairs along major interstates with subsequent in-fill in metro areas.

OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The cost to install a fast DC charger (supercharger) is what $35,000 and up? Don't know how or who is able to build onto this system.

OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tesla model 3 comes with a CSS "plug" for the European market as CSS is mandated as the only standard in that market. If the same happens in North America, then non-Tesla owners may be blessed with a huge increase in charging stations.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Map of the EA network tesla css plug on model 3

OP
OP
Billyk24

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Now, there is also a Blink, Chargepoint and EVGO charging map locations that plugshare doesn't fully recognize.
Ford Mustang Mach-E Map of the EA network charge now by evgo usa ma

I'm having trouble getting the Blink and Chargepoint maps copied and posted.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
spareelectrons.wordpress.com
Vehicles
Mach-E, old: Bolt, C-Max Energi, Focus Electric
Country flag
Keep in mind plugshare is also crowd sourced. In addition to partnerships with all those networks they also rely on people reporting charge stations.

This means that you'll find odd stations like a store owner installing his/her own Clipper Creek charger for customers that isn't networked in plugshare that you won't find anywhere else. Or the many plugs found on lightpoles in parking lots.

In addition to that: Plug share users can list their own house if they wish to be generous (or a rescue for someone who is in dire need of a charge).

Having driven a car with a plug for 7 years now: The plugshare app is my go to app for finding charge stations. Nothing else has been as reliable.

dbsb3233

First Name
TimCO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E FE, 2023 Bronco Sport OB
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
That's all nice, but such patchwork, iffy dependability isn't gonna convince many ICE drivers to buy BEV.

But that's ok, because the real market for BEV sales is as dedicated daily commute cars, not road tripping. There's plenty of market share to be had targeting commute cars.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
Keep in mind plugshare is also crowd sourced. In addition to partnerships with all those networks they also rely on people reporting charge stations.

This means that you'll find odd stations like a store owner installing his/her own Clipper Creek charger for customers that isn't networked in plugshare that you won't find anywhere else. Or the many plugs found on lightpoles in parking lots.

In addition to that: Plug share users can list their own house if they wish to be generous (or a rescue for someone who is in dire need of a charge).

Having driven a car with a plug for 7 years now: The plugshare app is my go to app for finding charge stations. Nothing else has been as reliable.
I think i would just keep plugshare's filter narrowed down to CCS/SAE at 50kW minimum power and call it good. If needing it in a pinch, zero out the power minimum and include Tesla destination chargers and J1772 plugs.

As for EA, I think we'll need to see them work on their routes and station locations. Tesla has done well to put Superchargers in out of the way places that their owners want to visit. Yellowstone National Park, Olympic Peninsula, Mt. Rushmore, etc. In our Mach-Es, it will be difficult if not impossible to visit these places in our cars.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
All the places you mention have a plethora of J1772 plugs around them. Easy peasy.

Mt. Rushmore has 3 J1772's right at the monument (and 3 Tesla destination chargers).

A few years ago we had a rented Bolt and charged up at the Redwoods north of San Francisco.

silverelan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mustang Mach-E GT
Country flag
All the places you mention have a plethora of J1772 plugs around them. Easy peasy.

Mt. Rushmore has 3 J1772's right at the monument (and 3 Tesla destination chargers).

A few years ago we had a rented Bolt and charged up at the Redwoods north of San Francisco.
I don't think there's a CCS plug within 250 miles of Mt. Rushmore.

JamieGeek

Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't think there's a CCS plug within 250 miles of Mt. Rushmore.
I didn't say CCS, I said Level-2. You can still accomplish a trip, just at a slower pace.
Sponsored