Unexplainedbacon

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT hopeful
Country flag
I thought I'd share some preliminary thoughts after test driving each of these this weekend. At first (and probably second) glance they're different cars for different buyers but they overlap enough to appeal both to my desire for a peppy EV thats big enough to fit a couple kids and small dogs and they're in similar price brackets.

Everything I say here is just my opinion after less than 10 min driving each so take that for what its worth.

The biggest differences that jump out right away are the range and performance. That is to say the range on the MME is much higher while the Volvo ironically feels much faster. C&D tested the Mach at 5.1 0-60 and the Volvo 4.3 and my eyeballs could feel that difference as the Volvo pushed them into the back of my sockets . That nearly 1 second difference was enough to put a big smile on my face and have me scratching my head at the Mach. A MME GT would make up that difference and then some though.

The build quality/feel I have to give to the Volvo. The MME felt good, no doubt, but the door release and other buttons felt lower grade and there's a good amount of hard plastics. I liked the feel of the fake leather and the cabin was well dressed and hushed but the Volvo was just a cut above as you'd expect. There are almost no hard plastics to be found while even the styling seemed more refined (those air vents are gorgeous IMO). The buttons etc. just felt nicer to touch, the door releases were chrome looking and had a nice resistance to them when pulled. Here I think all the little things kind of add up to a sense of refinement the Mach doesn't have (or need?) given its purpose.

The cost of the Volvo is a little more than the MME 4X premium and a little less than a GT. Tough to speculate on value here though I know the Volvo could be had for some substantial discounts based on other peoples posts. Currently the XC40 qualifies for around 3-4k in incentives and even then you can call for "today's price" as shown online, so I bet the Volvo would be the cheaper buy. Given the large difference in range (223 on the Volvo currently and 270 on the ER Mach) I'd think the Mustang would suffer less depreciation as it's range will likely still be somewhat competitive in 5 years time where people may lol at anything under 250.

On paper the Mach has a lot more cargo capacity but it didn't seem so much different to my eye and would be enough for my needs. The Volvo also has some clever storage overall like grocery bag hooks that make for nice little touches.

One thing of note; I hear people complain about the Mach's infotainment screen being laggy and although I didn't play around with it much, it seemed OK. Definitely less responsive than the iPad-like quickness of a Tesla's panel. However, during my test drive of the XC40 the infotainment screen crashed for 2-3 minutes leaving the screen blank and non-responsive while the Volvo saleswoman stammered off that it just needs to be updated (after researching on the forums it seems this is more of a hardware issue and has been fixed under warranty for others). It eventually rebooted and worked fine.

Another note on infotainment; I kinda feel like its a wash between the two. On one hand the Mach has that giant centerpiece screen. Its beautiful and you do get a drivers panel as well, though the thin rectangle seems just slightly goofy to me. The Volvo's screen is much smaller (9" vs 15" I think) but it is responsive and its a lot of fun to say "hey google" and then give it a command or ask a question. The drivers screen is big and displays Nav really elegantly too. Another thing; Mach has wireless CarPlay and Android Auto while the Volvo doesnā€™t, though data is free and unlimited for 4 years so you can essentially use itā€™s infotainment system stand alone with Spotify/maps etc.

I'm as yet undecided. I think if I go Mach it'll definitely be GT for the acceleration (don't care how fast it is above 80, I'm too pretty to die). The Volvo's performance is absolutely plenty for my needs though. My butt-o-meter has it about equivalent to the Model 3 Long Range which is fine, my stomach can only handle so much. And while I don't need any more range than the Volvo provides, for roughly equivalent pricing it seems weird to leave 50 miles on the table.

So for me it comes down to a more luxurious experience or more range.

The future remains uncertain.

*edited for correcting factual error and grammar
Sponsored

Last edited:

Caramel

First Name
Vi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey
Country flag
I also test drove a Mach-E and the XC-40 this weekend! I have a Mach-E on order but I was considering the subscription plan on the XC-40 to tide me over until my Mach-E arrives. (The test drive of the Mach-E was just for fun, since I popped into my dealership to sign something and my sales guy asked if I wanted to take their demo for a spin).

I ruled the XC-40 out almost immediately after getting my 3 kids to sit side by side in the back seat, with the front seats adjusted to comfortable positions for me and my husband. It was noticeably tighter than the Mach-Es back seat.

However, the ride from the Volvo dealership to my house to get the kids was very enjoyable. It's a great choice.

OP
OP

Unexplainedbacon

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT hopeful
Country flag
I also test drove a Mach-E and the XC-40 this weekend! I have a Mach-E on order but I was considering the subscription plan on the XC-40 to tide me over until my Mach-E arrives. (The test drive of the Mach-E was just for fun, since I popped into my dealership to sign something and my sales guy asked if I wanted to take their demo for a spin).

I ruled the XC-40 out almost immediately after getting my 3 kids to sit side by side in the back seat, with the front seats adjusted to comfortable positions for me and my husband. It was noticeably tighter than the Mach-Es back seat.

However, the ride from the Volvo dealership to my house to get the kids was very enjoyable. It's a great choice.
My wife went with me for both drives and felt like the backseats were roughly equivalent but even a couple inches difference can feel like a lot. I have a 1 year old boy and we're gonna have another next year hopefully. Two small boston terriers too for short trips to the dog park. For as long as I'd have either car I don't suspect it'll be an issue but thanks for pointing that out!

What is the XC40 subscription plan?

Caramel

First Name
Vi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey
Country flag
My wife went with me for both drives and felt like the backseats were roughly equivalent but even a couple inches difference can feel like a lot. I have a 1 year old boy and we're gonna have another next year hopefully. Two small boston terriers too for short trips to the dog park. For as long as I'd have either car I don't suspect it'll be an issue but thanks for pointing that out!

What is the XC40 subscription plan?
My kids are 12, 9 and 6 and all tall for their ages. I'm 5'10" and my husband is 6'2". The 6 year old is still in a booster seat for every drive, and we use a booster for the 9 year old for most drives. We got the 3 of them in and it was immediately elbows and knees everywhere! :D gotta love preteens!

The biggest difference though is that the floor in front of the Mach-E is flat while the XC-40 has a hump. It won't matter for years yet for you, with babies and little kids, but it does make a difference when they get to the age my kids are.

FLmac

First Name
McKenna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 premium AWD SR space white
Occupation
RV Sales
Country flag
Another note on infotainment; Another thing; both have Apple carplay but the Mach's is wireless and the Volvo you need to plug in which is a small gripe, but one that matters a little to me.
I have been considering both the Volvo and XC40 for purchase. Everything Iā€™ve read on XC40 forums says Apple CarPlay (plugged in or wireless) isnā€™t currently available and Volvo keeps pushing the update and are now saying Spring/Summer 2022. If this is important to you Iā€™d double check it. It was a make or break for me. Iā€™m in a 2013 that doesnā€™t have that ability and it seems silly to buy a brand new car that doesnā€™t have it.

My other big factor that makes me lean towards the MME is service. The closest Volvo dealer is an hour away. If thereā€™s bugs I have to take it in for I will start to get annoyed. Thereā€™s a Ford dealer less than 10 minutes from my house and another one across the street from my job; plus two others within 30 minutes.

Thereā€˜s some things I like better about the Volvo, but lack of CarPlay now and no definitive date for it plus lack of dealer network near me are big factors.

Peaceowl

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Audi Q5
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
To me convenience is right up there with comfort. We all have our preferences, and after alot of reading I have concluded that all Ecars have their issues. Itā€™s impossible to choose the perfect car. My kids are grown but I would say by age 13 they have huge growth spurts so you might wish for a larger car. The Audi Etron are awesome. But the range is not as good.

I still like the Volvo, but didnā€™t get a chance to drive it. My eleven year old Q5 feels very much (in the seat) like the Mache and so we ordered the Premium For an easy transition. I had the Porsche Cayenne when I had teens. But dumped it soon after their high school days. It was like a tank! Felt safe. Terrible gas mileage, expensive upkeep. The Q5 has been a perfect car. Iā€™m actually keeping it for another year, plus having the MME.

all in all, the mache won out due to range and fun style. And the Audi q4 etron is not out yet in the US, plus less mileage range, Or that may have been number one pick.

OP
OP

Unexplainedbacon

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT hopeful
Country flag
@FLmac The saleswoman gave me some questionable info, I corrected my post to say that Car Play isnā€™t available which is a fairly big deal for me too. The X factor is that the XC40 has 4 years of unlimited data and can run Spotify/Maps and other android apps natively so maybe I just wouldnā€™t need my phone tethered at all. Music/Podcasts and Nav and Iā€™m good.

@Peaceowl Ive spent a lot of time trying to rationalize the price vs range differential between the two. The Volvo gets more range than an AWD std range Mach E and is probably 5k ish more after incentives etc. so the extra cost for some luxury bits and much better performance doesnā€™t seem outrageous.

The roominess is a question. I have a 1 year old and two 20lb Boston terriers. Kid #2 coming next year hopefully. Will the Volvo handle our little crew for short trips for the next 5-7 years at least? My wife has the 3 Row Ascent for out of town trips.
Sponsored