MME GT Bricked!

jonkMACHE

First Name
JK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME 4X
Honestly, I would like to get a GT PE at some point, but I'd like to see Ford address this issue as well at the 5 second power issue. I'm wondering if the 5 second power rule is meant to specifically avoid this sort of thing. Hopefully the 2023 or 2024 models will have this fixed and the GTPE can run full throttle.
Sponsored

leeman

First Name
Leith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GT
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Yesterday I tried to start my car and got the Stop Safely Now error. It also said Full Accessory Mode, or something. All accessories seem to work fine, but car was dead. I've had it since 10/20/21, I only have 5900 miles, and have never used a DC fast charger. Towed it on a flatbed to local F@#d dealer and let them know what happened. at end of the day I called to see what was going on, and the service guy says, well we only have one tech that works on EVs and there are a lot of them, so he cant look at it until next week. Asked what I'm supposed to do, are they giving me a loaner? Well, he's "looking into it" and will "talk with the manager". To me, that seems like a 3-5 minute task. Still waiting to hear back.

In the meantime, I called Ford corporate. First 6 calls were either dropped or not connected at all. Finally bypassed their stupid VM system and spoke to someone and they started a case file. Not hopeful that leads to anything productive.
It may take a lot more phone calls to Ford corporate it's good you've got a case number though make sure the dealer has it.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Honestly, I would like to get a GT PE at some point, but I'd like to see Ford address this issue as well at the 5 second power issue. I'm wondering if the 5 second power rule is meant to specifically avoid this sort of thing. Hopefully the 2023 or 2024 models will have this fixed and the GTPE can run full throttle.
It’s unlikely that the 5 second (or less) limit is meant to overcome the HVBJB contactor issue since there seem to be a lot of GT and GT-PE models with the HVBJB issue. 😱🐩

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach 1, Chevy SS-sold, GTPE delivered oct 2021
Country flag
It’s unlikely that the 5 second (or less) limit is meant to overcome the HVBJB contactor issue since there seem to be a lot of GT and GT-PE models with the HVBJB issue. 😱🐩
Agreed based on the recall.

If they knew about the contactor issue when designing the car, they would have done things differently.

dtbaker61

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.envirokarma.org
Vehicles
MME (delivered 2/26/21), DIY eMiata BEV
Occupation
Solar Sales/install
Country flag
I'm not totally sure. I'll ask for more details when I talk to them again (I was at work and disappointed that their call wasn't telling me that I could pick my car up, although I saw through the app that they were charging it).

From what I remember of the call, they updated the software to address the HVBJB recall, but it didn't seem to be the primary issue. Seems the bad 12v was the cause. Honestly, not 100% sure about the main cause yet.
12v battery problems are usually just the symptom... not getting charged properly from HV when there are problems in the HVBJB. You are *likely* to have the problem return, and you may want to make sure your Dealership has proper equipment and is trained on the HVBJB replacement which requires remove/replacing the HV battery tray from the bottom of vehicle.

LectricGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE GT
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
Welcome to the club. My GT did the same thing two weeks prior. 9,400 miles. It's been sitting at the dealership now for two weeks waiting for parts (HVBJB, BCM).

I'm hoping that the contactor in the new HVBJB has been properly redesigned to handle the load without overheating. I'm also hoping that the recall with the OTA software update to address this problem doesn't impact the car's performance too much. Maybe I'm secretly hoping that the software knows the version of the HVBJB and adjusts the time constant limitations appropriately, but reality tells me that I'm probably being overly optimistic about that.

Loved the car, until I didn't. Crossing my fingers that I don't get a gelding back after the fix.

crazyfool54

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E FE GB
Country flag
This just happened to me this weekend and got it to the dealer today. :( How do we get a case number. The people I talked to toady just kept transferring me to different departments and the dealer has no loaners. The earliest loaner I can get is in two weeks. They haven't looked at the car yet, it took them 2 hours to get it off the tow truck. The people getting it off didn't know how to put it into tow mode. Hopefully it can be fixed without new parts. 🤞

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Mach-E GT
Country flag
12v battery problems are usually just the symptom... not getting charged properly from HV when there are problems in the HVBJB. You are *likely* to have the problem return, and you may want to make sure your Dealership has proper equipment and is trained on the HVBJB replacement which requires remove/replacing the HV battery tray from the bottom of vehicle.
Uh oh... Yeah, I confirmed I didn't get an HVBJB replacement. Apparently the software update "fixed?" the issue and the Stop Safely Now message is gone, but tomorrow begins week four of it being in service... Still waiting on a 12V battery replacement. I hope my MME doesn't end up right back in there because the HVBJB wasn't replaced. 😥

OP
OP
Ro4dR4ge

Ro4dR4ge

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GT PE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
So the recall claims the issue is caused by DC charging or back to back full throttle.

You didn’t DC charge, so any more details on what happened before it bricked?

Speed, temp, acceleration and state of charge details if you remember please.
I drove my normal morning commute about 24 miles of Southern California freeway driving, generally 70-75mph. Car was fully charged overnight on my 40A ChargePoint garage system. No warnings or errors. Car was parked for all little over 2 hours when I tried to leave for a meeting.

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I drove my normal morning commute about 24 miles of Southern California freeway driving, generally 70-75mph. Car was fully charged overnight on my 40A ChargePoint garage system. No warnings or errors. Car was parked for all little over 2 hours when I tried to leave for a meeting.
Yeah….. kinda what I assumed.

Zero chance software would have prevented your cars failure.

This is a hardware issue that’s going to need a hardware fix.

If software had monitored the issue, what, it would prevent you from normally charging or prevent you from driving a short distance on the highway??

LectricGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE GT
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
If software had monitored the issue, what, it would prevent you from normally charging or prevent you from driving a short distance on the highway??
Not so much prevent, but modify. The BCM can tell the fast charger to back off, or tell the motor drives to limit power draw from the battery.

It's totally a hardware vulnerability, but can be managed (mitigated?) through software. The critical question though, is what the extent of the impact it makes on performance.

Looking at one of the recall threads, one of the posters says that they didn't notice any difference after the recall software update was applied. I'm skeptical. I don't think that this patch has been out long enough to uncover what changes it may have made to DC fast charging curves, which would impact all trim levels. Likewise, the report came from a Premium owner. Acceleration performance is likely going to be impacted only on the GT trims, as these have the larger motors (and thus the higher current demands under hard acceleration). I'm expecting that the update has no impact on the Select and Premium trims, including eAWD when it comes to driving performance.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
Not so much prevent, but modify. The BCM can tell the fast charger to back off, or tell the motor drives to limit power draw from the battery.
<SNIP>
Right, but @Ro4dR4ge said that he used an AC L2 EVSE, not a DCFC. I assume the car can throttle output from its onboard charger so that it pulls less from the AC EVSE, but the necessity to throttle L2 would mean that any DCFC rate would be too much for the contactors. 😱🐩

Mach1E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

It's totally a hardware vulnerability, but can be managed (mitigated?) through software. The critical question though, is what the extent of the impact it makes on performance.

Looking at one of the recall threads, one of the posters says that they didn't notice any difference after the recall software update was applied. I'm skeptical. I don't think that this patch has been out long enough to uncover what changes it may have made to DC fast charging curves, which would impact all trim levels. Likewise, the report came from a Premium owner. Acceleration performance is likely going to be impacted only on the GT trims, as these have the larger motors (and thus the higher current demands under hard acceleration). I'm expecting that the update has no impact on the Select and Premium trims, including eAWD when it comes to driving performance.
Sounds like “turtle mode” to me.

I’ll say it again, if the hardware can’t handle normal charging and driving, they need to fix the hardware.

It should be able to handle that AND more! You should be able to drive fast, DC charge, accelerate quickly and repeat without your car having a complete failure.

If the solution is to slow your car down (charging or otherwise) it is not a solution.

“Bandaids don’t fix bullet holes.”
-Taylor Swift

OP
OP
Ro4dR4ge

Ro4dR4ge

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-e GT PE
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Update: Dealer is going to replace the HVBJB, but it is backordered with no ETA. They did offer a rental car though, so i got that goin for me.

LectricGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MachE GT
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Country flag
I share in your pain. Mine's still open for the same reason.

Almost wish I could just put a massive knife switch on the floorboard where you'd normally find a shifter.
Sponsored