Hamme

Hamme

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Mustang Mach-E Premium AWD
In addition to my previous post, I also delved into the service history of the car. Approximately four months and 500 miles prior to my purchase, the vehicle was at the dealership I bought it from for electrical work. I expected the service history to provide more comprehensive details, akin to what the Lexus website offers. It's surprising they didn't catch this issue before they sold it to me.
Sponsored

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
The HVJB is unrelated and the dealer is probably just getting that out of the way.

It was only after 6+ months of ownership that I was able to access my service records. About a week after that I was able to access the prior owners records (but they're terribly empty.."Tires, Service")

OP
OP
Hamme

Hamme

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The HVJB is unrelated and the dealer is probably just getting that out of the way.

It was only after 6+ months of ownership that I was able to access my service records. About a week after that I was able to access the prior owners records (but they're terribly empty.."Tires, Service")
That makes sense since my Vin wasn’t picked for a recall. So are you thinking the 12v battery dying was the problem then. Okay that’s cool i’m glad they do actually keep a detailed service record!

azerik

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Spacey Prem4x, '21 RX450H, 13 Focus EV
Occupation
DevSecOps, General PITA
Country flag
That pop you heard is pretty common whenthe LVB is low, the amp starts clipping for the audio. It'll also cause all kinds of warnings and things to not wake up or run right. The misconception is the HVB runs all of the car when it's actually the LVB that runs the modules that connect the car to run. Loose terminal, or shot battery creates a mess.
I'm sorry you had to go through this.

I don't have the previous owners service records and the records in Fordpass are sparse to say the least. This entry includes 1 month at the dealer. New IPC + reprogramming, 4 new door buttons, and reprogramming, brake harnesses, and reprogramming, 3 SSM's, HVJB and more. But you'd never know the details.

Ford Mustang Mach-E MME loses function 5 days after buying it IMG_6618

Space_Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Premium Mach-E awdX
Country flag
After persistently calling the dealership, I finally got through. They informed me that the HVBJB needs to be replaced and have ordered the part, which won't arrive until Thursday. Unfortunately, my car won't be ready by the weekend, and I'm unsure how to arrange a courtesy vehicle. Has anyone dealt with this recall before? Will my car be more reliable after the repair, or should I consider returning it and going back to an IVE VEHICLE? I'm worried about future repairs once the warranty expires. Also sucks that this car will be serviced at the dealership for longer than i’ve even had the car.
I wouldn't have an EV without a L2 charger at home in my garage. Do you anticipate getting a home L2 charger installed at your home. Around here there aren't enough L3 chargers to rely on. An EV is nice but not if you can't charge it.

OP
OP
Hamme

Hamme

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I went to the dealership today to check on my car. After talking to the parts department, I was informed that Ford initially denied the dealership access to another HVBJB for my car since it was already replaced in August 2022. After days of back-and-forth, they managed to order another HVBJB, which should arrive by Friday. Unfortunately, the EV techs won't be able to replace the part until Tuesday at the earliest.

I still haven't received a clear explanation of what caused the "Stop Safely Now" error. However, after monitoring my FordPass app for the past week, nothing has shown up—no errors, and the vehicle health status is good with no active alerts. This has left me genuinely confused.

I asked if I could drive my car until they were ready to work on it, but they said no. I also can't get a loaner since the dealership doesn’t offer them, but I was offered $40 per day for a rental. However, being under 25, car rentals start at $100 a day for me, which isn't very helpful.

I wouldn’t be so frustrated but i know that many MME owners are facing similar issues and that the dealership is backed up. But at this point, the dealership has had my car longer than I have, and it's really annoying to go another weekend without it.

I also got to wondering if this issue will arise after another two years of ownership. Anyone who’s had a failed HVBJB how is your car now how many miles have you put on it and have you needed to get another one? I’ve seen posts of people getting theirs replaced same day - 24hr and it just makes me so jealous and sad.

I'd really appreciate hearing from anyone who's been through this—how's your car holding up now? I genuinely fear getting stuck outside again driving this car.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hamme

Hamme

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I wouldn't have an EV without a L2 charger at home in my garage. Do you anticipate getting a home L2 charger installed at your home. Around here there aren't enough L3 chargers to rely on. An EV is nice but not if you can't charge it.
Yes I planned on installing a charger at home when i move out of my current place in august.

HuntingPudel

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 MME GT-PE, 1979 Fire-Am, 1972 K/5 Blazer
Occupation
Engineering
Country flag
I went to the dealership today to check on my car. After talking to the parts department, I was informed that Ford initially denied the dealership access to another HVBJB for my car since it was already replaced in August 2022. After days of back-and-forth, they managed to order another HVBJB, which should arrive by Friday. Unfortunately, the EV techs won't be able to replace the part until Tuesday at the earliest.

I still haven't received a clear explanation of what caused the "Stop Safely Now" error. However, after monitoring my FordPass app for the past week, nothing has shown up—no errors, and the vehicle health status is good with no active alerts. This has left me genuinely confused.

I asked if I could drive my car until they were ready to work on it, but they said no. I also can't get a loaner since the dealership doesn’t offer them, but I was offered $40 per day for a rental. However, being under 25, car rentals start at $100 a day for me, which isn't very helpful.

I wouldn’t be so frustrated but i know that many MME owners are facing similar issues and that the dealership is backed up. But at this point, the dealership has had my car longer than I have, and it's really annoying to go another weekend without it.

I also got to wondering if this issue will arise after another two years of ownership. Anyone who’s had a failed HVBJB how is your car now how many miles have you put on it and have you needed to get another one? I’ve seen posts of people getting theirs replaced same day - 24hr and it just makes me so jealous and sad.

I'd really appreciate hearing from anyone who's been through this—how's your car holding up now? I genuinely fear getting stuck outside again driving this car.
The FordPass app only lets you know information about major alerts. If you haven’t already done so, ask the volunteers on the FDRS thread to check your VIN for the Diagnostic Test Codes (DTCs) currently on your car. 🤔🐩

I failed the original HVBJB on my ‘21 GT-PE in August of ‘23. It was replaced after over a week’s wait with a remanufactured part with second-generation specs (LK9Z-10C666-BRM, which is a different part than your car uses). I have not had a problem with it again, but since there is a third generation part since November, I plan on trying to blow it up again so that I can get the third generation part. 🤷‍♂️🐩

That said, the failure rate is known to be highest in GTs, lower in Extended battery cars, and lowest in standard battery cars. Coincidentally, those are the three differentiators in the type of HVBJB used. The failure rates are influenced by the amount of power the part sees. Since GTs are able to draw the most power, they have the highest failure rate. 🤔🐩

i hope your car gets fixed soon. The stories of same day replacement are suspect since dealers don’t have the part in stock and it takes at least a day to get the part. There have been some stories of next day replacement, but that’s so super-rare. A 1 week timetable seems to be (even at this point in history) a little shorter than average. On the flip side, there’s a new car that failed leaving the dealer’s lot right after purchase that I believe took several weeks to diagnose and repair. In the early days of failures, it was not uncommon for cars to be down for over a month, some for several months. Every dealer is different and things are evolving. 🤔🐩
Sponsored